Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Mar 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #6,751 of 10,933

Quote:
These guys run pretty powerful SMP machines at next to no noise emitted on less thin oil than you might think :)

Wow, that is sick. that's a bit more oil than..less than i think though!

so that means they had an SSD in the oil too? or an HDD out of the oil? and..why the fan? the oil wouldn't that make it hard for the fan to move and is also useless..well maybe sucking oil in the back and out the front or opposite isn't uselss. but i just thought the fan might break as oil is viscocious..not that im saying this guy couldn't have boughten less viscoucious oil.

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #6,752 of 10,933

Quote:

Wow, that is sick. that's a bit more oil than..less than i think though!

so that means they had an SSD in the oil too? or an HDD out of the oil? and..why the fan? the oil wouldn't that make it hard for the fan to move and is also useless..well maybe sucking oil in the back and out the front or opposite isn't uselss. but i just thought the fan might break as oil is viscocious..not that im saying this guy couldn't have boughten less viscoucious oil.

Usually HDDs are left out due to the build nature of mechanical drives, or they're put inside a thin protective shell, while SSDs can be submerged without issues.

My point is that the concept itself is interesting and can be adapted to more visually appealing enclosures.

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #6,753 of 10,933

Quote:

Usually HDDs are left out due to the build nature of mechanical drives, or they're put inside a thin protective shell, while SSDs can be submerged without issues.

My point is that the concept itself is interesting and can be adapted to more visually appealing enclosures.

Yeah I knew the top part, i was asking if he had an SSD as they can be submerged or if he had an HDD most would put it on the outside and that creates noise. 

oh i get what you mean. ill create an underwater .......oceania..something haha.

im guessing most remove the disk drive as that creates sound as well..but i guess it only creates sound when in use and when in use you want to use it...so...meh.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #6,754 of 10,933

Quote:
Yeah I knew the top part, i was asking if he had an SSD as they can be submerged or if he had an HDD most would put it on the outside and that creates noise. 

oh i get what you mean. ill create an underwater .......oceania..something haha.

im guessing most remove the disk drive as that creates sound as well..but i guess it only creates sound when in use and when in use you want to use it...so...meh.

I think you'll find that both a HDD and a SSD when submerged won't do much sound, especially the latter :)

I'm still waiting for my anti-gravity computer though.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #6,755 of 10,933

Quote:
I think you'll find that both a HDD and a SSD when submerged won't do much sound, especially the latter :)

I'm still waiting for my anti-gravity computer though.

well the SSD won't as there's no moving parts, i meant that some don't choose to submerge the HDD as they might not trust it in a protective shell and that creates a heck of a lot of noise..unless you get some green quiet drive...but ..if you do oil. you probably won't be getting green low speed parts

anti gravity? ha.. talk anti matter. now that's what i am talkin' about

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #6,756 of 10,933

Quote:
well the SSD won't as there's no moving parts, i meant that some don't choose to submerge the HDD as they might not trust it in a protective shell and that creates a heck of a lot of noise..unless you get some green quiet drive...but ..if you do oil. you probably won't be getting green low speed parts

anti gravity? ha.. talk anti matter. now that's what i am talkin' about

Anti matter won't be green in my life time, but gravity might still happen.

And honestly, while I value my data, with such a system I would have enough redundancy to worry about the much more expensive main components like motherboard and processors...

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #6,757 of 10,933

Quote:
Anti matter won't be green in my life time, but gravity might still happen.

And honestly, while I value my data, with such a system I would have enough redundancy to worry about the much more expensive main components like motherboard and processors...

until you get some important documents..and then...woooop..gone.you could RAID it or put it on an external not in the oil..but that just made putting the primary HDD in oil...somewhat redundant..somewhat. not fully

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #6,758 of 10,933

Quote:
until you get some important documents..and then...woooop..gone.you could RAID it or put it on an external not in the oil..but that just made putting the primary HDD in oil...somewhat redundant..somewhat. not fully

The moment data becomes more valuable than many megabucks computers all together, redundancy won't be an issue. You might even have a hard drive buried of mine buried on the foundations of your place lol.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #6,759 of 10,933

Quote:
The moment data becomes more valuable than many megabucks computers all together, redundancy won't be an issue. You might even have a hard drive buried of mine buried on the foundations of your place lol.

meh. oil isn't my thing, it's way too...well you know. ill just stick with all in one Liquid Cooling until i get some serious money for some custom liquid builds.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #6,760 of 10,933

Quote:
meh. oil isn't my thing, it's way too...well you know. ill just stick with all in one Liquid Cooling until i get some serious money for some custom liquid builds.

Liquid? Meh. Air will suffice until I enough funds are available. And I'm out.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #6,762 of 10,933
I own the Cooler Master HAF 912 recently, and its a great case.  Lots of airflow and gives that "gamer" look.  Which I'm starting to grow out of almost entirely.  Plus its a dust-magnet, even with dust-filters.  Finally, it can tend to grow loud, which is terrible!  I have a few cases that I have been considering to upgrade to as of late.

Corsair 550D

Fractal Design R3 (color would be a tough one to pick)

I never tried Lian Li, but the PC-A71F looks like a beast!

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #6,764 of 10,933

Quote:

*tisk tisk tisk* you newbies don't know anything. this is how it's done.

These are so cool!

My God this case is stunning!  I want one even though I have no practical or rational reason to buy one!  Sonically it looks like a bit of a person case also with hard drive cage elements directly behind the intake fans, and very obtrusive screening to the top/rear exhaust fan.  But god damn if that case isn't the most beautiful computer case ever created!

For reference any obstructions placed behind the fans will create buffeting noise unless you are using very low fan speeds (eg not high enough for gaming gear.)  First thing I would do is drill out the rivets holding that lower HDD cage in (can use bolts to install it later if need be), replace the fans with Scythe Slipstreams and apply acoustic foam to the side panels and inside of front door.

I can almost justify buying one....  Wonder how long I can hold out...  Damn you for posting this! 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back