Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Dec 27, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #3,032 of 7,509
Well hold up now. Of course I'd recommend doing a bit more research than just my word. :D

I'm honestly pretty interested in one soon too as I'll be getting a iPhone 4S (64gb loaded with ALAC and AIFF. Mmmmm...)

Either way, if you do order, post impressions. I'm very interested to hear them.

Quote:
Quote:
You will of course get better results from a Lossless Format. Don't worry about it too much. Just put what you want on there. The Fostex will improve your sound no matter what. It will be (of course) more noticeable with Lossless.[\quote]

Now, I'm convinced! Thank you for sharing your knowledge... Next stop, gotta order it online...

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #3,035 of 7,509
It's uncompressed PCM. That's just a gigantic waste of space - not only on portable players, but in general. Well, at least AIFF supports ID3 tags somewhat natively, so it's slightly better than WAV and its RIFF chunks in that aspect. Either way, just convert that stuff to ALAC or FLAC, or whatever your player supports - reduces the size by half, and gets better tagging support.

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #3,036 of 7,509
Okay I can see that. Been using as of late because I have the space. I should batch convert it I suppose. Just being lazy. 

Haven't had a great way to rip ALAC or FLAC lately.

Quote:
It's uncompressed PCM. That's just a gigantic waste of space - not only on portable players, but in general. Well, at least AIFF supports ID3 tags somewhat natively, so it's slightly better than WAV and its RIFF chunks in that aspect. Either way, just convert that stuff to ALAC or FLAC, or whatever your player supports - reduces the size by half, and gets better tagging support.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #3,039 of 7,509

Just a couple of pics of my iPod nano 5th gen. Also a few minutes of messing around in Gimp, a program I know nothing about... haha
Easy rig though compared to some people here... Although I am looking to dump the iPod for a Clip Something in the future because of iTunes if nothing else...

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #3,040 of 7,509
icemanmd78, lossless is of course best in theory. It also uses a lot of space. I personally encode Lame V0 MP3s (the highest possible variable bit rate MP3s using the Lame encoder) for my Classic feeding my CLAS. So for me its lossless from my computer at home, Lame V0 portably. In practice, my ears cannot hear any obvious difference on my portable rig. (Frankly I often have a hard time hearing a difference ABXing FLAC and Lame V0 on my home rig either.)

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #3,041 of 7,509

My portable rig. iPhone 3gs > FiiO L9 LOD > FiiO E6 > Triple.Fi's

I'am looking to upgrade...I got the TripleFi's for the Thanksgiving Amazon sale, but I wasn't impressed. The recessed mids were limiting my enjoyment listening to heavy metal music. I tried different tips...The reversed comply tips were the best, but even that wasn't good enough. I will probably be getting the HD 25's.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #3,042 of 7,509

Quote:

My portable rig. iPhone 3gs > FiiO L9 LOD > FiiO E6 > Triple.Fi's

I'am looking to upgrade...I got the TripleFi's for the Thanksgiving Amazon sale, but I wasn't impressed. The recessed mids were limiting my enjoyment listening to heavy metal music. I tried different tips...The reversed comply tips were the best, but even that wasn't good enough. I will probably be getting the HD 25's.

Nice rig. How about Vsonic GR07? Great price / performance IMO.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #3,043 of 7,509

Quote:
  1. MorbidToaster
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1305918899.png

Well hold up now. Of course I'd recommend doing a bit more research than just my word. :D

I'm honestly pretty interested in one soon too as I'll be getting a iPhone 4S (64gb loaded with ALAC and AIFF. Mmmmm...)

Either way, if you do order, post impressions. I'm very interested to hear them.
Quote:
Quote:
You will of course get better results from a Lossless Format. Don't worry about it too much. Just put what you want on there. The Fostex will improve your sound no matter what. It will be (of course) more noticeable with Lossless.[\quote]

Now, I'm convinced! Thank you for sharing your knowledge... Next stop, gotta order it online...

Hi, iceman78... just want to say that morbid toaster is right...

You should do a bit of more research, and most importantly - in my opinion - do an A/B comparison between the HP P1 to the Cypher Labs Algorrhytm Solo... another divice that does exactly the same, minus the amp.

I did an A/B testing between the two a couple of weeks ago - and boy oh boy, did I have a really hard time deciding which one I really wanted. Although the the HP-P1 and the CLAS are very different in terms of character (not sure if this is the correct term), the two are very, very enjoyable.

I suppose it comes down to what sort of music you listen to: HP-P1 is smooth (again, not sure if i'm using the right term here... haha) and has a briliant 'layering' - you get a quite vivid idea as to where the music instruments are located. Hence, very ideal for jazz and classical, as I was also informed... or any music involving sophisticated setups of multiple musical instruments, in my opinion.

The CLAS on the other hand, has more - using my own words - kick and thump. However, almost everything seems to be slightly forward (not in a bad way at all) compared to the HP-P1. Ideally, this dac is great for rock, dance, tecno, etc. As I enjoy dance as well as jazz, I was torn between choosing this dac and the HP-P1, although to be honest, my jazz collection did not sound bad at all, using the CLAS.

After hours and hours of going back and forth between the two dacs (connected with a d-zero, for the CLAS), I decided that (and this 110% comes down to personal preferences) the HP-P! was far more enjoyable as it gave my jazz collection a much more 'soul' to them. And, I actually kinda enjoy my dance collection almost just as much as when I was listening to my jazz collection through the CLAS.

So, again, it is very important, and i strongly suggest that you do your research and audition the two dacs.
Sorry for my rather lengthy explanation... I am just not good at writing short sentences that can effectively describe what i mean to say... hahaha...
But otherwise, I hope you kinda get what i'm trying to say...

Cheers :)

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #3,044 of 7,509
I still can't decide which way I want to go portably down the line. I really like the 'all in one' nature of the Fostex, but the tweaker in me wants another CLAS (and an Rx Mk3).

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #3,045 of 7,509
@ Sir cooperpwc, Sir, MorbidToaster & Sir lukasaswin: Thank you for your valuable insights & much-needed advises... I will research more about the Fostex hp-p1 & compare it with the CLAS... I just joined a group here in Manila, headphiles.org, who hold audio meets... Hopefully, I'll get to audition both dac/amp & finally decide what to get... Looking forward to posting my own portable rig here soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back