Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply)
May 31, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #558 of 1,052
And this is my setup: I've recently changed the source and up to this week I wasn't convinced it was an actual upgrade (or even a side-grade!)
STAX 009, Megahertz Guerra, Lector Audio Digicode S192, so it's a mix of Italian and Japanese craftsmanship. Not the greatest pictures, sorry, but it sounds very good.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #559 of 1,052
Nice McIntosh.

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #562 of 1,052
Hi
Nice looking system there!

I would be interested on your thoughts on the Esoteric DAC v the Metrum. I would think the Esoteric would beat it. I have a Metrum for a second system and have heard it next to David's K-01 and it was quite flat and weak, thin sounding. Yes a nice DAC but not in the power league of the Esoteric. I also run an Audio Note 4.1 DAC which is also much better than the Metrum, realistic like the Metrum but has the power and depth of the Esoteric. To me the Audio Note DACs are right on the button, they sound so good, so life like. It may be the tubes and the non oversampling? 

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #563 of 1,052
Right now, even that i have a new Blue Hawaii, i´m so much in to my Summit X Loudspeaker system, that i haven´t got motivation for competing my DAC´s.
The ESOTERIC d-02 is a beautiful build and technical impressive machine, which should sound much better than the Metrum octave. But is that really true??
The price tag maybe manipulates the judgement!

First, the basic positioning of the summit has to satisfy my expectations. This is not easy in smaller room situations.
As there is not enough space on the backside to give them air, i experiment in shutting down the dipol to end up in a monitor nearfield situation.
A acryl cover should do that and it seems to get close to my favourable sounding.

Secondly, my ears has to get used to the BHSE sound on the Headphone rack.
Then i will start rotating the DAC´s for comparison on both systems.
Maybe i add a new DAC, the d1-dual TOTALDAC for testing.
I heard so many good things about TOTALDAC and as a ladderDac it could be similar to the metrum but on much much higher level.

This is going to be very interesting
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #564 of 1,052
Saturday nite critical liatening with my Mass Ko Bo 394 full balance desktop Amp meet my first high end headphone Sennheiser HD 580 Precision from year 1996.

Source :
April Music CDA 500 as Transport

Dac/Amp :
Chord Hugo TT as DAC

Desktop Amp :
Mass Ko Bo 394 fully balance Amp

Headphone :
My first High End headphone in year 1996 is Sennheiser HD 580 Prexision first Edition

Cable :
RCA Shunyata USA Ztrone Phyton Digital
Coax Shunyata USA Anaconda

Sound Quality :
My best Desktop set up can drive my Sennheiser HD 580 Precision from year 1996 in amazing sound quality.
IMO

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #566 of 1,052
With the HD800, it was prety much a tie which surprised me. The Naim migh have a slightly better DAC and the McIntosh a little more body and slam. I could live with either one.  Love the McIntosh for the looks and that it has a 50wpc speaker amp and suits my office use.
Bang for buck, it's the Naim at less than 1/2 the price.

Quote:
  So who won?

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #567 of 1,052
a new kid in town---- so i decided not to change my DAC but change the AMP.
its a GRUENSCH (not a GRINCH), a small manufacturer from south germany.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #568 of 1,052
Saturday nite critical liatening with my Mass Ko Bo 394 full balance desktop Amp meet my first high end headphone Sennheiser HD 580 Precision from year 1996.

Source :
April Music CDA 500 as Transport

Dac/Amp :
Chord Hugo TT as DAC

Desktop Amp :
Mass Ko Bo 394 fully balance Amp

Headphone :
My first High End headphone in year 1996 is Sennheiser HD 580 Prexision first Edition

Cable :
RCA Shunyata USA Ztrone Phyton Digital
Coax Shunyata USA Anaconda

Sound Quality :
My best Desktop set up can drive my Sennheiser HD 580 Precision from year 1996 in amazing sound quality.
IMO

It looks like you enjoy the old school stuff a lot!

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #569 of 1,052

Master 11 :D + HE560s + Norne Zoetic Balanced Cable
Vantoo Transparent 1 + Definitive Tech SuperCube2000
Two monitors +mini Ipad for music control.
custom water cooled silent PC. 

OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back