Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Oct 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #1,636 of 7,509

Quote:
False, Apple has the "End of Life" sale for the stuff they will no longer produce, and thats a great time to stock up on a few if you really like them.

Lets say a used iPod Classic, mint condition is $100, Apple stops production, people find it harder to source, value increases. If you are running CLAS and need a high capacity portable player there are no alternatives, unless the circulating rumors become reality and Apple dramatically increases the capacity of the iPod Touch on October 4th. 

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,637 of 7,509

Quote:

my newly acquired used portapro - kramer, cable and 75 ohm

Is that just to eat up extra line levels to reduce volume (or help it play nicer with tube amps)? or something else (reduce hiss)? 

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #1,638 of 7,509

Nice rig Kremer930, and not too heavy; iPod Classic 140 grams, CLAS 190 grams and I'm guessing the ALOaudio RX is around 200 grams? I could live with that. I think your iPod Classic will most likely increase in value if the rumors turn out to be true next week.

It would be pretty cool if Apple bought out a 200 gb iPod touch menu equipped iPod that could output 24/96 high res music. The CLAS can deal with high res up to 96.

The weight as it is is pretty good but it is still a hand full but a100 times worth it for the quality of sound that it generates.

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #1,639 of 7,509
Cowon products don't work well with Macs. I had a J3 which I had to return because of that 

The Cowon J3 had great sound quality and I even tried keeping a separate library of flac but in the end the menu system on an iPod classic wins out against the amount of sorting and putting album covers in the right format/place on the Cowon. iTunes is just too easy to use. I am a Mac user. Window users probably don't have the same issues.

Quality of build always feels great on apple too.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #1,640 of 7,509
It would be pretty cool if Apple bought out a 200 gb iPod touch menu equipped iPod that could output 24/96 high res music. The CLAS can deal with high res up to 96.

The weight as it is is pretty good but it is still a hand full but a100 times worth it for the quality of sound that it generates.

+1

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #1,641 of 7,509

Quote:

I think Apples market analysts would approve. That would do them any good to serve "us (audiophiles)". Apple always wants to address the general public which can be easily manipulated and that will follow their friends in buying their stuff.  Who don't really care how good/bad the SQ which it produces it as long as it can play DoodleJump, AngryBird, FruitNinja, etc.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,642 of 7,509
I'd like it if someone would release an HDD transport that just has coax, optical, and USB out, a 200+ GB hard drive, and a nice interface. Basically, a more usable QA350.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #1,643 of 7,509

Quote:
I'd like it if someone would release an HDD transport that just has coax, optical, and USB out, a 200+ GB hard drive, and a nice interface. Basically, a more usable QA350.

In my eyes, the QA350 is very unpractical for general use if you compare it to modern UIs

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #1,644 of 7,509

Netbook and Pro 750 (For Sale, XB700 on its way). 250gb HDD makes it a great little player. Close the top, leave the music going and run the cable out of my bag.  

EDIT: Shoulda had Foobar on the screen instead. :D

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #1,648 of 7,509
It is annoying that Apple controls so many aspects. They actually have to put in effort to stuff around audiophiles in the case of CLAS users. All we need is a nice UI and a hard drive. It doesnt even matter about DAC or processing power. I have heard that if apple let us then a simple App would step the iPod up to 24/96 capability on output to a CLAS.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #1,649 of 7,509

Users who are viewing this thread

Back