Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jul 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #5,598 of 7,509
iPod 5.5g + MTPG. First rig, that was built with sound quality in mind. 
Lovin the yummy, deep bass on the golds, though hoping on some customs one day.

Yet one thing bothers me - will the SQ and soundstage improve much, if I throw an amp into the lot? So many people seem to imply around here, that the iPod should be used amped and through the LOD, or better yet - modded. Can anyone recommend an amp for this particular setup? Sparkling up the highs would be sweet. I'm looking at the fiio e17, iBasso D-zero and I may attempt to save up for a Pico Slim / Headstage Arrow, if it will be worth the shot.

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #5,599 of 7,509
Quote:
iPod 5.5g + MTPG. First rig, that was built with sound quality in mind. 
Lovin the yummy, deep bass on the golds, though hoping on some customs one day.

Yet one thing bothers me - will the SQ and soundstage improve much, if I throw an amp into the lot? So many people seem to imply around here, that the iPod should be used amped and through the LOD, or better yet - modded. Can anyone recommend an amp for this particular setup? Sparkling up the highs would be sweet. I'm looking at the fiio e17, iBasso D-zero and I may attempt to save up for a Pico Slim / Headstage Arrow, if it will be worth the shot.

Decent setup, good choice of the 5g iPod. With regards to the amp, I personally don't think it is necessary, however it would improve the sound of the MTPG slightly. My suggestion is If you plan on getting high end customs/universals whilst keeping that iPod as source, go for the pico. However if you plan on getting mid-range customs/universals, or if you plan on getting a different DAP in the future, such as a ibasso DX100 or a HiFiMan HM601/801, then the e17 would suffice in the mean time. 

This is just my opinion, get some advice from some more experienced head-fier's before you pull the trigger :)

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #5,600 of 7,509
iPod Classic 160GB>FiiO L9>Headstage Arrow 4G 12HE>Blox M2C

http://www.head-fi.org/image/id/2954366/width/150/flags/LL

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #5,601 of 7,509
Quote:

Take a look at the JDS Labs c421, specifically wtih the AD8620 opamps. Cheaper than an Arrow, but supposedly gets fairly close in terms of SQ (from what I've heard, I haven't had a chance to audition an Arrow). It's definitely better than the amp in the E17, though it lacks the built in DAC. For portable use with an iPod, a DAC isn't necessary.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #5,602 of 7,509

Wanted to post a picture of this sexiness right here. I've been loving that Chris_Himself Silver Ray LOD to no end. The carbon fiber sticker is the same as the one cogs posted a link to. I use a Pico Slim as the amp and my Aurisonics AS-2 Prototypes. Should be getting a diyMod soon.

EDIT:
Yes, I put foam under all my speakers for my 5.1 surround sound system. And yes that is a superdrive......I get perfect rips through XLD on it most of the time. Pretty happy about it actually. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #5,603 of 7,509
every time I see this rig it looks better and better. good quality photos!
man I want these bad haha
Quote:
 iPod Classic 120GB > Fiio L9 LOD > Fiio E17 Alpen > Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #5,607 of 7,509

Quote:
2 Legit...

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #5,609 of 7,509
My transportable rig:  JH13 PRO + iPod Classic 7G + Cypher Labs AlogoRhythm Solo + Alo RX MK3-B with full Toxic Cables cabling!

Rodrigo 

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #5,610 of 7,509
Quote:
My transportable rig:  JH13 PRO + iPod Classic 7G + Cypher Labs AlogoRhythm Solo + Alo RX MK3-B with full Toxic Cables cabling!

Rodrigo 

I bet that sounds amazing! Looks stunning. You sir, are a lucky fellow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back