Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 15, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #8,746 of 37,602
Basically its like this:

AMP(High Noise)---AMP (High Noise) = Distortion due to excess current from 2 amps.

Line Out(Low Noise,Low Output)---Amp(High Noise,High Output)= No distortion unless amp is poor quality.

A line out is usually 2-3volts or less compared to an amp like iBasso PB2 which can do 20-30volts.

An Arrow 4G is about 12volts (might be wrong) and its a dinky little thing.

Imagine a PB2 feeding a PB2. Actually dont even imagine that, just makes my grind my teeth.

My car stereo is 1100w RMS (500w components and 600w subwoofer) fed by 8V preamps and the gain/volume on the 3 amps is barely at 2/10.

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #8,747 of 37,602
Was that optical output from AK100 or REALLY coaxial mod like this AK100 B-Spec from Japan?

http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/blog/?p=10319

http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail24481.html

http://www.sara-mac.com/audio/ak100-b-spec.html

http://ameblo.jp/hasura2323/entry-11636075173.html

http://oyaide-blog.blogspot.com/2013/05/coax-r2m.html

http://info.m-s-tech.jp/?eid=75

That's gonna be quite interesting to replace DB-2 with HiFiMAN HM-901 / HM-802 / HM-801 (for DAC section only) unless that DB-2 mod did something magical.

Adding Kojo KM01-BRASS in the middle also seemed to be an intriguing piece of puzzle so there might be something special about that. There must be more crazy combinations that could take things to another level.

Ak 100 mod as pure 100 % transport , he mod the line in to coax out and hp out remain optical out

I don't know about japan ak 100 B .

My friend at singapore Mook saw somebody done the same thing like my friend , without dac
Ak 100 / ak 120 > A2P TU 05 > Ko Jo Km 01 volume turn to the max
I will post later the picture

You will hear the sq different with Ko Jo km 01 in the middle

Please try it

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #8,750 of 37,602
My desktop rig is more portable than that. T_T

That stopped being portable a long time ago.
Why would you need a preamp when you have a DAC?

Agreed, I really don't see the point in that rig at all.. so much redundancy.

One of those cases of people getting far too carried away..

If I can't hold it comfortably in one hand, it's not portable. A Fiio X3 with an iBasso PB2 is the maximum for me.

because $$$. :p

Because double amping/DACing = fail.

Do I detect a hint of jealousy? :wink:....

Oh plz, Lee.

If I wanted some amps, I could grab a few, and still have some cash left over to fly to Hawaii and relax by your beaches. :wink:  
Sadly, double amping was never proven to be a failure:)

I don't understand double amping. I had a conversation via PM about double amping the Clip Zip with the JDS Labs C5.
So double amping actually helped in that case...but why and how? o.0

[rule]
Just to re-confirm, this does work with the Clip Zip, but it has to be re-formatted to FAT32.

Me neither, to be honest, haha.

Well, there's no proof that double-amping shouldn't be giving us an improvement over not double-amping. Our trusty reviewer, ClieOS said it himself that double-amping isn't bad, but rather beneficial (Lost the quote somewhere). 

Time for you to head over the Sound Science threads to find out for us, why:)

Double amping leads to a lowering of the SNR. Double DACing colours the sound

Not audible but not desirable either especially if you use high quality amps and interconnects.

Ruins the whole chain since its a high noise high current to a high noise high transfer instead of the low noise, low current of a line-out to a high noise high current.

Ah, I see what you're getting at. We're getting too specific here, and you've got me lost:)

Basically its like this:

AMP(High Noise)---AMP (High Noise) = Distortion due to excess current from 2 amps.

Line Out(Low Noise,Low Output)---Amp(High Noise,High Output)= No distortion unless amp is poor quality.

A line out is usually 2-3volts or less compared to an amp like iBasso PB2 which can do 20-30volts.

Imagine a PB2 feeding a PB2. Actually dont even imagine that, just makes my grind my teeth.

My car stereo is 1100w RMS (500w components and 600w subwoofer) fed by 8V preamps and the gain/volume on the 3 amps is barely at 2/10.

Thank you all for the comment
Our goal is only how far can we drive portable set u nearly desktop amp in term sq bad power wise

The secret in this set up is Ko Jo KM 01 amp

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #8,751 of 37,602
  Basically its like this:

Like I've said, you've lost me when we got specific:) Sorry, haha..I tried to comprehend..

Imagine..a stack of 20 PB2's! Cringing now? 
basshead.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #8,754 of 37,602
  Me neither, to be honest, haha.

Well, there's no proof that double-amping shouldn't be giving us an improvement over not double-amping. Our trusty reviewer, ClieOS said it himself that double-amping isn't bad, but rather beneficial (Lost the quote somewhere). 

Time for you to head over the Sound Science threads to find out for us, why:)

I believe I keep that quote bookmarked for special occasions. And might I say very much agree with ClieOS.

Double amping

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #8,755 of 37,602
Thanks Rudi for showing us the creative way of using kojo amp as preamp. I spent an hour today using x3mod lo to kojo (max vol) po to my deskstop amp.. Adding a bit of kojo brass flavour to my hd650. Very fun and distortion free.
When set to max vol po, kojo has less power than x3 1.7V lo.
I will try to use with hm901 later.
AnakChan is right, the lo of hm901 is very powrful.. I think maybe full 2.0V

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #8,756 of 37,602
Thank you all my friends to share your opinion

The important point on this set up is Ko Jo KM 01 Amp

Ak 100 transport with optical out > ibasso DB 2 line out > Ko Jo KM 01 line in volume maxx hp out > ALO International line In> ALO international
Hp out

Sq excellent

At Mook Singapore headphone festival

Ak 100 stock hp out > Ko Jo KM 01 line in volume maxx , use hp out > A2P line in > hp out

Sq is excellent too

Please try it who own Ko Jo KM 01 amp our experience
You will surprise how the SQ improvement

Note :
If your amp is not as good as Ko Jo KM 01 ,this is not so good for double amping.

Our opinion

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #8,758 of 37,602
Every time you add an amp after a portable dac, you are 'double amping'. Almost all portable dacs use an opamp, or other amp stage, to get to line level. Many home systems have pre-amps feeding power amps. Double amping issues are grossly over generalized.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #8,759 of 37,602
I thought this was the pictures of your portable rig, but I all I see is walls of text on double amping. Is it too much to ask someone to post a double amping thread and post pictures in this one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back