Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jul 22, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #17,131 of 37,685
Ak240ss with Hugo or kobo 404 better?

Depends on the headphones. The 800 requires the Hugo acting as dac. However if I add the 404 to the Hugo, treble becomes too bright with extensions in the top end sounding hard.

Straight from 240SS to 404 the sound is sweeter but bass slam lacks punch. Midrange is beautiful though.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #17,132 of 37,685

Compact connectors makes for a slightly more portable setup 
wink_face.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #17,137 of 37,685
Today's rig.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #17,142 of 37,685

Definitely a big jump from SE846. SQ wise can't complain, and it sounds best out of HUGO. It definitely scales better, I can't hear the same level of jump when using other sources like AK120 II/iPhone. I would like to still audition the Angie universals, people are saying it's a souped-up IE800. 

Fit could have been better. Even though the housing is small, the angle of exit of the wire makes it not sit completely inside concha (like shure's, westone's). Fit is also shallower (not a problem for me), due to shorter nozzle stem. If you're spending $1.6K on these definitely go customs. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #17,143 of 37,685

Going back to an old school portable setup just for kicks. I know a lot of people hate on cassette tapes because they don't match up to the sound quality of digital or vinyl but there's something about tapes that sound special. While they aren't as detailed or clean sounding, they sound more live and exciting due to their faults if that makes any sense. Anyways cassette listening has been a nice break from my digital setup, seeing the tape moving in there has always fascinated me as well. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #17,144 of 37,685
  Definitely a big jump from SE846. SQ wise can't complain, and it sounds best out of HUGO. It definitely scales better, I can't hear the same level of jump when using other sources like AK120 II/iPhone. I would like to still audition the Angie universals, people are saying it's a souped-up IE800. 

Fit could have been better. Even though the housing is small, the angle of exit of the wire makes it not sit completely inside concha (like shure's, westone's). Fit is also shallower (not a problem for me), due to shorter nozzle stem. If you're spending $1.6K on these definitely go customs. 

I agree! You have to go custom for that kind of coin. I have an order in place and the only drawback is the wait.
I'm sure your rig sounds good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back