Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 23, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #15,016 of 37,711

eek.gif
 what is that in the middle.. the red thing

Stacking up the bricks randomly at night.... while enjoying the tenore with my desktop setup...

A long RCA to 3.5mm cable.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #15,019 of 37,711
Just completed my portable audio. Maybe. might jump on some dif. IEMs. The yamaha eph-100 are ok, I was expecting much better for the price.

How's the synergy with the Fiio stack? I haven't heard the EPH-100s myself but I keep reading them to be a terrific value.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #15,020 of 37,711

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #15,021 of 37,711

Just completed my portable audio. Maybe. might jump on some dif. IEMs. The yamaha eph-100 are ok, I was expecting much better for the price.

How's the synergy with the Fiio stack? I haven't heard the EPH-100s myself but I keep reading them to be a terrific value.

Looked up synergy, I have no idea what it is. I've got crackling in the right ear piece. Sound maybe I am use to my headphones "HA-RX900" compared to the yamaha's but the e11k puts the yamaha to their knees. I was trying to determine which port to use, lineout or headphone in. I was using headphone out, changed to line out as I read something about double amp stacking is not good, depending on the amp/amp chip on the DAP going to the dedicated amp. :/

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #15,022 of 37,711

So, which sound better for you with the LCD-X  &  ABTSS : the Flow or the HUGO ? 

Over in the dedicated Source Component Category there is a thread called "Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream)", they pretty much trash the Hugo...

Chord Hugo 
Jack of all trades and extremely mediocre doing nothing terribly wrong. Overall refinement is lacking with treble coarseness on par with DACs less than 40% of its price. Otherwise decent tone, decent macrodynamics, decent microdynamics, decent resolution. Somewhat flat and lacking in dynamics. Like 1000 USD decent, although one of the ninjas says I was giving it too much credit and that it's more like $500 decent. Headstage lacks depth.

Portability and lack of wires is the advantage here. I still can't get over the Fisher Price Toy looks and rolly blue ball thing.

Depending upon who you talk to, DSD handling of the Hugo is either better than PCM or worse than PCM. I'm inclined to think its the latter. Sound is highly variable depending upon USB / computer. I wonder if a Schiit Wyrd would help, but then that would add more wires including a power brick.

i don't have to Hugo, but I read somewhere that many people even prefer the sound of the LH Geek Out to the Hugo... Cant really say something to this, need to hear in order to judge

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #15,026 of 37,711
Merry X'mas folks. Normal working day for me in Tokyo but I can do a little compare & contrast in the peaceful office today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back