Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIV]
Oct 4, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #976 of 3,208
Update on my sr 225:

-4 hold punch mod
-dynamat mod
-buttonless (no sound change)

I've made a short list of improvements to the sound (and its influence):

-much more bass impact and sub-bass presence, hardly any roll-off at all (4 hole)
-added a bit of warmth and midbass, which the grado needs IMO (4 hole)
-highs are more controlled, not shrill and not as sibilant anymore - I hate sibilance (4 hole and dampening)
-tighter bass impact and "blackness" between notes (dampening)
-Increased soundstage, more spacious. This is due to the less aggressive sound (dampening and 4 hole)
-much more neutral, and I can listen to a wide variety of genres now, from hip-hop to classical (4 hole and dampening)
-not tiring anymore, I can listen for hours on end (if comfort allows)

Love it to pieces. 

Still a small bit of glue left, it's not noticable once you are 1 foot away, so it's good enough for me.

GEDC0248.jpg

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #978 of 3,208
Rockboxed my Fuze last night:

004a.png

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #980 of 3,208
Thanks HSN, appreciated.

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #981 of 3,208
Hello fellow head-fiers.
Kinda new to this forum, but i've gotta say, this forum helped me out alot!
After lurking in the backgrounds for awhile,
i've decided on getting a dba-02 as my earphone of choice,
paired with a rockboxed DIYmod 5.5g through pure copper DIYlod.
And i've gotta say, the flac files i'm using really came to life.

Sorry if my set-up is kinda ugly, it's hard to find a decent case for ipod 5.5g here in singapore..

I'm currently using an ordnance .22 amp.
It's kinda sucky but it's better than my e5 ;D

anyway.. i have kinda small ears, and the housing of the DBA-02 is hurting my ear abit, making it tiring to use after awhile.
So do you guys think i should go for customs? I think the dba-02 would really sound great with them.

Or should i get a better amp first? I'm leaning very close to the headstage arrow..

Appreciate the replies guys.

Happy listening!
biggrin.gif

(p.s. i think i have one of the cheapest diymods out here xD got the ipod 30gb for S$100, then asked a friend of mine to help me mod it and do the lod up, costing only about S$50~. The amp costs only $40 2nd hand and the DBA's S$236. So that makes a total of.. S$426! ;D i still have about S$300 extra.

So should i get a custom with an additional driver with 3 way crossover or just stick to two drivers? And should i get the arrow first then the customs?

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #985 of 3,208
Quote:
Hero Kid - it sounds great, cause soft mids of SM3 perfectly match with hard ones of 801, also such rig provides a lot of details without loss of speed.
Please note, thats on my subjective mind.

Of course that's your opinion - exactly what I asked for. Thanks.
The reason I asked is I'm anxious to find out what my incoming HM-602 and SM3 will sound like together.

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #986 of 3,208

Quote:
Of course that's your opinion - exactly what I asked for. Thanks.
The reason I asked is I'm anxious to find out what my incoming HM-602 and SM3 will sound like together.

I think it will be ok, as minimum. 801 and 602 have approximately the same sounding, I believe. Dark sound, accentuated bass, detailed on lower frequencies.

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #987 of 3,208

Quote:
My fav. yet. Was that the v.2 Fuze? If so, I thought Rockbox wouldn't work?

Yes, it's V2, and yes, it does work now. Loving Rockbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back