Pico - USB DAC/Amplifier From HeadAmp
Jan 3, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #421 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pico is silent it's true.

With the USB DAC it sounds flawless and almost dead silent, only the very slightest of hums when the music is paused and the volume cranked to the max. First "silent" PC source I've ever heard, apart from optical.

Through the imod the standard background ticking of an ipod/imod is faintly audible at max power with music paused.

The background noise during "silent" parts of any recording is massively louder than the ipod ticking anyway though. If you don't pause the music you won't hear it, no way.

Listening to music:

There are differences in the sound between the Pico DAC and the imod/v-cap combo. I need to listen a lot more to reach any conclusions though. I suspect there won't be a winner, just differences but I could be wrong, one may do something better than the other. These things take time to discover for sure.

So far, both sound top shelf to me.

That is an amazing statement as to the quality from the Pico's dac. Comparing it to a $1000 worth of iPod/iMod/V-cap upgrades and having a hard time picking a winner.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #422 of 711
Hi guys, I'm not really interested in the amp section of this little baby (planning to get something like a Darkvoice 332), but I'm looking to upgrade my beresford with something serious (desktop use), would this a good choice or a Dac 1 would make more sense ?

Sorry for being a noob :p

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #423 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is an amazing statement as to the quality from the Pico's dac. Comparing it to a $1000 worth of iPod/iMod/V-cap upgrades and having a hard time picking a winner.

Are you saying that the ipod's dac is not as good as the Pico's dac.
eek.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #424 of 711
Heh there's no way the ipod dac is as good as the pico dac.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #425 of 711
I don't see how it could be as good either, just from looking at the specs but knowing that it is well implemented. . well. . .

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #426 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh there's no way the ipod dac is as good as the pico dac.

he was joking
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #427 of 711
Ahh ;p Can never tell if people are for serious when they talk about the Imod. Not after you hear-mention how many thousands of dollars of cdp it can beat out.

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #428 of 711
Ok, not to get off subject too much but I have never heard the Imod. Is it really good and not just talk?

edit: Ok, I see that the newer ipods also use the Wolfson. I didn't know that. V caps are some of the best though there are some who will cast doubt on this, but what a cost. So if you have a modded ipod with a Wolfson already at use why go with a USB dac/amp? I guess one reason would be while at the computer you and plug and go and then on the walkies you got good tunes also. They should be near equal since you have a hard drive at the USB and on the ipod.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #429 of 711
I've talked to digihead a lot about the iMod and V-cap combo and I trust his opinion as we seem to be in sync with what we hear from things. I believe him when he says that the iMod and Vcap combo brings portable audio to a whole new level and in our world is justified (in most cases).

I did not go that route because in the end I felt that the cost was too great and there were too many pieces of gear to carry and connect. I've heard nothing but good things about it but I just didn't want the hassle.

I would say anyone using a source with a optical/coax/usb would have no reason to go this route since there are so many great dacs out there but someone looking for the best of the best in a digital camera size bag could combine the iMod/Vcap and killer amp/IEM's of choice for the ultimate portable rig.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #430 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, not to get off subject too much but I have never heard the Imod. Is it really good and not just talk?

edit: Ok, I see that the newer ipods also use the Wolfson. I didn't know that. V caps are some of the best though there are some who will cast doubt on this, but what a cost. So if you have a modded ipod with a Wolfson already at use why go with a USB dac/amp? I guess one reason would be while at the computer you and plug and go and then on the walkies you got good tunes also. They should be near equal since you have a hard drive at the USB and on the ipod.

Wolfson is a company name, they make many different kinds of chips for digital audio. I think there is some confusion there because they're not as big a name as Texas Instruments or Analog Devices. The Wolfson CODECs used in iPods have no where near the performance of the best DAC chips that Wolfson offers. Texas Instruments has many chips similar to what's in the iPod, and if Apple used them nobody would say "The iPod has a Texas Instruments in it"

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 3, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #431 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wolfson is a company name, they make many different kinds of chips for digital audio. I think there is some confusion there because they're not as big a name as Texas Instruments or Analog Devices. The Wolfson CODECs used in iPods have no where near the performance of the best DAC chips that Wolfson offers. Texas Instruments has many chips similar to what's in the iPod, and if Apple used them nobody would say "The iPod has a Texas Instruments in it"

Ok, thanks. I am starting to hone in on it now. I have a learning curve but it kicks in pretty quick. I wondered why an iPod would have a top of the line dac chip and of course as you state companies normally always have different levels. So when is the Pico going for dual dacs? :^)

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #432 of 711
Is there a way to use the Pico's USB dac, other than using a computer as a source?

I am trying to find if there is an alternate to iMod - but using a portable dac.

Thanks

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #433 of 711
Not that I can think of (unless there is some CDP with a usb out or something to that effect).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back