Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jan 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #1,771 of 37,656
So nice to see another quality Android based rig! Looks very good. Interesting that the Hakshop cable is prone to disconnection, nil trouble here with that on my Note 2.

When I got the cable the red end already seemed to be lacking in quality.. probably a bad one in the bunch. Prongs were nearly flush to the connector making it loose and the end even began to bend easily. It's close to being bent off at this point.

I'm stuck with an OTG adapter for now until I can find someone who can make a mini <-> mini otg cable or I'll have to slice open a venturecraft one and solder together a couple wires to make an OTG cable myself.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #1,772 of 37,656
It's been long enough now and enough significant changes have taken place with my rig to warrant an updated picture.

The CLAS/iPod Classic is still here but added recently are Final Audio Design's magnificent Piano Forte IX's and the equally magnificent new release from Analog Squared Paper the portable (well, OK, transportable.. Actually, no! Portable as I take it with me to my local coffee shop) class A TU-05 tube amp.

The sound is simply wonderful, this feels more like a full sized set up than a portable. Battery life on the amp is around 7 hours which is more than enough for me.

Congrats Ian for your new tube amp
Piano forte IX + TU - 05 = sound excellent
Am I right Ian ?

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,773 of 37,656
Oh Rudi. I really hope you manage to get one of these amps, I think you would love it!

Good to hear from you my friend.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,774 of 37,656
Are you seriously lugging around a tube amp? Maybe they're not as fragile as I thought - I can't fathom taking that thing off a desktop.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,775 of 37,656
A bit of a derail here, but out of genuine concern, I offer you the 12-step program for headphone addicts:

1. Admitted we were powerless over headphones and other kick-ass audio products.
2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our gear over to the care of Jude as we understood him.
4. Made a fearless and searching inventory of our audio gear.
5. Admitted to Jude, to ourselves, and another head-fier the exact nature of our audio gear.
6. Were entirely ready to have Jude relieve us of our audio gear so that he can sell it on the for sale thread.
7. Humbly asked him to just take the damn gear already.
8. Made a list of all head-fiers we had made snarky comments towards, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends when possible, except when doing so would cause their egos to inflate or inspire them to buy even more gear.
10. Continued to take inventory of our audio products, and when we broke down and bought something, promptly sold it on the for sale thread to somebody from Latvia with absolutely no feedback.
11. Through well-written reviews and cleverly designed, Jude-inspired avatars, sought to improve our conscious contact with Jude, asking only for knowledge of the next great pair of headphones or dap before anybody else learned about it so that we could start a thread and seem really smart to other head-fiers.
12. Having finally smelt the proverbial coffee as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicted head-fiers, and practice these principles in all our affairs.

I'm doublea71 and I'm a headphone-aholic.
wink_face.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #1,776 of 37,656
Are you seriously lugging around a tube amp? Maybe they're not as fragile as I thought - I can't fathom taking that thing off a desktop.

Well, not every day but yeah it gets carted around. I screw on the side panels which not only protect the tubes they are also designed to cut out WiFi signals thus reduce interference. Remember as well, these tubes are NOS military tubes used in radios in many war zones over the years so they are a lot tougher than you would think! In fact to this day they use tubes in places like Nuclear facilities as if there is an explosion the tubes survive much better!

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,777 of 37,656
That's pretty cool - I look at them and I immediately think "lightbulb", but clearly they're pretty rugged. I know very little about tube amps as you can tell.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,778 of 37,656
That's pretty cool - I look at them and I immediately think "lightbulb", but clearly they're pretty rugged. I know very little about tube amps as you can tell.

Oh trust me, I am just learning now. When it came to the first time to take them out and replace with different sounding ones I was so nervous but they are so tough. Admittedly they are still glass but with that in mind they are a lot tougher and much tougher than a lightbulb which is a much thinner wall i believe.

I must admit as well, it certainly garners comments in the coffee shop, but then again, I have always been eccentric!

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,779 of 37,656
Quote:
Well, not every day but yeah it gets carted around. I screw on the side panels which not only protect the tubes they are also designed to cut out WiFi signals thus reduce interference. Remember as well, these tubes are NOS military tubes used in radios in many war zones over the years so they are a lot tougher than you would think! In fact to this day they use tubes in places like Nuclear facilities as if there is an explosion the tubes survive much better!

How do you get one of these - very tempting!

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,780 of 37,656
How do you get one of these - very tempting!

This is his website though it is all Japanese
http://www.ab.auone-net.jp/~s-and-e/

Or easier, if your on Facebook you can contact him that way, he really is great to deal with.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Analog-Squared-Paper/262588443852940

hope that helps!

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #1,783 of 37,656
Quote:
A bit of a derail here, but out of genuine concern, I offer you the 12-step program for headphone addicts:

1. Admitted we were powerless over headphones and other kick-ass audio products.
2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our gear over to the care of Jude as we understood him.
5. Admitted to Jude, to ourselves, and another head-fier the exact nature of our audio gear.
6. Were entirely ready to have Jude relieve us of our audio gear so that he can sell it on the for sale thread.
8. Made a list of all head-fiers we had made snarky comments towards, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends when possible, except when doing so would cause their egos to inflate or inspire them to buy even more gear.
10. Continued to take inventory of our audio products, and when we broke down and bought something, promptly sold it on the for sale thread to somebody from Latvia with absolutely no feedback.
11. Through well-written reviews and cleverly designed, Jude-inspired avatars, sought to improve our conscious contact with Jude, asking only for knowledge of the next great pair of headphones or dap before anybody else learned about it so that we could start a thread and seem really smart to other head-fiers.
12. Having finally smelt the proverbial coffee as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicted head-fiers, and practice these principles in all our affairs.

wink_face.gif

Hi doublea71.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #1,784 of 37,656
Quote:

wink_face.gif

Keep coming back it sounds good ~ 
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,785 of 37,656
Quote:

wink_face.gif

You're wrong, the guy was from Estonia and had 1 feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back