Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jul 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #5,463 of 37,693
Quote:
Sorry, the ODAC doesn't have the apple certification to pull the digital signal from the iPods.  Only Cypher Labs, Venturecraft, Fostex, and now CEntrance have the certification.  I might have missed one...

You could use a line out dock (LOD) to get a line out signal to an amp instead.

Missed ADL

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #5,465 of 37,693
Quote:
Ok, thanks. Do you know what the least expensive ipod compatible DAC is from one of the companies Jeff named?

I've used quite a few of these DACs and performance wise I enjoyed the VentureCraft DD Socket 1 the most. The cheapest is probably a used Fostex HP-P1 or the Sony PHA-1 new. Both are good, but have relatively high OI's for IEMs. There are other differences both sonically and feature sets, but if you are only using the DAC section than I would go with the Fostex (on a budget). 

Quote:
Sorry, the ODAC doesn't have the apple certification to pull the digital signal from the iPods.  Only Cypher Labs, Venturecraft, Fostex, and now CEntrance have the certification.  I might have missed one...

You missed the Sony PHA-1 and the V-Moda Verza. 
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #5,466 of 37,693
Quote:

You missed the Sony PHA-1 and the V-Moda Verza. 
wink.gif

Right, those two, though the V-moda is just a rebranded Venturecraft.  Greed is right, the Fostex and Sony are most likely the lowest cost, but if you have hard to drive phones, these are the two I would most likely pass on...

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #5,467 of 37,693

?

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xq7s-me9lUc[/video]

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #5,470 of 37,693
OK, I admit I am an ipodaholic. Here are the 8 ipods I have collected (at one point I had 10, then I killed one and got rid of one). Currently these 8 ipods give me a total of 888 GB's.  I didn't intentionally make the 888 and it just happens to be this number. No kidding. Man I love number 8.

My rocking chair where I normally enjoy listening to my music. Too bad it's not portable.

Just got another Alo amp wallet today. The new one used better material. Also the transparent plastic cover now works great for the 7g's click wheel due to thinner, softer and more sensitive material used. I am very happy with this one.

The killer gear ,to my ears, is the one levitating thanks to Apple, Kemet, Sony and Leckerton.

Normally I'm a bit sanctimonious about members with GAS. (Gear acquisition syndrome.) But Wow! That is one cool collection and no you are not nuts that must be a lot of fun. Particularly like the giant iPod. Or is it a tiny armchair? :)

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #5,471 of 37,693
Quote:

That's the ole "camera kit from an iPad" trick.  I'm aware of that trick, but useless from an iPod.....

I'm pretty sure this can be done with an ALO International amp/dac and spare yourself all those boxes and cables.

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #5,473 of 37,693
Quote:

Using a CCK nulls "true" lineout. Also, the ODAC is not apple certified. Meaning JDS (or whatever manu you decide to buy from) didn't pay Apple to utilize their proprietaries. The key words from Jeff is "apple certification". 

Not sure exactly what you're saying with this?

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #5,474 of 37,693
Quote:

Not sure exactly what you're saying with this?

Where am I unclear? Using the CCK with an iPad works great to connect USB DACs, but it doesn't work well with an iPod. When you factor all these components in, you're bordering the "transportable" realm. Not many people want to carry around all these things just to avoid using one of the other "apple certified" DACs. That would defeat the purpose of a portable device. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back