Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Dec 27, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #3,019 of 7,509

The Mintpad sounds good, but the interface is a bit clunky, it gets pretty sluggish with a  lot of files loaded and the english version never really got much support.  I still use mine as a backup player and for drawing, but I prefer other players for the most part.

Morbid Toaster, you can't have my keyboard because the laptop would look funny without it.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #3,020 of 7,509

Quote:
could you guys believe this rig ended my TF10 honey moon?

Rockboxed Clip+ > Zo2 > Etymonic MC5

the ety's were suppose to be my gym rig but took over as the main one, for now. the voices in the MC5 are just too realistic compared to the TF10.

So is that the revised ZO2 which supposedly ended the hissing and allowed amping of headphones? Any idea if the ER 4P is worth its crazy price tag?

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #3,024 of 7,509
My sister's old ipod nano and my d-zero - ain't these the cutest tiny things :)

My newly purchased 2nd-hand Fostex HP-P1... LOVING IT :)

Before purchasing a Fostex hp-p1 too, I plan to do my homework & ask owners why they bought the gadget... Since I'm a newbie, I want to get some personal insights... Is getting a unit ideal for people who rely on iDevices as their music source? What will be the obvious advantage? Pardon the ignorance...

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #3,025 of 7,509
The HP-P1 is a pretty unique device. 

Basically it makes your iPod nothing more than storage. It uses a far superior DAC of its own to take the digital files from your iDevice and converts them itself (rather than using an LOD, which means the iPod converts it) to an analog signal. Then it uses its built in headphone amplifier to send it out to you. 

It has other features, but that's the reason it gives you a huge sound advantage over the iPod alone. 

It seems to really be taking off as an 'all in wonder' unit because of the built in amp. The CLAS (Cyber Labs Algo Solo) was the first device in this category, but it had to use another external amp. 

EDIT: First portable one, anyway.

Quote:
Quote:
My newly purchased 2nd-hand Fostex HP-P1... LOVING IT :)

Before purchasing a Fostex hp-p1 too, I plan to do my homework & ask owners why they bought the gadget... Since I'm a newbie, I want to get some personal insights... Is getting a unit ideal for people who rely on iDevices as their music source? What will be the obvious advantage? Pardon the ignorance...

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #3,026 of 7,509

Quote:

Basically it makes your iPod nothing more than storage. It uses a far superior DAC of its own to take the digital files from your iDevice and converts them itself (rather than using an LOD, which means the iPod converts it) to an analog signal. Then it uses its built in headphone amplifier to send it out to you. 

It has other features, but that's the reason it gives you a huge sound advantage over the iPod alone. 

It seems to really be taking off as an 'all in wonder' unit because of the built in amp. The CLAS (Cyber Labs Algo Solo) was the first device in this category, but it had to use another external amp

EDIT: First portable one, anyway.

All correct. Regarding the (expanded) boldface, that's an advantage or a disadvantage depending on (i) your kit and (ii) how you look at it.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #3,027 of 7,509
I personally like the versatility of the CLAS, but after owning one the giant brick can be pretty cumbersome...

The all in wonder nature of the HP-P1 does seem enticing. I'd love to try one myself.

Then again...that RX MK3 is looking to be my portable amp of choice. Bass knob...Mmmmm...

Quote:
All correct. Regarding the (expanded) boldface, that's an advantage or a disadvantage depending on (i) your kit and (ii) how you look at it.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #3,028 of 7,509

Basically it makes your iPod nothing more than storage.

Since my iPad 2 or classic iPod will be more of a storage device if I use the Fostex, will the type of format matter? Majority of my tracks are in mp3, with a few hundreds ripped with apple lossless encoder.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #3,029 of 7,509
Quote:
No LOD actually, just a 3.5 to 3.5 interconect I made with neutrik plugs and copper wires inside a red sleeve. 

@shotgunshane; yeah its useful and dirty cheap if you make it your own.

Im not sure if its the picture, or the actual sleeving, but that sleeving looks very intertwined.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #3,030 of 7,509
You will of course get better results from a Lossless Format. Don't worry about it too much. Just put what you want on there. The Fostex will improve your sound no matter what. It will be (of course) more noticeable with Lossless. 

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Basically it makes your iPod nothing more than storage.

Since my iPad 2 or classic iPod will be more of a storage device if I use the Fostex, will the type of format matter? Majority of my tracks are in mp3, with a few hundreds ripped with apple lossless encoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back