Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Feb 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #6,466 of 10,933
Quote:
The bigger problem with RAID is when the controller dies, not the drives. Finding an identical replacement can be tricky, especially a few years down the line. Personally, if I had the money and data worth protecting with such measures, I'd mirror Drobo B800fs's and have one offsite. Super easy to use and business class reliability. Can't ask for much else. 

But that leads to the question, "Do I want to have to rebuild my array when my motherboard dies/gets upgraded?"

Drobo's a good solution for that situation, but waaaay to expensive for my liking. I for one chose a dedicated SAS RAID card because I don't want to have to go through the nightmare of migrating, destroying, and recreating a 9TB+ array if I want to upgrade my motherboard. Also, if you get a card from a reputable brand you have about an 80% chance of it working with a similar brand, as opposed to a 5% chance with a motherboard manufacturer who doesn't care if the new RAID chip matches the old, so long as the new one's cheaper.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #6,468 of 10,933

Quote:

Here is my set-up. It keeps me happy :D
Specs:
Intel 965 Extreme Core i7 3.2 Ghz
3 x Hard Drives; 1 Segate 250GB, 1 WesternDigital 1TB, 1 WesternDigital 2TB
2 x nVidia GeForce GTX 280's (2GB total)
12GB of DDR3 1600MHz Memory

3 x HP S2031's (These fit perfectly on my desk)

Here is my attempt at the cable management, I spent 4 hours working on hiding these wires...

Here is a picture of under the desk,
I might upgrade to a prettier power strip to replace the two mismatch ones I'm currently using. 

i noticed..you kinda got ignore but man! great pictures! as this is the rig page. can we get rig pictures? like of the pc itself and some guts :D

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #6,469 of 10,933

Here's my budget setup. 

I love the HRT MS2 and the CMoy is only temporary until I buy an O2

The 598s are my favorite. My girlfriend mostly uses the KRK ones, and I bought the SR80s just to be able to experience that Grado sound.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #6,474 of 10,933
I saw that same exact setup yesterday so it had to be you.

For information, I don't find reddit quite as useful.  And I think people are a lot more sensitive to blunt comments on gear (i.e someone claimed their gear was "highish end" while I would consider it mid-fi at best).  r/headphones is simply a redundancy to head-fi...  However, I do like that r/audiophile has more perspectives from speaker people.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #6,475 of 10,933
I completely agree with you about r/headphones. Also I think it's funny, but whatever setup you saw on reddit yesterday wasn't actually me unless you browsed way back like a month ago when i submitted mine.

Quote:
I saw that same exact setup yesterday so it had to be you.

For information, I don't find reddit quite as useful.  And I think people are a lot more sensitive to blunt comments on gear (i.e someone claimed their gear was "highish end" while I would consider it mid-fi at best).  r/headphones is simply a redundancy to head-fi...  However, I do like that r/audiophile has more perspectives from speaker people.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #6,476 of 10,933
yeah i find many audio noobs on r/audiophile now...well not noobs but they dont take the time really. so many ATH M50's get thrown into suggestions. head fi has more or less stopped ATH M50 suggestions and now is refocusing on Beyer and Ultrasone..now i know where all these M50 peeps are comming from lolz :D

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #6,477 of 10,933
I like to consider myself an aspiring audiophile and will never be able to consider myself a full audiophile because I dedicate a lot of my time to mixing. The one thing that pisses me off about r/audiophile is that a lot of people who have a pair of ATH-M50s and a Fiio E9 think what they have is considered hi-fi. I'm not a snob about it, I just try my best to filter out those posts and focus on more of what knowledgable people have to say like Uncle_Erik.

Quote:
yeah i find many audio noobs on r/audiophile now...well not noobs but they dont take the time really. so many ATH M50's get thrown into suggestions. head fi has more or less stopped ATH M50 suggestions and now is refocusing on Beyer and Ultrasone..now i know where all these M50 peeps are comming from lolz :D

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #6,478 of 10,933

Quote:
I like to consider myself an aspiring audiophile and will never be able to consider myself a full audiophile because I dedicate a lot of my time to mixing. The one thing that pisses me off about r/audiophile is that a lot of people who have a pair of ATH-M50s and a Fiio E9 think what they have is considered hi-fi. I'm not a snob about it, I just try my best to filter out those posts and focus on more of what knowledgable people have to say like Uncle_Erik.

ahaha yeah uncle erik :D if they think it's hifi..they dont know anything yet haha :D if they say they have an audeuze or hifiman he 500....(or stax)then that's true hi fi. but you know... meh. i also wonder why r/audiophile even exists..many people there are on head fi or use head fi...they can just post on head fi..really

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #6,479 of 10,933
You have a valid point! I don't want to take over this thread, so I'll let everyone post their pics. Enjoy!

Quote:
ahaha yeah uncle erik :D if they think it's hifi..they dont know anything yet haha :D if they say they have an audeuze or hifiman he 500....(or stax)then that's true hi fi. but you know... meh. i also wonder why r/audiophile even exists..many people there are on head fi or use head fi...they can just post on head fi..really

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #6,480 of 10,933
About a month ago, someone posted a picture thread so others can post their setups.  He included his which was a Weiss DAC2, SPL Phonitor, and K702 (maybe the 701) and I commented "maybe it is time to upgrade cans?"  I don't find it offensive; I just think his cans are the weakest link in his chain.  Then I got insulted and downvoted...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back