Pico - USB DAC/Amplifier From HeadAmp
Jan 3, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #436 of 711
Yeah, but one with USB out and 120gb hard drive. :^)

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #437 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is an amazing statement as to the quality from the Pico's dac. Comparing it to a $1000 worth of iPod/iMod/V-cap upgrades and having a hard time picking a winner.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I love the sound of the imod with v-caps and it's not that expensive when you DIY the docks and cables. Having said that, the Pico is certainly more accurate. I need to listen more before saying more. As Justin says though, I would expect the Pico to sound
"better" than an imod.

Can't use a Pico portably though. (The DAC at least). I can't even use the Pico DAC in my home stereo without putting another PC there, so the imod is staying, but in front of the PC, I think I may be choosing Pico DAC over imod DAC.

One more thing, when hooked into the charger, the Pico gives zero extra noise/hum. Can't say that for the imod, although the extra noise is at a level far below what you will hear on silent parts of source matetrial.

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #438 of 711
Do you guys listen to the Pico on low or high gain? I should listen to my HD600s on high gain, right? One headfier just claimed that music always sounds better on low gain. Always?

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #439 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys listen to the Pico on low or high gain? I should listen to my HD600s on high gain, right? One headfier just claimed that music always sounds better on low gain. Always?

That guys thinks he's know everything. He gets obsessed with one brand and talks about it like it's the best and everthing else is crap.
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #442 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It shouldn't affect the sound either way (might , but shouldn't). You should use the one where you feel like you are happy with the position and sensitivity of the volume knob. If you are maxed out on low gain, switch to high. If you have barely turned it on with high gain, switch to low.

The Rudistor amps sound better on High gain, My RPX-33 certainly did anyway.

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #443 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilgello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I'm not really interested in the amp section of this little baby (planning to get something like a Darkvoice 332), but I'm looking to upgrade my beresford with something serious (desktop use), would this a good choice or a Dac 1 would make more sense ?

Sorry guys to come back on this, but I'm really trying to find a good DAC without having to sell my car.

What do you think of the plico just for desktop DAC use ?

Can I go for something better (even used) for the same price range?

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #444 of 711
Quote:

Sorry guys to come back on this, but I'm really trying to find a good DAC without having to sell my car.

Thanks!

My opinion: the DAC is very nice, but you're paying a LOT to use this just as a DAC. You could spend that kind of money and get a nicer unit. I'd consider one of the NOS DAC's with USB (Paradesea, Comnstantine, etc.), a Headroom DAC unit, the DAC 1 you mention (there, you pay more for the DAC than the amp), or others. Try searching for USB DAC in the source forums....

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #445 of 711
Quote:

Thanks!

Man, don't go crazy, get your priorities right.

No matter how much you spend on a car it's never going to sound as good as a great DAC
wink.gif

I don't have any specific ideas, love the Pico and have no evidence to support this, but I would suspect that $500 can buy you a used stand alone DAC that would do better than the Pico for your purposes, if your getting a better amp. Maybe a Stello DA100 or something?

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #448 of 711
Steven

Glad to hear your Pico arrived and you're enjoying it. At present, I'm looking for a USB DAC/Amp, but it doesn't have to be portable. Desktop size will do, though smaller is no disadvantage.

I wonder which desktop size USB DAC/Amps you or others would think are equal in sound quality to the Pico?
For starters, how would it compare with Dussun T2, KingRex T20U, Meier Corda Cantate (all similar price) Lucid, Benchmark, (3-4X price)

Cheers

Stewart

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #449 of 711
Why did everyone who purchased this get the DAc version? No one got the non-DAC version? er??

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #450 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did everyone who purchased this get the DAc version? No one got the non-DAC version? er??

I bought the non-DAC version. Had no use for it. I love the amp on the Pico. Terrific synergy with my RS-1s. Goes great with my DT990/600 as well. And though it is a small detail, I love how there is a charging light to tell you when it is charging and when it is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back