Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
May 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #4,966 of 7,509
Quote:
How do you like the PCM M10? I'd like to have a decent little field recorder like that...

I've been using the PCM-M10 daily for 18 months now, as a player, not as a recorder, and I'm still very happy with it. It's amazingly durable, by the way.

I've made a few recordings with it - the ubiquitous thunder storms and surf at the beach, for example, but I've never used it to record live music.  It's 96/24-capable sigma-delta DAC is not discrete - its integrated into the jack-of-all-trades circuit board.  Some people argue (without listening to it) that it can't possibly be any good, given that a DAC and headphone amp are surely just afterthoughts for a recorder, but it sounds great to my ears, using the Line Out to bypass it's internal amp - and I've done some serious comparisons. 

I've heard better sources than the PCM-M10, or course, so I know it's not ideal, but in my experience, it's the best portable DAP I've heard.  dj Nellie implied that it can compete with the HM-801, despite the impression that it's a bit grainy and bright.  For the money, it's a complete no-brainer. A sleeper.  A best-kept secret.

Be warned, however, its menus are designed for making recordings, not for playback - they offer no ability to sort by album, by artist, by song, etc.  You can only navigate folders of your own design/naming convention and the folders can only gone on-layer deep.  It accepts Micro SD cards up to 32GB, and that too becomes a hassle, as you find yourself swapping cards to get the music you're in the mood to hear.  

For the worst I can say about the PCM-M10s sound quality, read this post and the one that immediately follows it (where I compare it to the amazing Centrance DACport LX).  Let me add that my friend offered to sell me his DACport LX a few weeks later - I turned him down, because I want a much more portable source than a laptop + USB DAC.

smile.gif

Mike

May 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #4,968 of 7,509
Quote:

This is pretty sweet. Not sure about the portability though. Transportable =)

Thank you!

Yeah...  It's cumbersome - especially with the XP8000 external battery pack, but I can't stand the thought of being tethered to a desktop rig, and frankly, I don't have the money to build more than one rig that has to serve all purposes. 

I like my music in my backyard hammock, in the park, anywhere I go, so transportable is the best I can do.  
redface.gif

I only yesterday received the Silver Poison cables (shipped from London to Dallas, Texas) and I've only had the iBasso PB2 for a couple of weeks.  Going from single-ended (Stepdance with the stock Audez'e cables) to balanced (PB2 with the Silver Poison) has been spectacular!  I was up 'til 3:30 AM this morning listening to all my favorite tracks.  

tongue_smile.gif

Mike

May 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #4,969 of 7,509
Thank you!

Yeah...  It's cumbersome - especially with the XP8000 external battery pack, but I can't stand the thought of being tethered to a desktop rig, and frankly, I don't have the money to build more than one rig that has to serve all purposes. 

I like my music in my backyard hammock, in the park, anywhere I go, so transportable is the best I can do.  :xf_eek:   

I only yesterday received the Silver Poison cables (shipped from London to Dallas, Texas) and I've only had the iBasso PB2 for a couple of weeks.  Going from single-ended (Stepdance with the stock Audez'e cables) to balanced (PB2 with the Silver Poison) has been spectacular!  I was up 'til 3:30 AM this morning listening to all my favorite tracks.  

:tongue_smile:

Mike

Shame you didn't make it to the Texas meet. Would've liked more people even though we did have a lot.

May 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #4,971 of 7,509
Mike

It's good to see your around my friend. I see you're still with the same LCD-2s :) Last week I came so close to buying a PB2 + DB2 combo but I wasn't sure if the balanced stuff is really worth for custom iems as I don't intend to use them with my Hifimans 

May 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #4,973 of 7,509
May 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #4,975 of 7,509
Quote:
Hah, read it somewhere in the dx100 thread (maybe it was you? 
etysmile.gif
). Yup made sense to reduce wear

I don't understand. What's wrong with the 1/8 jack?

May 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #4,976 of 7,509
Quote:

I don't understand. What's wrong with the 1/8 jack?

Some feel the 1/4" provide better SQ since there's a larger surface area of contact. I have to admit I can't hear much of a difference but maybe is my particular DX100 where at times I have to rotate the 14/" adapter to get both channels clearly. So I've been sticking to 1/8".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back