Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply)
Aug 11, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #571 of 1,052
And this is my setup: I've recently changed the source and up to this week I wasn't convinced it was an actual upgrade (or even a side-grade!)
STAX 009, Megahertz Guerra, Lector Audio Digicode S192, so it's a mix of Italian and Japanese craftsmanship. Not the greatest pictures, sorry, but it sounds very good.

Hi realmassy
I am curious about your R-2R DAC. I haven't seen that one before. If you are not happy with it, have you tried the Audio Note DAC 4.1? Very smooth, strong bass and dynamic but also very detailed, partly due to the C-Cores trans on the output. The finished product is about 10K but the kit version is 3.5K US approx. I would try and get a demo from an Audio Note dealer of the finished product, I think it will compliment your amp really well. I use Tungsol 1960s 5687s in mine, they sound great, possibly the best 5687 ever made. I also changed the caps on the output to V-Cap Teflons, it makes it even more transparent and fast. Tube heaven..... PM me if you want a chat.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #572 of 1,052
I'm happy with the Lector, I had to play with settings and cables. Cables had a very good synergy with the Hex but the Digicode has a very different sound signature.
I've only tried a Audio Note 2.1 and was not remotely my cup of tea, so I've rule it out. The kit is not an option either.
I'm not going to change anything in my setup for a while: I've got the 009 for more than 2 years and the Guerra for 1.5 years and I'm enjoying the system a lot. I wish I could spend more time with it though. I'll probably roll some tubes on the Lector, but I need 4 ECC81, so it's not gonna be cheap.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #573 of 1,052
  Indeed. It is, not sure which album I like better Demon Days or Plastic Beach... 

IMO, Demon Days - that much is clear cut. That album art.. Unf..

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #574 of 1,052
  Right now, even that i have a new Blue Hawaii, i´m so much in to my Summit X Loudspeaker system, that i haven´t got motivation for competing my DAC´s.
The ESOTERIC d-02 is a beautiful build and technical impressive machine, which should sound much better than the Metrum octave. But is that really true??
The price tag maybe manipulates the judgement!

First, the basic positioning of the summit has to satisfy my expectations. This is not easy in smaller room situations.
As there is not enough space on the backside to give them air, i experiment in shutting down the dipol to end up in a monitor nearfield situation.
A acryl cover should do that and it seems to get close to my favourable sounding.

Secondly, my ears has to get used to the BHSE sound on the Headphone rack.
Then i will start rotating the DAC´s for comparison on both systems.
Maybe i add a new DAC, the d1-dual TOTALDAC for testing.
I heard so many good things about TOTALDAC and as a ladderDac it could be similar to the metrum but on much much higher level.

This is going to be very interesting
tongue_smile.gif

Jeeze Kalgerman, you robbing banks or something? Seriously really nice set up, I am jealous.

Here is my humble system in the next post.

I too love speakers as well as headphones. Interesting you are Stat Panels as well as Stat phones. I went Horns (small horns). In both it is the micro detail and subtlety on offer IMO.
I like that German amp. I got a New Zealand made Plinius SA-103. Class A 125 Watt into 8 ohms. It gets hot on class A (I can run it in A/B as well) but sounds great, very warm and tube like but very powerful and big dynamics as a good solid state should be. I use a passive pre-amp, misses out another layer and reveals more of the source. To run a passive I had to have a DAC with low output impedance which the Audio Note 4.1 has (10ohms). I like my little Metrum Octave but it is behind the Audio Note by a long way. I bet the D-02 is much better. If you get a TotalDAC in the house, it could be an eye opener? I like R-2R best, it suits my tastes. R-2R is not 'in your face' or 'wow' in a demo. But get it home and listen for a week, and you realise you are forgetting the DAC and turning the music up..... 

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #575 of 1,052
Here is my humble setup. I have 2 systems.

Main headphone system
Mac Mini 8 gig RAM, Audirvana+ direct mode / asyncronious USB
M2Tech Evo full stack USB - SPDIF
Audio Note DAC 4.1 (modded)
KGSShv off-board compact 450v Sanyo 10Ma (headinclouds) amp number 10
SR-009 (UK)
Audio Note AN/V interconnects

Speakers system
As above but
Khozmo Passive pre-amplifier
Plinius SA-103
Zingali Overture 2s

Second system
Mac PowerBook Pro 8 gig RAM Audirvana+ direct mode / asyncronious USB
Metrum Octave MKII
KGSShv off-board compact 450v Sanyo 10Ma (headinclouds) amp number 4
SR-007A (Japan)

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #576 of 1,052

How are you mounting those bookshelf speakers? would you care to share info and maybe another photo with detail? I'm curious as I need something similar to keeping my bookshelf speakers spaced out enough but off my desk. That looks great!

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #577 of 1,052

Nice set up, @  astrostar59.

The KGSShv looks really nice and i especially like the external heatsinks. I was surprised mine didn´t get too hot, but its just a KGSS. I was looking for a used KGSShv with heatsinks for some time but didn't get it in time.

The KGSS sound a little bit too bright on the 009 for my taste. Since i have the Blue Hawaii, i probably will sell all my older Stax stuff.
Nothing comes closer to my taste of music enjoyment than the D-02/KGBHse/009 set.

Maybe things change after testing a Totaldac. R2r DAC´s are quite fancy nowadays and i know they sound really nice. If i had known that at the time i got the D-02,
i might had bought a Totaldac, Pavane, Rockna or the Gryphon Kalliope.

Friends of mine are testing all the big R2R Dac´s on a sophisticated loudspeaker system right now.
The are using GRUENSCH monos for amplification and Lansche audiospeakers with Plasma Tweeter. 
After they set, i hope to recive a TotalDac for testing. 
Right now they wait for a 2nd one, a D1 dual with D1-digitalreclocker. This should be same level, maybe better as my D-02 which costs twice as much as the Totaldac system!!!!! bah-

I also want to compare the GRUNSCH amplifier to a GRYPHON DIABLO amp soon.

Some of my equipment is out of hifi dealers DEMO-set´s and was therefore a lot cheaper to listprice or was special offer, i was not able to resist.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #578 of 1,052
Friends of mine are testing all the big R2R Dac´s on a sophisticated loudspeaker system right now.

Can you get a demo unit of the Audio Note DAC 5? I heard it once and it is awesome. Must be a German dealer?

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #579 of 1,052
No tubes in DAC for me! and i don´t like the way it´s build internal. (just a personal preference) but what i read ist one of the best.
AudioNote is British, i think! 
For sure an add on for the next Highend show at Munich.

I was looking for some real top list dac´s that i know, like MSB, ESOTERIC, DCS....
Now that i got one of them and as i´m amazed about the r2r dac sounding i start with a TOTALDAC for a different sounding. 

I will also benefit from the experiences my friends work out in their test cycles.
Audio Note DAC 5 and the MSB Select DAC are missing in the test-list but might be too overpriced for them.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #582 of 1,052

Master 11 replaces DAC19dsp
smile.gif

nice stuff Leonardo!

does the display bother you? you could order the MCU replacement that makes the display go dark in 7 seconds! Would be better than hanging a black flag :wink:

only one blue led line shows when it goes dark. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #583 of 1,052
  does the display bother you? you could order the MCU replacement that makes the display go dark in 7 seconds! Would be better than hanging a black flag :wink:

only one blue led line shows when it goes dark. 

Yes, I know thanks..I ordered 7 sec black but they missed it somehow..I have no technical skills what so ever, I'll be using a dark film in the near future, that will do the trick
tongue.gif

Your review pulled me to the M11, thanks! I'm very happy with it, the pre-amp is also superb!

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #584 of 1,052

Yes, I know thanks..I ordered 7 sec black but they missed it somehow..I have no technical skills what so ever, I'll be using a dark film in the near future, that will do the trick
tongue.gif

Your review pulled me to the M11, thanks! I'm very happy with it!

Tell kingwa to ship you a new MCU!!!! with the 7sec go dark feature!!!

its super simple to replace! My mom could do it with patience. It is located directly behind the display unit (led panel) very easy access. 

UNLPLUG THE M11 and wait 5min... then you take all the screws off the top of the M11...pull of the top cover...

remove the MCU which is in the pic below... and replace with the new one that kingwa will ship you.

he should honor the mistake and ship to you no charge. be sure to email him and make it known they forgot and ask for them to ship you a replacement no charge.

-T

the MCU is the chip on the right.... just to the right of the Nover Cap...has teh silver pins.  all that takes is using a small plastic pry tool to pull it out.. (note which side is keyed with a marking...)  install the new one in the socket being careful to get all pins into the sockets perfectly before pressing into position. I used a 1/8inch plastic blade tool, even a flat blade screw driver can be wedged under one side and twisted slightly, then work the opposite in the same to get the mcu to pop up and out....  replacement is actually more difficult than removal. But the swap is a difficulty of 1/10. very simply.  like plugging in a light into a socket.  The main thing is use a mirror to verify all pins are into the socket before pushing it into the socket!

I had the same problem when they shipped me the wrong MCU or my NFB28, same exact chip type and same exact process.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #585 of 1,052
To be clear, I ordered the M11 through the Dutch distribitor..and chances are your mother has more skills then me
biggrin.gif

I'll go for the dark film over the display, no problem for me, but thanks m8..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back