Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jun 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #256 of 7,509
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Quote:
What's up with those eartips?

*I don't need the complys to get a good seal, but my earcanals are an annoying diameter that makes the triple flanges crease if I have them in for more than 3 hours so they're there to maintain the shape of the biggest flange.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #258 of 7,509
Adorable girl Curra.  She ooks older than the previous picture.  Ok more pictures.  You asked for it.  

My diymod LO -> 220uF Silmic 2 capped LOD -> 1964-T

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #261 of 7,509
Yes, this is a show-off post. Although fur all of ya wit iMods n' thouzand-dollah custom IEMs ah ain't got nuttin' on ya.
PCM-D50 + MDR-EX600. All Sony, all awesome.

Comment? MARINES: They'll **** you up.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #264 of 7,509

Quote:
Two things.

One: Why?
Two: Nelly Furtado?

Answers.

One. Well, for one, I think that I'm probably known around here for my random segments of apparently douche-y incoherent ramblings. So that. For two, Natty Narwhal (Ubuntu 11.04) is putting up a tantrum ineg VBox, chewing up 80% of my CPU and taking fifteen minutes to prepare one .deb pack. In a random moment of not-feeling-so-correct and having a Head-Fi tab open, I did this. I should probably keep a CNN tab open at all times to counter this kind of behavior. Sorry about that.
Also I know that the pic is grainy. 2004 bridge camera. ISO 200 plus the apparent forum image compression. Yeah under these conditions S100 is probably not fast enough so you see a little bit of blur, but you can still make out the words "Nelly Furtado". Which leads us to...

Two. Nelly Furtado. Yes. Best young (well, young, my definition of "old" starts with J.Lo so uh, pretty low standards anyway. What is she now, forty-two? Hey, ain't got nuttin' on Madonna) female voice ever. Best point being no Autotune. France Gall is old (is she dead now? God bless), still good though. 1987 pop LOL I'd rather listen to this than, say, Taylor Swift or, God forbid, Lady Gaga (or worse, Kesha, who is basically a more glamorous version of Swift). Kate Ryan I bet none of you knows her, being French (read: Belgian) and all. Sarah McLachlan, excellent, a little break from Furtado (yes, getting a bit too much Furtado does happen). Random listenings of Sheryl Crow, not too much. This is what I would call (female pop-ish) country, not Taylor Swift. Judy Collins is a whole other level. Amazing Grace is... You listen to acoustic folk on the EX600, you'll Gorram cry. Source device may vary since seriously, who else uses an audio recorder as a daily portable DAP (well, I do record sound and play with them in Audacity)? Random listenings of Suzanne Vega. First had her on tape, transferred said tape with, heh, the recording capabilities of the D50. Excellent vocals especially the Tom's Diner. I like the naturalness of them plain vocals. Then there's Jacynthe and France D'Amour, local singers but I mean come on, even in Quebec few people know of these two. Which brings us back to Nelly Furtado. I gotta tell ya right now that her style (OK, not fixed) is difficult to appreciate, especially today with (many young) people listening to overly compressed, overly tuned and overly bassy n' loud tracks. The acoustic version of I'm Like a Bird infuses more musical emotions than any other track I've heard (yes, more than the plain-vocal Tom's Diner). Although I have to admit that Furtado sounds a tad nasaly on that...

Well, there's also the Dave Brubeck Quartet, but nobody sings in that.

All this to further enforce the impression that I'd just babble on and on about random randomness. Jolly good!

EDIT: The correct application of Autotune can change or further enforce the conveyed emotion of a piece. I do listen to ET (Katy Perry) from time to time. Well, for one she can't sing but that's another problem. The whole point is that today, there is simply too much abusive overuse of Autotune.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #265 of 7,509

Quote:
one - i thought you had that same recorder/player :wink:
two - yes, from her "woah nelly" album... good album from when she was still a "hipster"

Energy Connoisseur. Thank you very much.
Two lines down...

The above blank is used to represent a pause as if we're dia(tria)logueing.
Oh you're talking about why I'm using a brick of a recorder as a DAP. Oh the answer is simple (but somewhat long).
Let's consider price. In Canada, bought directly from a brick-and-mortar Sony Style, what you see costs $700 tax incl. Approx. That leather case is worth a lot.
So we have that price. What other options would I have as a higher-quality-than-average DAP? iMod and HiFiMan HM-801. Back when I was considering dunking money for such a device, I was in Shanghai China so I has a chance to get a hands-on with the HM-801. Impression? Heck no. The IEMs used was the ATH-CK100. It sounded very soft and all this was before I saw dfkt's RMAA charts. I have to say that it does sound musically warm, yes, but considering the general factors (very poor build quality, highly unusable firmware UI and the generally poor Chinese customer support) it was very much not worth the money, to me.
Then we have the iMod. I have to thank RWA and ALO for figuring this out. I have never heard a proper ALO iMod but I have lived with LODded iPods and strapped-on amps before. It is very much not portable. The amp strap and the LOD, especially the LOD, very much a hassle. A little sideways strain and the plug (jack) is screwed (never happened to me, just a big fear).
So we fall on the Sony PCM-D50. Four separate pieces of PCB. Almost all-metal construction. Sony's excellent customer support. Made in China, yes, but designed and engineered in Japan. Plus, as a semipro recorder, you get the dependability. As I had the money, and as I've already lived the whole amps thing, why the heck not? Plus, I can take random high-quality segments of audio, just like many pic hunters with their multi-thousand dollars worth of DSLR and even more expensive lense kits. Also as an added bonus, this can be used as a self-defense weapon although I have yet to employ this feature to its fullest.

Side note. I did want to buy the Colorfly C4 back then. The deal breaker was seeing that the screws are screwed directly into the wood without any metal nut plate. Also unclear whether they've applied proper sealant on the wood.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #266 of 7,509

Quote:
Here's my gear. Cowon D2 (Rockboxed) & Sennheiser IE8. I've been using D2 since 2006 and it still does pretty well . Used it with a number of earphones, from Sennheiser mostly.

The D2 is my high-capacity music-only player.....sounds excellent, even if it is getting on in years. No Rockbox needed, IMO....although RB is awesome for my Clip+. Now if only I could find that CD and re-rip it!
smile.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #268 of 7,509

Quote:
Cool, I guess I'll have to check out her older stuff then.  
I do, and it is an excellent recorder, but a rubbish player.

OT.. this happens.. sue me..

yeah that album IMO is pretty darn good if you like that kinda music... nothing like her new stuff from what i've heard of it...
she does tracks with Jurassic 5 (excellent hip hop group) and her music has a sort of funky girl with an attitude sound for lack of better desritiption.
it got a lot of play back in the day when I was a hipster.. of course that term was not in use yet... but i digress. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back