Pics of my new Little Dot Mk3
Jun 24, 2008 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

Enthusia

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought this off enjoiflibees(thanks) and I want to share with everyone some pictures I just took. Enjoy!

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

I am keeping it on the computer for now because I have no room to put it anywhere else, but as soon as I find a stable area, it will surely go there instead.

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am keeping it on the computer for now because I have no room to put it anywhere else, but as soon as I find a stable area, it will surely go there instead.

Um, really a bad idea. There are lots of subtle vibrations inside a desktop PC chassis that can contribute to tube ringing, however minor. There's also a lot of electromagnetic radiation inside the computer that would probably affect your amp.

Also, do you normally position your PC like that? Also not good for it to sit so close to a monitor especially without a panel.

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, really a bad idea. There are lots of subtle vibrations inside a desktop PC chassis that can contribute to tube ringing, however minor. There's also a lot of electromagnetic radiation inside the computer that would probably affect your amp.

Also, do you normally position your PC like that? Also not good for it to sit so close to a monitor especially without a panel.

I do alot of work on my computer constantly so positioning it like this is more efficient for me and also the room as you can tell is very small and putting it on the ground, will do more harm than good. I do not see why putting a monitor next to a computer will cause any problems. Ive had this set up for years and I know others that do this also. If you can find me an article/research that says putting monitors next to computers is harmful, then I will definitely move it, but right now it is good where it is. Like ive already mentioned, I already know the amp is in a perculiar position and I will move it as soon as I find space.

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 69
Monitors aren't magnetically shielded and are susceptible to interference. The naked eye might not see the interference but it's definitely there. And no offense but you're using the excuse that you know other people do it? Just because other or so many people do something doesn't make it right, and there are lots of pervasive computer-use habits that have spread out because of either myths or mis-information, or lack of information. The scientific research behind not putting monitors and computers close together has been out since the early 90s, you can look it up yourself.

EM radiation is invisible and deadly, and leaving your computer open like that at desk level will slowly but surely kill you in the long term. If space is that much of a premium for you, you should get a laptop.

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Monitors aren't magnetically shielded and are susceptible to interference. The naked eye might not see the interference but it's definitely there. And no offense but you're using the excuse that you know other people do it? Just because other or so many people do something doesn't make it right, and there are lots of pervasive computer-use habits that have spread out because of either myths or mis-information, or lack of information. The scientific research behind not putting monitors and computers close together has been out since the early 90s, you can look it up yourself.

EM radiation is invisible and deadly, and leaving your computer open like that at desk level will slowly but surely kill you in the long term. If space is that much of a premium for you, you should get a laptop.

I don't know who you are nor do I have any quarrel with you, but your certainly starting off your comments as if you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. This thread is not about reorganizing my personel space, it is about the pictures of the Little Dot MkIII. I know you are trying to help out, but it really isn't any of your business, especially telling me to buy a laptop when you know nothing about me.

edit: I just searched up some information regarding electromagnetic radiation and computers and guess what? It is slim to none because computers release non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation which basically means it is harmless to humans. As for the monitors such as CRT"s they release harmful rays if you sit closer than an arms length to them, luckily I have an LCD which do not have those harmful effect and are very safe.

Here is the source if you are still not convinced http://ergonomics.ucla.edu/articles/EMRandComp.pdf

Also I would like you to edit your post because it is deceiving to other people who read it. Specifically what I want you to change is this Quote:

leaving your computer open like that at desk level will slowly but surely kill you in the long term

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 69
Any tone I've meant to impart on my posts is mere neutrality, not one of argument or provocation. I'm just trying to provide info that you might not have known, so no need for you to perceive otherwise.

It's a known fact that all electronic devices radiate electromagnetic waves (and visible light is part of the spectrum btw), including LCD monitors (their EM energy is far lower than CRTs of course, and they radiate mostly visible light too) and long-term exposure to the invisible spectrum can be lethal. Why would I edit my post when that information is factual?

Sorry to hijack the thread but your third pic really compelled me to point out the hazard in your situation - for the amp, your monitor, and yourself. If you hadn't posted that pic, I wouldn't be here.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 69
Quote:

It's a known fact that all electronic devices radiate electromagnetic waves (and visible light is part of the spectrum btw), and long-term exposure to the invisible spectrum can be lethal. Why would I edit my post when that information is factual?

Not exactly what you say is true. Like I have mentioned before computers emit non-ionizing radiation which makes your statement false.

Quote:

Computers emit non-ionizing radiation. Multiple studies have been completed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Radiological Health and Devices, Bell Laboratories, and The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health. The data from their work indicates that computer VDTs "…emit little or no harmful ionizing (e.g., x-rays) or non-ionizing (e.g., infrared) radiation under normal operating conditions." (See http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pdfs/99-135.pdf).

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 69
I like the MK III, it's exactly like mine
smily_headphones1.gif
Nice pics BTW !!!

As for the other stuff ? Gotta die sometime......

When ? It is up to your genes and your life style for the most part (IMHO at least).

I do agree with getting the amp off the comp case, makes a decent difference to SQ if you can add good "feet" to the MK III as well. I used a trio of cheap and heavy brass cones. 20 bucks or less for some good ones.

Enjoy the MK III, it's a cool(hot) little amp
smily_headphones1.gif

What cans are you using with it ?

Peete.

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 69
I have to agree with ASR with regard to interference.

If you are into audio you'd know that audio manufacturer and enthusiast go to great length to combat interference, that's one of the reason on people move their DAC out of the PC, buy uber expensive shielded cable, separate power supply from main enclosure and etc. To put you amp on an open PC like that is just like go to an expensive French restaurant, pack your nice hot sizzling meat into a cardboard box, bring it home, and eat it when it is cold.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 69
Christ, people...stay on topic.

"Is that Curel lotion on your bookshelf? Do you use it for it's moisturizing properties or to masturbate? I see you like Metal Gear...are you excited about MG4? Hey! We use the same canned air and gaming pad! Neat!"

Lol...

I do like the Little Dot...not so little once you get it, is it? I want to pick up a MKIVse to pair with my MKV, but that's a long way off...

And yeah...if you can, move it away from the PC, the vibes will kill your enjoyment of the amp quicker than your PC will kill YOU...

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, those are the sr-80's and hd555's. The case is a rocketfish which is basically a rebranded Lian Li, it is very sturdy and well built.

Congratulations on the fine MKIII! I just love how slim and sleek they look! I have mine sitting next to my MKIVse and I must say, they make a good looking pair!!

When it's night, take some pics of your tubes glowing. There is even a tube glowing thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/nig...m-here-290757/ to post and share them in.

See ya!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back