Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Nov 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #3,106 of 3,551
Quote:
MT, the TT is terrific but big thumbs up for the Dynavector!
beerchug.gif

Yes the Dynavector has great synergy with the VPI Tonearms:

And of course Tubes and Vinyl go hand in hand:

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #3,107 of 3,551
I think though, some of our younger members might not be aware that albums back in the day did suffer from many quality issues such as warping and would scratch and wear down over time (especially if you lent them to my friends back then 
confused.gif
). Looking back, nostalgia can really paint a rosey picture, but things weren't perfect with LPs too. At least with CDs, they all sound the same and don't deteriorate with time.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #3,108 of 3,551
I think though, some of our younger members might not be aware that albums back in the day did suffer from many quality issues such as warping and would scratch and wear down over time (especially if you lent them to my friends back then :confused: ). Looking back, nostalgia can really paint a rosey picture, but things weren't perfect with LPs too. At least with CDs, they all sound the same and don't deteriorate with time.

Exactly. I love vinyl, but I can't justify buying any more "new" vinyl though (a bin of 100 records for $20 at a garage sale is another story) because of this. It's so easy to permanently damage your music with one spin, it's just too bad. I'm kinda moving away from vinyl. One play on a messed up tip and you're toast, zap goes the quality of your music. I'd wanna die after I found out I had been using a bad tip for a year and essentially ruined my record collection.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #3,109 of 3,551
Properly cared for records played with good well maintained equipment will show virtually NO wear over time. This has been demonstrated repeatedly.

Now, if you loan them to friends who spill bong water on them and then play them with a cactus needle, all bets are off.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #3,112 of 3,551
I remember when I was about 9 year old, me and my brother used to play our Sex Pistol records on my dads hifi. One day my mum took the time to listen to the lyrics... (it was "Belsen was a Gas") and she went ballistic! Made us scratch all of the records so they were unplayable. Trouble is, we still played them when she was out.. scratches n all. Really damaged my Dads expensive needle!

Moral of the story is. Don't have kids if you want to keep your hifi in tip top condition. I'm finding this out now... 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #3,116 of 3,551
Properly cared for records played with good well maintained equipment will show virtually NO wear over time. This has been demonstrated repeatedly.
Now, if you loan them to friends who spill bong water on them and then play them with a cactus needle, all bets are off.

My problem is the care. You just can never be too sure that your stylus is in good condition, that you're taking care of them. And it's so easy to accidentally bump something etc. I just can't justify the possibility of permanently hurting my music collection like that. That's why I now prefer CDs.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #3,117 of 3,551
Nov 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #3,118 of 3,551
Nov 20, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #3,119 of 3,551
Quote:
My problem is the care. You just can never be too sure that your stylus is in good condition, that you're taking care of them. And it's so easy to accidentally bump something etc. I just can't justify the possibility of permanently hurting my music collection like that. That's why I now prefer CDs.

Your way over thinking this.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #3,120 of 3,551
Quote:

CDs and hard drives aren't indestructible either. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back