Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIII]
Feb 22, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #1,846 of 5,950
Somthing that you don't see very often anymore.....but those old iPods still rock!

DIYModded iPod Photo 30GB (Silver Wires inside) + DIY Special Pure Silver iMod/Elna SILMIC Caps LOD:

DyBreIMG01.jpg

iPodLODRear.jpg

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #1,851 of 5,950
Here's my finished portable setup

Zune30 with 100 Gb hard Drive installed
Practical Devices XM5 Portable Amp
Future sonics Atrio M5 V2

Only current planned upgrade is a pair of AD8065 opamps in the XM5 which should arrive next week. I ordered it with the Stock opamps and the BUF634 buffers. This setup sounds very warm and natural but with a lot of detail and enough bass punch to smack you in the back of the head.

I kept my Zune30 instead of getting a newer zune because the zune30 has EQ presets that were removed from the Zune80 and Zune120. The EQ presets add a lot to the sound quality. I've done comparisons and was not willing to give these up so I just upgraded the hard drive in my Zune30 instead.

DSCF0269-1.jpg

DSCF0270-1.jpg

DSCF0267-1.jpg

DSCF0274-1.jpg

DSCF0275-1.jpg

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #1,853 of 5,950
EFN;5448532 said:
Somthing that you don't see very often anymore.....but those old iPods still rock!

Indeed they do.
I have an old 20GB 3rd gen (I think) that gets used as the truck stereo.
The battery refuses to hold much of a charge any more but it's permanently plugged into the cigarette lighter socket by means of a Griffin iTrip which keeps it permanently charged.
The old iPod only ever goes into the house to get reloaded with new tunes from time to time.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #1,855 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

DIYModded iPod Photo 30GB (Silver Wires inside) + DIY Special Pure Silver iMod/Elna SILMIC Caps LOD:

DyBreIMG01.jpg

iPodLODRear.jpg

how does the Elna SILMIC Caps sound compare to blackgates? I still think 4G ipod is the best sounding ipod

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #1,856 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the Elna SILMIC Caps sound compare to blackgates? I still think 4G ipod is the best sounding ipod

From my experiences rolling caps (Mundorf ZN, V-Caps OIMP, Nichicon, Black Gates etc), I think I liked the signature of the Elna SILMIC very much - it's hard to say because they are still burning in but I suspect they will have similar sound to the Mundorf ZN 4.7uF - which I prefer over V-Caps OIMP. The SILMIC seems to have good texture and impact - I only hope that they could improve on soundstage later and then it will be perfect.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #1,857 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experiences rolling caps (Mundorf ZN, V-Caps OIMP, Nichicon, Black Gates etc), I think I liked the signature of the Elna SILMIC very much - it's hard to say because they are still burning in but I suspect they will have similar sound to the Mundorf ZN 4.7uF - which I prefer over V-Caps OIMP. The SILMIC seems to have good texture and impact - I only hope that they could improve on soundstage later and then it will be perfect.
wink.gif

What are the value you using for SILMIC? Since it can be fitted into the dock, It must be fairly small and could replace the BG in the imod.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #1,858 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the value you using for SILMIC? Since it can be fitted into the dock, It must be fairly small and could replace the BG in the imod.

oh sorry. They are Elna SILMIC 4.7uF 50V. The fit is quite tight because they are bigger than the Black Gates.

Next - I am building a WIMA MKP 4.7uf which is quite big for home use.

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #1,859 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my finished portable setup

Zune30 with 100 Gb hard Drive installed
Practical Devices XM5 Portable Amp
Future sonics Atrio M5 V2

Only current planned upgrade is a pair of AD8065 opamps in the XM5 which should arrive next week. I ordered it with the Stock opamps and the BUF634 buffers. This setup sounds very warm and natural but with a lot of detail and enough bass punch to smack you in the back of the head.

I kept my Zune30 instead of getting a newer zune because the zune30 has EQ presets that were removed from the Zune80 and Zune120. The EQ presets add a lot to the sound quality. I've done comparisons and was not willing to give these up so I just upgraded the hard drive in my Zune30 instead.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...DSCF0269-1.jpg

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...DSCF0270-1.jpg

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...DSCF0267-1.jpg

DSCF0274-1.jpg

i love that flat interconnect...isnt it the one from iBasso?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back