Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jun 1, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #12,316 of 37,705
My audiophile set up

Source : ak 100 Gold Japan Edition
Amp : Ko. Jo KM 01 brass edition
Iems : JH 16 Pro FP and Earsonic SM 64 v1
Cable : mini to mini Crystal cable Dream line 3 braids

SQ : it is true audiophile sound quality for jazz and audiophile recording
You will like it this set up , specially for jazz vocal

IMO

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #12,317 of 37,705
  I don't know why you guys want LOD, use the headphone out, it's clean.  LOD will not make a difference.  That is not an LOD, that's a DAC that's pictured, if youre going to do that, why not just get an external DAC.  Isn't the new ios supporting external DACs using camera kit without requiring the device to be certified?

There is certainly an LOD in the chain, it's the FiiO and it is extracting Line Out analog audio from the Apple Lightning > 30-pin dock adapter.
In my testing I prefer this much more to double amping as I feel I get a much more silent background in the final sound's presentation.

Yes, certainly an option to get an external DAC (other than what is included in the Apple Lightning > 30-pin), however my 'On The Go' rig has a very specific purpose and the DAC/AMP combo would have to work 'in-line' with the Adapter/LOD combo for it to be considered. 
In this situation I can't 'rubber-band' devices together for this Rig's purpose.

So far the only thing I have seen that comes close to compete with my current solution is the HRT Microstreamer, and that looks just a little too large for what I need in this rig.

If you can suggest any other DAC/AMP combos I can use in this same way with a current gen Lightning/iOS 7 iPhone as a source, I'd be happy to take a look. Thanks!

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #12,318 of 37,705
  There is certainly an LOD in the chain, it's the FiiO and it is extracting Line Out analog audio from the Apple Lightning > 30-pin dock adapter.
In my testing I prefer this much more to double amping as I feel I get a much more silent background in the final sound's presentation.

Yes, certainly an option to get an external DAC (other than what is included in the Apple Lightning > 30-pin), however my 'On The Go' rig has a very specific purpose and the DAC/AMP combo would have to work 'in-line' with the Adapter/LOD combo for it to be considered. 
In this situation I can't 'rubber-band' devices together for this Rig's purpose.

So far the only thing I have seen that comes close to compete with my current solution is the HRT Microstreamer, and that looks just a little too large for what I need in this rig.

If you can suggest any other DAC/AMP combos I can use in this same way with a current gen Lightning/iOS 7 iPhone as a source, I'd be happy to take a look. Thanks!

Didn't know there was an analog on one of the pins, I thought lightening was all digital?  The old had analog signal in addition to digital.   You sure it isn't DA'd signal?  I cannot recommend external DAC as I have not used many external DACs.  The iphone 5 HP out should be silent.  An amp to it will not create noise. Perhaps your amp has too much gain.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #12,319 of 37,705
  Didn't know there was an analog on one of the pins, I thought lightening was all digital?  The old had analog signal in addition to digital.   You sure it isn't DA'd signal?  I cannot recommend external DAC as I have not used many external DACs.  The iphone 5 HP out should be silent.  An amp to it will not create noise. Perhaps your amp has too much gain.

Lightning IS all digital.  But the official lightning to 30-pin adapter has an embedded Wolfson DAC chip, as described here:

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/blog/inside-the-apple-lightning-to-30-pin-adapter/

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #12,320 of 37,705

The reason I went through all the trouble is actually to use that specific amp. It's sound / size ratio is too good for me to use anything else I have.

Using headphone out would be much more convenient for sure and would't mind testing again.
What volume do you have your iPhone 5 at when you double amp?

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #12,321 of 37,705
  I don't know why you guys want LOD, use the headphone out, it's clean.  LOD will not make a difference.  That is not an LOD, that's a DAC that's pictured, if youre going to do that, why not just get an external DAC.  Isn't the new ios supporting external DACs using camera kit without requiring the device to be certified?

Already does but theres a very low mA restriction. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #12,324 of 37,705
Jun 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #12,325 of 37,705

Been looking like crazy for a more streamlined solution so thanks for your link, I am going to check that out.

Quite innovative! How do you play music on your iPhone or iDevice? Spotify? iTunes ALAC?

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #12,330 of 37,705
Posted this in the X5 thread a while ago, but it might belong here as well. This combo works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back