Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 16, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #8,779 of 37,653
Rather impressed with this R3 dual dynamic by Brainwavs coming out my Studio.
The rather strange looking acoustic chamber gives them a unique soundstage experience.
Their aluminum housing also seems to reflect in their timbre. 
Not bad at all for $129 offering. The fit may not be everyone's cup of tea but if you can get it right you'll be rewarded.

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #8,780 of 37,653
We could also take advantage of the balanced output of RWAK120-B and go for perform something like this:

RWAK120-B > 4-pin TRRS to RSA balanced cable > Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Duet > RSA to RSA balanced cable > ALO Rx Mk3-B+ > balanced headphone cable

Both AlgoRhythm Duet (preamp) and Rx Mk3-B+ (amp) are pretty much having the same size so the stack should look quite neat:

4.5 x 2.8 x 0.9 inches ; 7.2 ounces

http://www.amazon.com/Cypher-Labs-AlgoRhythm-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00H9L2B28

2.9 x 4.5 x 0.9 inches ; 9.8 ounces

http://www.amazon.com/ALO-audio-ALO-2217-Mk3--Black/dp/B00DZVY53O

Of course we could also replace RWAK120-B with AlgoRhythm Solo -db plus another excellent source such as Sony NW-ZX1 etc. Or go completely single-ended if we prefer the sound of KM01-BRASS.

[rule]
Heck, what if we just do a double whammy by stacking a pair of KM01-BRASS instead so balanced output could be created just like this?

Not an easy task to pull that off IMHO but still worth a try?

Is that the same friend who helped you with both iPhone 4S mod and DB-2 mod?

I wonder what would it costs to build a solid brass case by your friend versus getting that done for O2 with 3D printers. Then the case could be gold-plated afterwards instead of always wrapping the amp with a piece of cloth.

Something similar could be done for the housing/chasis of an iPhone or Sony NW-ZX1 etc. Instead of 24K gold like the ones from Gold & Co. London, we'll just go for solid brass if that were actually changing the sound.

Any info/page how to split the channel? Im curious since I have 2 same amps :D

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #8,781 of 37,653
Any info/page how to split the channel? Im curious since I have 2 same amps
biggrin.gif

+1! I should be able to source two matching amps as well... 

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #8,783 of 37,653
Rather impressed with this R3 dual dynamic by Brainwavs coming out my Studio.

The rather strange looking acoustic chamber gives them a unique soundstage experience.

Their aluminum housing also seems to reflect in their timbre. 

Not bad at all for $129 offering. The fit may not be everyone's cup of tea but if you can get it right you'll be rewarded.

Totally agree was pleasantly surprised by them

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #8,784 of 37,653
I sold my Grado SR60's a little while ago to a dear friend from school.
I do miss them but its nice to see they've gone to a good home and introduced another friend to the hobby :) 

Sorry about your wallet Dave! lol :p

iPod Touch.
Unknown Interconnect.
Just Audio AHA-120.
Grado SR60.

He is a member here but I don't know his username yet lol!

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #8,786 of 37,653
I sold my Grado SR60's a little while ago to a dear friend from school.
I do miss them but its nice to see they've gone to a good home and introduced another friend to the hobby :) 

Sorry about your wallet Dave! lol :p

iPod Touch.
Unknown Interconnect.
Just Audio AHA-120.
Grado SR60.

He is a member here but I don't know his username yet lol!

*__*
AHA-120 *drools*

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #8,788 of 37,653
Where it all started.

No expensive amps. No external DACs. No overpriced ICs. Just an iPod and a pair of on-ears (granted the first time, they were PortaPros...)

Those were the days, before addiction kicked in with a healthy wallet in hand. Before curiosity began playing chess with audiophile devils.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #8,789 of 37,653

my humble beginning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back