Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIII]
Mar 19, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #4,697 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jarmel that's definitely THE best sounding rig I have ever seen. I am amazed.

I am amazed that you can see sound
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #4,700 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hifiman 801-ALO mini to mini- RSA Protector-Whiplash Protector Balanced Cable- JH13

How does your rig compare to the hifiman as a stand alone DAP?

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #4,701 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosfandango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dkft - is the Fiio E7 release date confirned yet, do you know?

James from FiiO told me release should be end of April, after they got the chips they've been waiting for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got these in the mail today
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats, they look lovely au naturel aluminum.

Quote:

Hifiman 801-ALO mini to mini- RSA Protector-Whiplash Protector Balanced Cable- JH13

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of shlepping the huge Hifiman brick around, eh?

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #4,702 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by firoze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James, where did you get those black sleeves for the FAD's from? They are exactly what I need! But I haven't been able to find something like them anywhere

firoze, these are just generic small black silicon sleeves stretched over the FAD's metal tips.

james444-albums-album1-picture5054-fad-silicons.jpg

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #4,703 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, as a fan of Miles Davis' music I do feel kind of insulted that Monster put his name on these... things. Sure looks like something Lady Gaga or 50 Cent would 'wear', though.

Hmm, I don't agree. I think they look real classy.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #4,704 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, they look lovely au naturel aluminum.

thanks. it was definitely worth the two week or so wait for them to arrive. in a couple weeks ill probably compare them with my ck10 just to see how it matches up. im hoping they surpass the ck10 as i get more used to their sound.

@Jarmel: isnt the amp on the hifiman dap good enough just to leave it as it is without having the need to add another amp? or at least isnt that the point so you dont have to carry around amps, IC, rubber bands to hold them together, etc..

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #4,705 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by firoze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James, where did you get those black sleeves for the FAD's from? They are exactly what I need! But I haven't been able to find something like them anywhere

Firoze, unless I'm mistaken they look very much like the Sony replacement silicone earbuds - Sony sell them separately under the Part Number EP-EX1. You can pick them up here in the UK for £4.99.

Cheers

Mark

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #4,706 of 5,950
^ You could be right, but I don't really remember where these came from. However, I believe every single IEM I bought came with some similar sleeves. It don't really matter, because (at least in my case) they are not supposed to seal, they just function like a spacer. IMO the FADs sound best without seal, that's why I prefer the metal tips. But without these silicon "spacers" the metal tips would point at a weird angle into my ear canal and feel kinda slippery, that's why I decided to use something that would give me a better and more secure fit without obstructing the air flow.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #4,707 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Jarmel: isnt the amp on the hifiman dap good enough just to leave it as it is without having the need to add another amp? or at least isnt that the point so you dont have to carry around amps, IC, rubber bands to hold them together, etc..

The protector with a balanced cable is on a whole other level than the amp on the hifiman dap; I would think it to be worth it to go balanced.

Quote:

That's about as state-of-the-art as you can get, Jarmel, I for one am quite jealous. And I'm sure it sounds great, congrats
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #4,708 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firoze, unless I'm mistaken they look very much like the Sony replacement silicone earbuds - Sony sell them separately under the Part Number EP-EX1. You can pick them up here in the UK for £4.99.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark, have replied to your PM.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #4,709 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ You could be right, but I don't really remember where these came from. However, I believe every single IEM I bought came with some similar sleeves. It don't really matter, because (at least in my case) they are not supposed to seal, they just function like a spacer. IMO the FADs sound best without seal, that's why I prefer the metal tips. But without these silicon "spacers" the metal tips would point at a weird angle into my ear canal and feel kinda slippery, that's why I decided to use something that would give me a better and more secure fit without obstructing the air flow.

I'm experimenting with tips for the FAD's at the moment. Have tried a few third-party ones. But I think these Sony ones may well give the best sound. I de-cored a set of medium Shure olives and tried them over the FAD's small metal tips; they sounded terrible. Did the same with Ety foams; they were better than the olives but still no good. Now am looking forward to trying these Sony's...

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #4,710 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by kayser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does your rig compare to the hifiman as a stand alone DAP?

@rawster

While the DAP is great, the amp leaves a bit to be desired. The Protector definitely has a better bass and feels more natural all around. I really wanted to see how good I could get a portable rig and found with my current rig that I can get pretty far indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back