Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Apr 4, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #19,666 of 37,670

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #19,667 of 37,670

pono player v1 > sennheiser 229's > sitting on suitcase enjoying WAR @ 24bit

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #19,670 of 37,670
Since you asked
biggrin.gif

what amp is that?

*edit: found out a few post back =/

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #19,672 of 37,670
Pono V1? Is there a V2?

Pono v2 spotted:

Seriously, I know one is in the works, whether it ever ships I just don't know. 
The new features rumored are remote control by smartphone, better screen, and better battery. Sound circuits will probably stay the same (thank god).

These are very thin rumors. There's no guarantee Pono Inc. survives as a viable business. They delivered on their kickstarter promise but it's a hard business selling quality digital music and a device with no profit margin that people won't replace for decades.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #19,673 of 37,670

Pono v2 spotted:

Seriously, I know one is in the works, whether it ever ships I just don't know. 
The new features rumored are remote control by smartphone, better screen, and better battery. Sound circuits will probably stay the same (thank god).

These are very thin rumors. There's no guarantee Pono Inc. survives as a viable business. They delivered on their kickstarter promise but it's a hard business selling quality digital music and a device with no profit margin that people won't replace for decades.

LMAO...

I have heard rumors too. Sheer conjecture, but I think the way it will play out is, Neil backs out slowly, Ayre steps in and they do V2 as a crowdfunded venture again. Remote control by smartphone, I couldn't care less. Better battery and a better touchscreen (or perhaps better physical controls?), now you're talking. Honestly, if I could get the Pono sound in the FiiO X5's tank-like package, I'd be a happy camper, but life isn't like that, is it :)....

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #19,675 of 37,670

LMAO...

I have heard rumors too. Sheer conjecture, but I think the way it will play out is, Neil backs out slowly, Ayre steps in and they do V2 as a crowdfunded venture again. Remote control by smartphone, I couldn't care less. Better battery and a better touchscreen (or perhaps better physical controls?), now you're talking. Honestly, if I could get the Pono sound in the FiiO X5's tank-like package, I'd be a happy camper, but life isn't like that, is it :)....

Sounds plausible. I think Neil proved several points with the PP -- 1 - that you could actually deliver portable signal chain like that for under $500; 2 - that enough people care and will hear a difference; and 3 - it's a hard business to rely on selling digital music and devices that don't require constant upgrades.

I'd like the see the Harmon-Kardon licensing talk play out and the guts of PonoPlayer put into car stereos. People talk smack about car audio but that's where millions of people listen to their music, and road noise or not car audio systems put out a lot of sound. They are very influential on people's stereo belief systems and purchasing. HD hi-res audio in cars could be a new feature soon.

In my 2003 I have to run the PP through the tape deck and even that sounds pretty damn good, better than tape, CD, or MP3. 

The truth is that most people have more speaker beef laying around than amp/dac beef.  Simple DAPs like the Fiio and Pono make everything you plug them into sound better.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #19,678 of 37,670
Apr 7, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #19,679 of 37,670
Apr 7, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #19,680 of 37,670
iem Chord&Major 8'13 Rock & DAP Fiio X5 (firmware 2.6)= Awesome sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back