Pico vs Predator, and the winner is....both!
Jun 4, 2008 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Nirmalanow

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been enjoying trying out a Pico and Predator with my new MarkL Modded D5000 headphones. and they both sound as good as their reputations would suggest. But somehow I could not pick out which one I like better. I like the detail and clarity of the Pico although it is a bit bright with the modded D5000s which are very detailed headphones, and I like the tone and overall sound of the Predator but find I miss the extra level of detail I hear with the Pico.

The solution was simple: I use them both. Many have already noted how the DAC in the Pico is an overachiever and can be used a DAC/preamp to feed another amp. And others have suggested the amp section of the Predator is something special. So I have my Pico feeding the Predator and it seems to give the best of both worlds. Incredible detail with enough warmth and smoothness to not be overly bright. The sound just feels right and gives a nice illusion of a live event.

The difference between either amp alone and the combination is not like night and day. These are both very competent performers. But there is an added suchness to the music when I use them both. This might be in part aided by the Harmonic Technology Magic Link 2 interconnect I am using between them. Kind of nuts to be using an $800 interconnect with a $500 DAC and amp but that is what I have on hand. And a lot of the credit for the sound also goes to the MarkL phones. They are a revelation and a joy to listen to. But all other things being equal, I still like the combination of the Pico and Predator more than either one alone.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirmalanow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of nuts to be using an $800 interconnect with a $500 DAC and amp but that is what I have on hand.

Well, actually it's a nearly $1000 DAC/amp if you add the prices together. I'm not nit-picking here, merely trying to help you justify this.
biggrin.gif

Knowing this place, you may have just started the "flavor of the month".

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, actually it's a nearly $1000 DAC/amp if you add the prices together. I'm not nit-picking here, merely trying to help you justify this.
biggrin.gif

Knowing this place, you may have just started the "flavor of the month".

I like your math!

But I am not sure if I want the dubious honor of starting a FOTM but I guess its too late.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Predator sound like other RSA amps ? Is there such thing as "RSA sound signature" ?

The Predator doesn't sound anything like my old Tomahawk. The Predator has a much more solid and tangible feel to the musical instrument's sound.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

I have been enjoying trying out a Pico and Predator with my new MarkL Modded D5000 headphones. and they both sound as good as their reputations would suggest. But somehow I could not pick out which one I like better. I like the detail and clarity of the Pico although it is a bit bright with the modded D5000s which are very detailed headphones, and I like the tone and overall sound of the Predator but find I miss the extra level of detail I hear with the Pico.

The solution was simple: I use them both. Many have already noted how the DAC in the Pico is an overachiever and can be used a DAC/preamp to feed another amp. And others have suggested the amp section of the Predator is something special. So I have my Pico feeding the Predator and it seems to give the best of both worlds. Incredible detail with enough warmth and smoothness to not be overly bright. The sound just feels right and gives a nice illusion of a live event.

The difference between either amp alone and the combination is not like night and day. These are both very competent performers. But there is an added suchness to the music when I use them both. This might be in part aided by the Harmonic Technology Magic Link 2 interconnect I am using between them. Kind of nuts to be using an $800 interconnect with a $500 DAC and amp but that is what I have on hand. And a lot of the credit for the sound also goes to the MarkL phones. They are a revelation and a joy to listen to. But all other things being equal, I still like the combination of the Pico and Predator more than either one alone.

Is this with or without your super tweeters
smily_headphones1.gif

(I too have kept both the Predator and Pico)

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 36
Jun 4, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

But I am not sure if I want the dubious honor of starting a FOTM but I guess its too late.
rolleyes.gif

It is too late... see, HeadphoneAddict admits to having them also. Now, everyone will want one err... two, well you know what I mean.
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is too late... see, HeadphoneAddict admits to having them also. Now, everyone will want one err... two, well you know what I mean.
biggrin.gif

You mean the Predator and Pico combo? Larry's been using that combination for quite sometime now. Just not together like you have.

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 36
My Predator still has some breaking in to do. Right now it is at the 350 hour mark. So it will be interesting to see if in a month or so, I still like the combo better or if the Predator matures enough to stand alone. I will post back with any further observations.

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 36
PeterDLai, too bad I didnt see you were in UCLA. I work in UCLA, but now I don't have any of those two amps anymore.

Had both Predator (over 700hr) and Pico (over 1000hr). It's wierd, because I don't like neutral headphones. I need bass and warmth. But I must say I prefer Pico neutrality to Predator color.
To me, predator compresses the sound which makes it sound somewhat artificial, especially the bass. The bass is clearly the biggest difference between those two amps. The compressed bass gives more impact but it is less extended and, even worse, the bass sounds like wrong to me. The bass drum in all the songs I have changes frequency, it's shifted to the higher bass freq. No exception. I've never experienced that with any headphones. Headphones have different frequency response, but never shift frequency of some instruments.
So that's why I like Pico better. And that was out of the DAC. I almost never used those two amps for their amp section only. But don't get me wrong, Predator is a great portable amp, it has the punch Pico will never have and that's what I love about the predator. But if I had to choose one, it would be the Pico.

And I have to agree, the best setup is Laptop > Pico DAC > Predator Amp. Really best of both world. Pico gives the extension on both ends and Predator gives the aggresiveness and punch. Lovely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back