Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jan 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #3,452 of 7,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremer930 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great rig.  I came so close to buying a set of the ESW9's.  How is the bass on them?  When I had a test listen between them and the DT1350 I liked the bass on the ESW's much better but liked the top end of the DT's.  I still wonder how they would compare post burn in. Plus, the wood finish looks great.

Did you do the solid state conversion?

Thanks! I'm very happy with it at the moment :) I really enjoy the ESW9s. Their bass isn't what i expected from reviews, but it has a certain laid-back quality that I find suits the music I listen to (electronica, lounge, jazz), and occasionally, a lively punch that surprises me and makes me smile! :) (forgive my non-expert description - I'm a total noob!)

I just swopped in a regular drive, not a SSD, it was the first time I've ever opened up a gadget, thought I'd keep it simple.

Btw Calipilot227, good luck with your iPod, hope it works out! :)

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #3,453 of 7,509

I've been looking at all the rigs around here and am blown away by some of them, here's my humble yet effective setup. Sorry for the picture quality! 

iPhone 4 (320k) => FiiO L9 => FiiO E7 => Sony ZX700

Sounds great with some George Benson, but I am desperately in need of some new IEMs, walking to my lessons with this attracts a few funny looks. It seems, if it's not beats, bose or skullcandy, it's unacceptable to wear it outside! 

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #3,455 of 7,509

I may be wrong but the pictures are making it look bigger than it actually is. I think its a bit smaller even than your CLAS rig if you don't count the denons lol. I generally won't take the amp out though as I don't really need that extra power on the go. The DX100 is about the same size as an iphone4 in an Otterbox case. So its quite portable IMO.
Quote:
Gee.....  And I thought that I get heaps of funny looks with my CLAS/Rx2 rig.....  :)

Is that a portable rig or just transportable?  It looks quite big in the Triad kind of way.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #3,456 of 7,509

Quote:

I've been looking at all the rigs around here and am blown away by some of them, here's my humble yet effective setup. Sorry for the picture quality! 

iPhone 4 (320k) => FiiO L9 => FiiO E7 => Sony ZX700

Sounds great with some George Benson, but I am desperately in need of some new IEMs, walking to my lessons with this attracts a few funny looks. It seems, if it's not beats, bose or skullcandy, it's unacceptable to wear it outside! 

It's the other guys checking to see if they are as cool as you are.  How are the Sonys?  I'm real curious about them.

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #3,457 of 7,509

Quote:
It's the other guys checking to see if they are as cool as you are.  How are the Sonys?  I'm real curious about them.

I would love to believe that! To me, they're brilliant, but I can understand why many wouldn't like them. They do lack bass 'presence' as some like to call it. Personally I'm not a fan of trying to describe sound with words, it never seems to work. When I bought them I was looking for something that would play my jazz as well as my HD598s do at home, these are as close as I can find. Personally I find them very comfortable too but some people have had issues with them heating up and clamping too hard. I stretched mine out a bit and it's cold here at the moment so I don't notice either. If you can get them for the price I did £60 (about $85?) then they're a steal but they're also well worth the RRP. For what they do, I don't think there's a rival out there. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3,460 of 7,509
Here is my portable rig.
Rockboxed ipod video 5th diymod with 256gb ssd > blackgate lod > ibasso d2+ boa > beyerdynamic DT1350
Have about 130gb from itunes (my whole library) and about 100gb of FLAC.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3,461 of 7,509
Going to buy the dt1350 very soon...

IEM I have the gr07 and triple-fi, then another pair of ESW9 clip-on for portable... I find myself constantly looking for excuses to buy new headphones. Started with TF10 -> I need something more flat to give me a different experience -> gr07 -> I sometimes don't enjoy IEMs that much -> EYE CANDY!!! -> EW9 -> they don't isolate much, so while perfect at work/library, I need something for transit (and I would sometimes prefer headphones over IEM) -> dt1350

And this is without my home rig...

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #3,462 of 7,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrAdrian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EYE CANDY!!! -> ESW9 -> they don't isolate much, so while perfect at work/library, I need something for transit (and I would sometimes prefer headphones over IEM) -> dt1350

I went this same route, tho decided on the HD25-1 ii instead of the 1350 - mostly due to budgetary constraints. I still carry my EW9 clip ons with me, and they are great when I am wearing a fedora and don't want to take it off to listen to music while commuting. Even though the isolation leaves something to be desired. 

I still hate IEMs. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #3,463 of 7,509
Oh I have this "try every brand" mission and I already acquired a pair of HD580... I think I only have the akg left, then repurchase a high end ultrasone... Maybe eventually sell my ms1 for a Ms pro... Yeah that, with the Fischer fa011... Would be my plan for now.

Did someone mention welcome to headfi? Yeah welcome, and what wallet are you talking about? *searches around*

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #3,464 of 7,509

Quote:
Oh I have this "try every brand" mission and I already acquired a pair of HD580... I think I only have the akg left, then repurchase a high end ultrasone... Maybe eventually sell my ms1 for a Ms pro... Yeah that, with the Fischer fa011... Would be my plan for now.
Did someone mention welcome to headfi? Yeah welcome, and what wallet are you talking about? *searches around*

WOO! +1 for the HD580. You can't go wrong with the poor man's HD600 
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #3,465 of 7,509
Yes, HD580 are awesome. Not trying to say it just b'cause I bought it, but I do think they look sexier than the HD600's blue marble-ish finish. HD600 grills, check; HD650 cables, check - and I bought new earpads, cushions for them to look brand new 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, my Denons and MS1000 just had to be on the picture, and my shaver unintentionally...

Anyways, back to the topic. My zune ran out of battery today so this was what helped me through my 7 hours of work at the petrol station. At night, no one really complains about customer service... right? And in case people want to know, the phone is a Motorola RAZR, average SQ, you won't use it for critical listening sessions. At a service station, it is the perfect gadget. Only if my Boss didn't mind me playing bombman in front of customers on Australia day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back