Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIV]
Nov 23, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #1,456 of 3,208
I said so, because I used the exact same configuration when I had the hje900

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #1,457 of 3,208
I usually use the balanced biflange tips but they have been taken by the RE262 and my RE-Zero and I only have two pairs so those "bass heavy" tips from the M9 will have to be used for a while.

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #1,458 of 3,208

iPod Classic 160GB
Fiio E3
Etymotic MC5

At first, I was really disappointed with the MC5's, really bad comfort, thin sound... But after a month or so I am really starting to like them more and more.. They are so well designed AND built.. Something I can appreciate being a industrial design student :)

RE0's are on their way now from Head-Direct, I'm curious what the differences are. At least I get to give my ears some rest from the Etymotic "comfort".

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #1,459 of 3,208

Quote:

iPod Classic 160GB
Fiio E3
Etymotic MC5

At first, I was really disappointed with the MC5's, really bad comfort, thin sound... But after a month or so I am really starting to like them more and more.. They are so well designed AND built.. Something I can appreciate being a industrial design student :)

RE0's are on their way now from Head-Direct, I'm curious what the differences are. At least I get to give my ears some rest from the Etymotic "comfort".

Have you tried running the MC5s right out of the Ipod? I hear cheap amps can degrade the sound quality with some phones.

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #1,460 of 3,208

Quote:
Those CK10 remolds are, odd haha. Quite kool though!

X2 indeed, I would like to see a pic of him wearing them, seems to me it would just look like he had cables protruding from his skin covered earholes 
blink.gif

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #1,461 of 3,208
@GeorgeGoodman I actually find the mc5's pretty hard to drive, I have to turn up the volume pretty loud on my classic.. I think an amp (albeit a e3/e5) improves them some.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #1,463 of 3,208
It has nothing to do with the Classic amp and everything to do with the earphone and the person's listening volumes. I turn my iPod touch and even Shuffle to less than half with the Ety and find no problem at all hearing things. A person to my left, however, may use the same earphones and blast their iPod/Cowon/sony at 90% volume to 'hear' it properly. It has everything to do with the person's listening preferences.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #1,464 of 3,208
Shigzeo, the Ipod's amplifier just does not put out as much power as many other DAPs. I have an Iriver H120, and it get much louder with better dynamics on any phone I plug into it compared to the Touch. The S:Flo2 also does the same thing. The QLS QA350 has at least twice the power as the touch but it is much bigger. The Sansa Fuze's amp is comparable to the Touch's, but the Fuze is smaller (albeit without a touch screen, not that that is a plus just for music.) Cowon's are known for their good amps and I am sure their amps are much better than the Touch's. Apple refuses to release specs like mw output, like Cowon does. Not hat specs can tell the whole story, but they are a start. 

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #1,465 of 3,208
Don't forget the EU volume restriction on Ipods

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the Classic amp and everything to do with the earphone and the person's listening volumes. I turn my iPod touch and even Shuffle to less than half with the Ety and find no problem at all hearing things. A person to my left, however, may use the same earphones and blast their iPod/Cowon/sony at 90% volume to 'hear' it properly. It has everything to do with the person's listening preferences.

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #1,466 of 3,208
I just got the Clip+ today, finishing my 'typical budget head-fi portable rig'... Clip+ and Hifiman RE-0. Pics tomorrow :]

edit: and I spoke too soon. My RE-0 stopped working. The right side cuts out whenever I put it into my ear and get a seal.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #1,467 of 3,208
It cuts only after you get a seal?

Quote:
I just got the Clip+ today, finishing my 'typical budget head-fi portable rig'... Clip+ and Hifiman RE-0. Pics tomorrow :]

edit: and I spoke too soon. My RE-0 stopped working. The right side cuts out whenever I put it into my ear and get a seal.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #1,468 of 3,208

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #1,470 of 3,208
that is true, but I've purchased (and emulated) EU volume restriction players and never had problems with output. EU volume restriction and faulty amp are two very different things - very different. But still, you can pump up volume enough from an EU restricted source enough to damage your hearing, the restriction only makes it a little harder to do so.

@ George - those 'specs' that Cowon release are about as truthful as any audio maker's specs, meaning that they hold only to themselves. Mass-market makers constantly obfuscate the truth by hiding one or two very important specs. That is how home systems like Sharp's 25W amps are easily as powerful as many 250W systems. 

Apple isn't refusing to release specs, they just don't rail on about them as if they are god, or the truth. If everything had to be measured by the same stick, I very much doubt if a single mass market player would hold a candle to its stated output or anything. The S:Flo surely does go louder, and one thing I appreciate about Cowon is that in some of their better players (not all, mind you), when driving no load, they can output even to the 50/50 or whatever the top volume step is. With my iPod touch, I trust only up to 90% when driving output.

Dynamics, etc., at top volume (if that is your aim) can be better in a very few mass market players, but I think a lot of times, the term 'dynamics' is misunderstood for 'nice sounding'. One player that comes to mind is Sony. Their EQ is often said to be dynamic, but I've measured the output when EQ'd and I can assure you dynamics are cut right out... right out. 

What I am saying is that all manufacturers lie: that is their job since they want your money. If they feel you'll buy because you want volume, they'll publish that they can ruin your hearing no matter the headphone you plug in.

I assure you that you can do that even with an iPod touch and the Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω. I have it and even from a lowly iPod shuffle, the limits of comfortable listening are surpassed. With the S:Flo and iPod touch, they are wildly surpassed.

I think too many people are listening at too loud of volumes and... well, at those volumes, either the dynamics are suffering, or your ears are. 

Quote:
Don't forget the EU volume restriction on Ipods

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back