Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Nov 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #3,122 of 3,551
Quote:
Upgraded my amplifier, now using a Motiograph MA 7505 that has been converted for 300B use.  

Wohooa! Hate to think what your electricity bill is like..

Seriously though, nice work. Really looks cool, bet it looks the business when the lights are low aswell

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #3,123 of 3,551
Can you make Smores on it? :D

Seriously it looks awesome!

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #3,125 of 3,551
Your way over thinking this.

Am I? Maybe so. Should I be that worried about damaging stuff, is it really not that common to damage something? If not, I need to get back into vinyl a bit more :D
I love it, but I mean I always feel like my stylus is bad for some reason. Like all the time, my needle scratches across the record when moving from the end back to the resting place to flip the record over (even with cueing lever up, and I lift up from the bottom...don't ask me how it happens). Once I blew hard to get a hair out of the way and I blew the needle across the record, didn't use to happen when I did this before but I blew harder so..and yeah that was stupid anyway, I'm learning haha. Should my stylus be OK from that? Vocals sounded a bit flatter with that but I don't know many of my vinyl recordings so they may have been like that before anyway. I was thinking I need to get a dustcover for it to keep me away from messing with it while it's playing, but I don't have a $150 or so for a reproduction/fake one (it's a Dual CS-5000 turntable). And I jsut thought now I tap my foot a lot and sometimes I shake the desk a little and on rare occasions I shake the turntable so maybe put it on a separate shelf right next to the desk. Should I then be OK?

Yes I could build my own microscope if I really wanted to but I don't have the money, time or skill to do so. There was a sticky on a DIY stylus microscope on AudioKarma I saw once, looked pretty complex even for a "simple" one.

CDs and hard drives aren't indestructible either. 

I know, but I think they're more trustable and harder to damage.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #3,126 of 3,551
Sounds like you need to adjust the height of the cuing lever (should be a screw on the side, although I'm not too familiar with Duals), maybe increase the tracking force and adjust antiskate?

Your turntable should be on the sturdiest surface possible, ideally a wall shelf (not too hard to build or install). Takes some patience, but give vinyl a chance :) It's well worth the effort. There's a reason you see us crazy audiophiles with a turntable as our primary source.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #3,127 of 3,551
Sounds like you need to adjust the height of the cuing lever (should be a screw on the side, although I'm not too familiar with Duals), maybe increase the tracking force and adjust antiskate?
Your turntable should be on the sturdiest surface possible, ideally a wall shelf (not too hard to build or install). Takes some patience, but give vinyl a chance :) It's well worth the effort. There's a reason you see us crazy audiophiles with a turntable as our primary source.

I've got both antiskate and tracking force at 1.5 (i assume grams) just like it says on the package for my Ortofon Omega (yes, the $30 one. Not amazing but really is good for the price). I have a different model stylus for it though. Still, it's probably fine (assuming I was informed right that antiskate should be about the same as tracking force) and it only did that because I blew on it. Something that could have been rectified by a carbon fiber brush (still haven't gotten around to getting one) and especially a dust cover.
No, I'm not willing to build a wall shelf since it's just in my bedroom on a headphone setup. But I think it'd be fine if I didn't shake the desk with my leg and rarely from my typing (like hard, fast typing), which isn't stooping, but I mean the shelf next to it oughta be fine. How else can I judge my tip? The only access I have besides having a guy at a record store check it out by sound is a $75 bench fee for a microscope examination.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #3,128 of 3,551
Appreciate the comments guys...I'll give the smores a try tonight 
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #3,133 of 3,551
Speaking of Didgeridoo...Here is Tommy Emmanuel......[

VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3HIZTEbD_k[/VIDEO]

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #3,135 of 3,551
My first post on head-fi :) Be gentle!

Here's my bedroom audiophile workstation setup :)

Components:

Jamo Concert 8 / D830 @ 3.3 ohms Reference bookshelf speakers. Seas Excel drivers with copper phase plug heatsinks
Cambridge Audio Azur 840a Dual mono stereo integrated amplifier
Bogdan Audio Goldy Interconnects with Eichmann bullet terminations, very low capacitance. 
THX collaborated speaker cables
Zalman HD135s Full ATX Computer enclosure with 6 low noise ventilation fans 
AMD Phenom 2 x4 965be | 4 gb ram | Radeon HD5850 | Asus Xonar STX | Razer Abyssus mouse | Reclusa Keyboard | Samsung B2230 TN panel (got it dirt cheap new otherwise would have gotten IPS) Monitor
Soundfoundations.in Custom Stands
APC 600W UPS

View from desk :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back