Pico - USB DAC/Amplifier From HeadAmp
Jan 4, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #451 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewart572 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steven

Glad to hear your Pico arrived and you're enjoying it. At present, I'm looking for a USB DAC/Amp, but it doesn't have to be portable. Desktop size will do, though smaller is no disadvantage.

I wonder which desktop size USB DAC/Amps you or others would think are equal in sound quality to the Pico?
For starters, how would it compare with Dussun T2, KingRex T20U, Meier Corda Cantate (all similar price) Lucid, Benchmark, (3-4X price)

Cheers

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I love the Pico, even better than I expected.

Sadly I have never found a DAC/AMP I'm happy with in my price range, always going for seperates, and I stopped looking, just waiting for teh Pico. I don't even know the difference between the Opera and the Cantate (anyone, just quickly?)

I feel that there is probably no competition to the Pico, even given no size restriction. Used, there probably is, but I don't know what.

I love the Benchmark DAC1 but that's more $$$

I'm not the right guy to answer your question well sorry.

Is there anything about the Pico you don't like the idea of?

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #452 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did everyone who purchased this get the DAc version? No one got the non-DAC version? er??

Only 14% of Picos so far are Amp only. It's an awesome amp for $300 and if you don't need the DAC, why pay for it? Most people probably reckon that $200 for that DAC is an absolute steal and if you aren't going to use it, get it anyway as you might one day.

If you use a PC as source and don't have an excellent DAC already, it's a no-brainer.

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #453 of 711
Given the return policy, why not try it as a dac. While you're at it, try the amp up against what you've got already...you may decide you like it better than alternatives.

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #455 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys listen to the Pico on low or high gain? I should listen to my HD600s on high gain, right? One headfier just claimed that music always sounds better on low gain. Always?

As a rule of thumb - low gain - is an easier animal to tame and tends to have lower noise floor and tends to be more at ease in dishing out micro-dynamics.

Of course it all depends on the design and implementation ...
Ultimately trust your own ears.

Cheers
Sunil.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #456 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My opinion: the DAC is very nice, but you're paying a LOT to use this just as a DAC. You could spend that kind of money and get a nicer unit. I'd consider one of the NOS DAC's with USB (Paradesea, Comnstantine, etc.), a Headroom DAC unit, the DAC 1 you mention (there, you pay more for the DAC than the amp), or others. Try searching for USB DAC in the source forums....

I purchased Pico because of the DAC only, don't care about amp much.
That's for office use, as a replacement for HR MicroDAC, home rig is furnished with DA100, which is a terrific DAC for the price, but a bit more expensive and with a much bigger footprint.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #457 of 711
Quote:

Why did everyone who purchased this get the DAc version? No one got the non-DAC version? er??

The only reason I got a Pico was because it came with a USB DAC. I use computer as my source and it is hard to find a good DAC and an Amp for $500. Plus then you will also have to spend good money on a decent cable. Since Pico is a 1 unit solution, the 2 parts of it were tweaked to sound good with each other so they have a very nice synergy already.

If you ever use a computer as a source, get the DAC... you will not regret it.

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #458 of 711
Quote:

Because a $200 DAC that sounds this good is just too hard to pass up. I do most of my listening at work with an iPod and the Pico as a amp but when I'm at home and want to listen to my PS-1 I have a very small solution that gives me big sound w/out piles of gear and cables.

Bottom line is the Pico is a lot of bang for the buck when you consider SQ, portability, convenience, battery life and versatility.

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #459 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Stewart,

I love the Pico, even better than I expected.

Sadly I have never found a DAC/AMP I'm happy with in my price range, always going for seperates, and I stopped looking, just waiting for teh Pico. I don't even know the difference between the Opera and the Cantate (anyone, just quickly?)

I feel that there is probably no competition to the Pico, even given no size restriction. Used, there probably is, but I don't know what.

I love the Benchmark DAC1 but that's more $$$

I'm not the right guy to answer your question well sorry.

Is there anything about the Pico you don't like the idea of?

Steven
No, but sometimes miniaturisation comes at a price, eg laptop computers are considerably more expensive than desktop computers for the same performance. I was just wondering if the same might apply here.

Cheers

Stewart

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #460 of 711
just got my all black pico. First thing I said after opening the box was "Holy crap, What, its so small". The damn thing is smaller than my Mini^3 and I thought that was small already. Charged up and stuff, havent tried it out yet though. Got #20
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #461 of 711
ah i see..computer as a source is better than an mp3 + cables..

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #462 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewart572 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steven
No, but sometimes miniaturisation comes at a price, eg laptop computers are considerably more expensive than desktop computers for the same performance. I was just wondering if the same might apply here.

Cheers

Stewart

I don't think so, I would say the opposite. The Pico is good value for the quality of it's amp and DAC. The small size is just a bonus to me.

It may be possible to get equal or better sound quality from used separates if you get a bargain, but maybe not too. Plus it would be a hassle.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #463 of 711
Ok initial impressions on the Pico I received today. After receiving it I didnt actually try it out until some 8 hours later because I knew it was going to be better than my Mini^3 but didnt think it would be THAT much better. So I drove to my GF's house (20 min drive), used a Ipod 5.5g with super cotton dock thru to my car's AUX port.

Firstly, question for Justin. Did you sprinkle magical fairy dust on this thing or something? The first track I listened to (j-pop ballad, ALAC) already blew me away with how good this tiny magic box sounds. My previous portable amp was a MisterX Mini^3 that also uses the AD8397 opamp used in the Pico, which is a good amp for the price, but there was ABSOLUTELY NO comparison.

The first thing that struck me was how clear and detailed the Pico is, I was hearing so many new things in my music it was like listening to them for the first time. I also noticed that the bass, well there was plenty of it, since the AD8397 is known to have some bass punch but the difference between the Mini3 and Pico is that the Pico's bass is VERY tight and controlled, whereas the Mini3 bass was just boomy. Also the Pico's soundstage is in another class compared to the Mini3. Another thing is that I experienced some harshness in some female vocal tracks with the mini3 but not with the Pico, everything sounded very smooth

The entire 20 minute drive I was getting goosebumps and thinking how the heck does something this small put out this kind of sound. Even after getting to my gf's house I stayed in my car another 20 mins with my eyes closed, just listening to the music. I remembered that I gave my gf my A900s to use so I tried those and I have never heard them sound so good. Once again the detail/clarity, bass control, and soundstage just blows you away. They sounded almost, if not, just as good as when I used them with my HA5000. I havent tried the DAC yet but if just the amp section is this good and the DAC is as good as what people say, then this is one of the best spent $500 i've done in awhile.

Heres to you Justin, I dont know how you did it but you did and I thank you for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Gonna try this baby with the W5000s now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back