Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Dec 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #3,151 of 3,551
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinharding
Upgraded my amplifier, now using a Motiograph MA 7505 that has been converted for 300B use.

Looks very cool ,
how many watts RMS do you have for your tube power amp ?

Only puts out about 3 watts, but it is driven by the amplifier above it which puts out about 5 watts.  Although that doesn't increase the wattage it increases the gain of the signal, my speakers are around 100db efficient thought so it's not really a problem.  

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #3,152 of 3,551
At 100db even 3 watts should be plenty depending on room size, shouldn't it?

Quote:

Only puts out about 3 watts, but it is driven by the amplifier above it which puts out about 5 watts.  Although that doesn't increase the wattage it increases the gain of the signal, my speakers are around 100db efficient thought so it's not really a problem.  

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,153 of 3,551
Quote:
At 100db even 3 watts should be plenty depending on room size, shouldn't it?

Yeah I don't have any problem with it at all.  My speakers are huge, 15'' woofers and horns for the midrange/high frequencies, about 8 cubic feet of space inside the cabinets.  So their efficiency coupled with the amount of air they can move and the gain produced by double amping, they will get much louder than you'll ever need haha.  Room is about 12' x 14'.  

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #3,154 of 3,551
Good. I'm hoping to do something similar soon so I wanted to make sure 3 watts would be enough for 99-100db. I knew it should, but you never know 'til you ask.

Quote:

Yeah I don't have any problem with it at all.  My speakers are huge, 15'' woofers and horns for the midrange/high frequencies, about 8 cubic feet of space inside the cabinets.  So their efficiency coupled with the amount of air they can move and the gain produced by double amping, they will get much louder than you'll ever need haha.  Room is about 12' x 14'.  

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #3,155 of 3,551
Good. I'm hoping to do something similar soon so I wanted to make sure 3 watts would be enough for 99-100db. I knew it should, but you never know 'til you ask.

Really should be fine if your speakers are that efficient, it's all about moving air. The more air you can move or is perceived to move by the listener the more realistic music will sound. What speakers/amplifier were you looking into?

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #3,156 of 3,551
Considering Zus, maybe used Devores or Audio Notes. 

Amp wise I'm looking at mainly Decware (Mini Torii @ 3.3w) or Leben (300 @ 12w). My local guy has a Leben 300 and sells Zu and Devore so I'll be going to audition some pretty soon and hearing exactly what my system would be like. 

Though I'm open to any suggestions. The Zu and Devore just happen to be available a few minutes away from me and fit the bill. Audio Notes come highly recommended from trusted ears here on Head-fi.

Quote:
Really should be fine if your speakers are that efficient, it's all about moving air. The more air you can move or is perceived to move by the listener the more realistic music will sound. What speakers/amplifier were you looking into?

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #3,157 of 3,551
Morbid: Looks like you're going a completely different direction regarding speakers (power-hungry Maggies to efficient full-range Zu's). Any particular reason?

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #3,158 of 3,551
I really like the super simple way efficient rigs usually come together. Small amp boxes (generally), etc. Space has a lot to do with it. I'd probably just go 1.7s if I had the room for my old huge amps and enough room for them.

Plus I just want to try something new. Girlfriend loved the way the Maggies look, but she really fancies the Zus, too. Plus, she can get the Zus in purple. :wink:

Quote:
Morbid: Looks like you're going a completely different direction regarding speakers (power-hungry Maggies to efficient full-range Zu's). Any particular reason?

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #3,159 of 3,551
Quote:
I really like the super simple way efficient rigs usually come together. Small amp boxes (generally), etc. Space has a lot to do with it. I'd probably just go 1.7s if I had the room for my old huge amps and enough room for them.

Plus I just want to try something new. Girlfriend loved the way the Maggies look, but she really fancies the Zus, too. Plus, she can get the Zus in purple. :wink:

I just love being a grammar nazi, don't mind me 
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #3,162 of 3,551
Quote:
Considering Zus, maybe used Devores or Audio Notes. 

Amp wise I'm looking at mainly Decware (Mini Torii @ 3.3w) or Leben (300 @ 12w). My local guy has a Leben 300 and sells Zu and Devore so I'll be going to audition some pretty soon and hearing exactly what my system would be like. 

Though I'm open to any suggestions. The Zu and Devore just happen to be available a few minutes away from me and fit the bill. Audio Notes come highly recommended from trusted ears here on Head-fi.

Well you've got a nice selection there to choose from, you're quite fortunate in that respect.  I'd nix the Zus from that group however, not really sure where all the hype is with those.  Gave them a few chances at some shows and demo'd a pair in my own house and just really couldn't get on with them.  They are so very bright and thin, just not my cup of tea.  The Devores are quite nice, though I'd throw in ProAc if you're looking at them....not nearly as efficient unfortunately.  I mean Audio Note is a no brainer from that group especially if you're going low wattage they simply cannot be outclassed by either of the other two you've mentioned.  I would really seek out an audition for those, you'll be blown away if you haven't heard them yet.  Certainly let us know where you are by the end of your first audition, I'm curious as to what you think of those first two.  Might want to 300b them tho 
biggrin.gif

prime-celebration.jpg

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3,163 of 3,551
I'm fond of the way Zus look, and their manufacturing (plus a wealth of great color options). We'll see soon though. Devores are one that came on my radar recently and while I'd like to say I'm looking at a pair of Orangutans from them, sadly I don't have 12k to spend on speakers (pft). It'd be their lower end. 

As for the Audio Notes...Unfortunately I'm not sure where to audition those around here and I haven't even seen a decent used pair for sale (and that's the only way I'd be able to afford them). I can dream I suppose. 

On the 300B subject...it's absolutely what I want to do but finding a 300B amp at a decent price is easier said than done. :D I'd love some suggestions within Leben 300 price range (~3.5k).

EDIT: Since the Audio Notes are (seem to be) universally more liked than the Devore or Zu stuff do you know where to get a current price list? I'd love to own an AN-E LX or LX HE but I need to know current pricing. Even on the rest of their line. Last I saw review wise was about 6.4k for the base model. Not a single dealer in Texas. 

EDIT2: Holy crap the Audio Notes go so low. 18hz. I need to actually find a graph. But, the Leben would still be just fine at 12wpc. Even at the 94db on the LX.

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #3,165 of 3,551
This is...actually...a really good idea...

10wpc @ 8 ohms...a great headamp and 300B goodness...

And 6SN7s...Hoo boy...

Has anyone actually done a review of this as a speaker amp primarily? Does it hold up in the price range? I mean, that's pretty much Leben money.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back