Pico vs Predator, and the winner is....both!
Jun 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #31 of 36
Wow, that's the multi-combinations without any distortion?
each of them has 3 gains,thats 9 in total. it would be 27 adding one more and 27*3...27*3*3.........seems as if there are many different ones.
BTW,
Having a power amp to connect with might be helpful for building up a cool home system
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #32 of 36
I have decided to further simplify and sell my Pico. The combination of the two (Pico and Predator) still sounds the best overall in terms of a mix of clarity and detail with some warmth, but the Predator by itself comes pretty damn close, and in some ways is easier to live with as it does not get overly bright. The MD5000 headphones are already incredibly detailed and sometimes with the added detail and brightness of the Pico as DAC only, it gets to be too much. And the Pico by itself is even more prone to getting too harsh, but that is with the MD5000 which do not need any extra help in that regard. The Pico is still an amazing unit, and if you are wanting more detail and clarity then it might just be the ticket.

So the Pico went up for sale on Headfi today, and I plan to donate all of the money to a good cause (can't say what or the moderators will delete this post).

Sep 19, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #33 of 36
Cool, is the good cause a charity or politics, or cigars and cognac? I have to keep my Pico for comparison in all the amp reviews I do, otherwise I might have sold it too; except the Pico does get along very well with my APS V2 cabled D2000 and I sometimes use it as my DAC to feed a desktop amp in my basement (too much trouble to disconnect my Apogee from the main rig or the Micro DAC from the bedside rig).

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #35 of 36
The thread was started before there was such a forum, but if the moderators catch this, maybe they can switch it over.

And anyone can PM me if they want to know where the money will end up, but it does not involve ingestible items.

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #36 of 36
I think I am experiencing the benefits of break in with the Predator as it keeps getting better and better, which may be why it has really closed the gap versus the Pico/Predator combo. I have lost track of my hours on this unit but it must be pushing 800 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back