Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jul 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #5,747 of 37,599
I think so yeah. Improves the sound slightly in every department. The sansa is a bit tame sounding I think.

I think the benefit of it is neutralized by double amping but then again I'm a purist that way.

Clip always sounded fine to me via headphone out.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #5,748 of 37,599
Quote:
I think the benefit of it is neutralized by double amping but then again I'm a purist that way.

Clip always sounded fine to me via headphone out.

Double amping isn't that big of a problem. The sansa has a very clean output, I also adjust the volume on the sansa, and keep the volume on the e6 high to minimize the noise from the sansa. 
It does sound fine straight from the headphone out, but I found it to lack a bit of dynamics with my headphones.
Also, hooking an amp to any line-out is somewhat double amping. It's not like that signal is perfect, it's probably also amped, just less so.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #5,749 of 37,599
Double amping isn't that big of a problem. The sansa has a very clean output, I also adjust the volume on the sansa, and keep the volume on the e6 high to minimize the noise from the sansa. 
It does sound fine straight from the headphone out, but I found it to lack a bit of dynamics with my headphones.
Also, hooking an amp to any line-out is somewhat double amping. It's not like that signal is perfect, it's probably also amped, just less so.

That's the point of the line out is to bypass the amp. I don't know of any true line outs that's amped.

I think the "proper" way to amp a hpo is to max the volume to simulate the lo and adjust volume via the amp.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #5,750 of 37,599
Quote:
That's the point of the line out is to bypass the amp. I don't know of any true line outs that's amped.

I think the "proper" way to amp a hpo is to max the volume to simulate the lo and adjust volume via the amp.

You don't ever want to max the volume on the output that has the most noise. I think the amp of the sansa has more noise than the E6. I keep the E6 at about 70-80% and the sansa at 30-50% I guess. No noise when I do this. Maxing any of the amps will cause noise. 
The signal of the LO is amped in some way, this signal does not come straight from the dac. Although I'm not an expert on the area, I've read this multiple times. Obviously it's better to use a LO if possible, but the difference is very marginal, I doubt anyone can hear the difference at normal volumes (unless the HPO is like 50 ohms or something high). 
In comparison, when I use the headphone out of my hisoundaudio rocoo p, there is a lot of noise, this is without double amping.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #5,751 of 37,599
You don't ever want to max the volume on the output that has the most noise. I think the amp of the sansa has more noise than the E6. I keep the E6 at about 70-80% and the sansa at 30-50% I guess. No noise when I do this. Maxing any of the amps will cause noise. 
The signal of the LO is amped in some way, this signal does not come straight from the dac. Although I'm not an expert on the area, I've read this multiple times. Obviously it's better to use a LO if possible, but the difference is very marginal, I doubt anyone can hear the difference at normal volumes (unless the HPO is like 50 ohms or something high). 
In comparison, when I use the headphone out of my hisoundaudio rocoo p, there is a lot of noise, this is without double amping.
I have almost the same setup (rockboxed clip+ with fiio e6) and the best way to double amp it is to put the Sansa's volume 3 clicks down from full and then adjust listening volume via e6,

And I could definitely hear a difference between LO and HPO on all of my iPods

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #5,752 of 37,599
Quote:

What noise? There were some Clip+ players that some people heard some noise from, but I never have heard anyone claim that for the Clip Zip. 

If you do amp it, ( I occasionally do with a couple headphones that need a little extra juice) , for one, I hope you are using ReplayGain, and have enabled the "prevent clipping" setting (assuming you are running Rockbox, and if you are not, why the heck not?). With that enabled, you can quite literally max the volume, (assuming you have not enabled any RG pre-amp boost) and then simply control your volume with the amp. I think if you're not maxing or nearly maxing the Sansa, then you are not going to get your full dynamic range.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #5,753 of 37,599
Replay gain Is only necessary if you don't have an amp, also you don't really need prevent clipping if your using an amp.

The music shouldn't clip with an amp because its powerful enough

Without those settings enabled the source will be cleaner

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #5,754 of 37,599
My latest combo:

Rx MK2 + EX1000 + DIYmod with Unknown Caps + Pure Silver LOD = $10,000.00 sound

For the first time since I became a head-fi'er, I understand what it means by day and night difference. Everything in that equation can be replaced by something else, except one thing. Even the flac's can be downgraded to the mp3's.

P.S. Battery is self charging during playback.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #5,755 of 37,599
Ok I have a question that's totally off topic but I'm posting it her because I know how populated this thread is

I need to find an external dac that does virtual 5.1 or 7.1

Kind of like how astro has the mix amp and turtle beach has the dss, but if I were to buy one of those I would have to double amp it because I play games with my arrow 4g

I'm gonna hook the sound processor up to my ps3 via optical cable and then run my arrow 4g from that to my ue 6000, (it'll be awesome for battlefield 3)

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #5,756 of 37,599
Quote:

What noise? There were some Clip+ players that some people heard some noise from, but I never have heard anyone claim that for the Clip Zip. 

If you do amp it, ( I occasionally do with a couple headphones that need a little extra juice) , for one, I hope you are using ReplayGain, and have enabled the "prevent clipping" setting (assuming you are running Rockbox, and if you are not, why the heck not?). With that enabled, you can quite literally max the volume, (assuming you have not enabled any RG pre-amp boost) and then simply control your volume with the amp. I think if you're not maxing or nearly maxing the Sansa, then you are not going to get your full dynamic range.

Aah well, maybe that is the best way, but I seriously dislike the volume control on the E6. I did hear noise when I maxed out the sansa, but I guess the E6 was on high volume too when I did that. I have rockboxed the sansa, but the UI is lackluster. So I went back to the standard OS. Also, there really is no added SQ when doing this unless you really need replaygain, or other EQ features. I never max out on the sansa so I never have clipping.
I actually love the standard UI of the sansa clip zip. I love how good audiobooks work, and how simple it is to do find artists. I also think the EQ is fine, and I don't really use it anyway. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #5,758 of 37,599
My audio bliss.

iPod Nano 3rd Gen (my first ever DAP) -> AudioMinor LOD (Upgrading to a hybrid LOD soon) -> JDS Labs C5 -> V-Moda M-100

This simple rig has got some magic to it. It makes me like songs I've never been a fan of before:)

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #5,760 of 37,599
Quote:
Sounds like a man who is happy with his rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

That must be me as I logged 15 hrs of music just yesterday.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back