Pico vs Predator, and the winner is....both!
Jun 5, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #16 of 36
Which one would you choose if we are talking about using with Grado hp? thx

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PeterDLai, too bad I didnt see you were in UCLA. I work in UCLA, but now I don't have any of those two amps anymore.

Had both Predator (over 700hr) and Pico (over 1000hr). It's wierd, because I don't like neutral headphones. I need bass and warmth. But I must say I prefer Pico neutrality to Predator color.
To me, predator compresses the sound which makes it sound somewhat artificial, especially the bass. The bass is clearly the biggest difference between those two amps. The compressed bass gives more impact but it is less extended and, even worse, the bass sounds like wrong to me. The bass drum in all the songs I have changes frequency, it's shifted to the higher bass freq. No exception. I've never experienced that with any headphones. Headphones have different frequency response, but never shift frequency of some instruments.
So that's why I like Pico better. And that was out of the DAC. I almost never used those two amps for their amp section only. But don't get me wrong, Predator is a great portable amp, it has the punch Pico will never have and that's what I love about the predator. But if I had to choose one, it would be the Pico.

And I have to agree, the best setup is Laptop > Pico DAC > Predator Amp. Really best of both world. Pico gives the extension on both ends and Predator gives the aggresiveness and punch. Lovely!

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #18 of 36
never heard Predator. But from what you guys mentioned, PICO is more neutral and detailed, then I am all set then since I much prefer such sound signature. I will just happily enjoy my PICO
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never heard Predator. But from what you guys mentioned, PICO is more neutral and detailed, then I am all set then since I much prefer such sound signature. I will just happily enjoy my PICO
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like a good plan. The Pico is definitely more detailed, at least at this point in breaking in the Predator which now has about 400 hours. That is why I like combining them to add in the detail the Pico has.

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 36
I replaced my $800 Harmonic Technology Magic Link 2 interconnect with a little Revelation Audio mini to mini interconnect and if anything I like the sound better. I think the Harmonic Tech was held back by the mini to RCA adaptors I was using. So at least now it is not costing me quite so much to have both amps in the signal chain (at least once I sell the Harmonic Tech). And every time I get curious and try listening with either amp alone, I end up going back to the combination. There is something more refined and complete about the sound.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #21 of 36
When doing this what volume level do you set the Pico? Do you use it like a preamp and adjust it's volume leaving the Predator at a preset gain or the otherway around?

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #22 of 36
I go back and forth between using the Pico's volume and the Predator's to control levels, but as far as I can tell it does not make much difference. So most of the time I just set the Pico at about 3/4 and then use the Predator's volume control for fine tuning.

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #23 of 36
I'd say Pico wins in sound quality by a thousand miles over the Predator.

The Predator is just a basic Chu Moy amp cloaked in emperor's clothing. What you're paying for the Predator is basically the fancy external case.

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by amicus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Predator is just a basic Chu Moy amp cloaked in emperor's clothing. What you're paying for the Predator is basically the fancy external case.

What hole did you just crawl out of, that you feel you can just make up stuff like that? I don't get it?

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jojoarmani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico sounds awesome. I want one, but for $500... sheesh, anything perform as well for $350 or less?

I'd even sell my expensive bike for pico; good idea!

Isn't the Pico without the DAC only $370?

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by amicus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well I am glad you have a good track record here to back up your statement. I mean 1 post adds a lot to credibility. But, I am smiling because what you have said is funny in an ironic way because it belies the truth. Thank you I needed a laugh this AM.

Please do post though and maybe with some forethought and impressions that lead you to this statement. Do you own both?

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I am glad you have a good track record here to back up your statement. I mean 1 post adds a lot to credibility. But, I am smiling because what you have said is funny in an ironic way because it belies the truth. Thank you I needed a laugh this AM.

Please do post though and maybe with some forethought and impressions that lead you to this statement. Do you own both?

LMAO!
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I smell ANDR_A.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO!
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I smell ANDR_A.

I hope not. I would hope whom ever it is, that they have a real reason, as in having heard each in a undisturbed and extended manner, for making such a statement, though this isn't always and often in such blunt statements, the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back