Pico slim or TTVJ slim
Jul 11, 2010 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Adamus00

New Head-Fier
Hi!
I'm looking for an amp with good quality of sound, moderate or wide soundstage.
I have sony NWZ-X1050 and Shure SRH-840, and planning to buy JVC FX700.
Have any one chance to compare these two amps? Which should play better with my hardware?

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 22
There is an amp-only version of the TTVJ slim, which should be more appropriate to your equipment unless you needed a USB DAC for computer-based audio as well.

I'm not familiar with your gear, but I do have the TTVJ unit and a Pico Slim on order, which I have also briefly auditioned.  The Pico is even more compact, but offhand, I do prefer the slightly warmer sound quality of the TTVJ Slim, at least with my JH13 Pros, which is what I used to audition the Pico.  My preference may change after I get my own and spend some more time with it, as it may be a good fit for the JH16 Pros.

Not sure if this is any help, I just do not feel comfortable recommending anything unless I have spent considerable time researching and listening to it.

Jul 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 22
You mean amps, of course.  
wink_face.gif

Selecting amps is always tricky because they are in the middle of the chain.  Most people prefer neutrality in amps as well as other characteristics.  Everything begins at the source, so if your source (player) has a colored sound sig and you're not entirely happy with it, an amp may not be able to "correct" that issue.  

The most resolving, arguably one of the highest overall quality portable amp you find on the market today is the balanced RSA Protector.  So it may compliment your Sony X when driven from a LOD cable, but you may also be able to achieve better results by putting that money towards a pair of JH13 Pro customs, which can be driven directly out of the HP-out of the player and experience far better overall results than trying to amp universal-class IEMs.

There are a lot of variables to consider and none of them cheap, so there is a lot to consider.  You may want to check if there is a local Meet in your area so that you can mingle with fellow head-fiers and have a chance to audition some systems, headphones and impressions before spending a bunch of money.  Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 22
Amps of course :) :) . I usually listen x1050 with LOD, SRH840 with heed canamp - it has beautyfull synergy, but it is definitly not portable ( and good interconnect and power cables are necessary). My good friend has similliar staff, but with 2move amp - it's doing quite good with them but not as good as Heed. X1050 is dark and warm player, with closed space, SRH840 - has precise, but small soundstage, so, I think that the ideal amp for my needs should be transparent (or maybe slightly warm) with wide sounstage and dynamic bass, but reality sometimes is cruel and theories not allways are correct, that's why I want to check opinions of the Others (every one is valuable to me)  :).

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
There is an amp-only version of the TTVJ slim, which should be more appropriate to your equipment unless you needed a USB DAC for computer-based audio as well.

I'm not familiar with your gear, but I do have the TTVJ unit and a Pico Slim on order, which I have also briefly auditioned.  The Pico is even more compact, but offhand, I do prefer the slightly warmer sound quality of the TTVJ Slim, at least with my JH13 Pros, which is what I used to audition the Pico.  My preference may change after I get my own and spend some more time with it, as it may be a good fit for the JH16 Pros.

Not sure if this is any help, I just do not feel comfortable recommending anything unless I have spent considerable time researching and listening to it.

The only reason why I went with the pico, it's overall size, it's tiny and I love it haha.  To put it into perspective the pico slim is slightly thicker than the Fuze, but the width is smaller.  It's a great tiny device.  But, if you need a DAC the TTVJ can fit both your needs.

Of course you can buy a separate DAC aswell, and they're quite a bit of them floating around.  Whether or not they're better than the TTVJ's DAC, I cannot comment.

Quote:
You mean amps, of course.  
wink_face.gif

Selecting amps is always tricky because they are in the middle of the chain.  Most people prefer neutrality in amps as well as other characteristics.  Everything begins at the source, so if your source (player) has a colored sound sig and you're not entirely happy with it, an amp may not be able to "correct" that issue.  

The most resolving, arguably one of the highest overall quality portable amp you find on the market today is the balanced RSA Protector.  So it may compliment your Sony X when driven from a LOD cable, but you may also be able to achieve better results by putting that money towards a pair of JH13 Pro customs, which can be driven directly out of the HP-out of the player and experience far better overall results than trying to amp universal-class IEMs.

There are a lot of variables to consider and none of them cheap, so there is a lot to consider.  You may want to check if there is a local Meet in your area so that you can mingle with fellow head-fiers and have a chance to audition some systems, headphones and impressions before spending a bunch of money.  Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Local Meets are always the best place to get inside info on the latest and greatest stuff, unless the headfi community where you live is small, like here in WPG, MB. 

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 22
Warp08

Beside better resolution with the RSA Protector how did its sound signature compare to TTVJ using the JH13's?

Also, after you have had a chance to do more detailed comparisons, I would really appreciate any of your thoughts on any differences between the TTVJ and Pico Slim amps with the JH 13.
I am trying to decide which one to get with the JH16,

Thanks 

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 22
There have been multiple threads of this nature so i would do a search.  I have heard both and preferred the TTVJ slim (and the Headstage Arrow), but others have liked the sound of the Pico, so in general, the sound from both are great. Just personal preference.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 22
Does either the TTVJ Slim or the Pico Slim have more power than the other?

I've currently got an iBasso D2+ that I use for portable listening with either my H340 (amp only) or my laptop (USB DAC + amp).  I find it to be a great little device with plenty of drive when using the usb input plus dac, but one issue I find when using it purely as an amp with the H340 is that I have to have the H340 volume at least 85% of the way up, turn the D2+ gain switch on and also have its volume control turned to at least 3 - 4 o'clock for my quieter albums, which feels like I must be using up a lot of battery power!  It could be that my B&W P5s are hard for a portable amp to drive (although I doubt it given they have been designed for portable use)!  The problem is a bit less pronounced with my IE8s.  However, I was thinking of upgrading the amp anyway (and I don't really need a DAC most of the time) and am attracted to the small size of the Pico Slim.  However, I don't want to buy it if it is not powerful enough for my needs!  I've read somewhere the TTVJ is more powerful so am wondering if this would be a better choice?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!  Thanks v much

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 22
The TTVJ SLim has plenty of power-- I even use it with AKG 701 and anything more than half way on the volume attenuator would blow my head off! Todd has a thirty day return policy so it is a no risk deal to try them out.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 22
Both are nice amps. I generally agree with what Warp said above. In my time with both amps, I though the TTVJ Slim was warmer than the Pico with a bit more bass In terms of quantity. I wasn't a big fan of the DAC but I really liked the amp.

My impression of the Pico Slim is that it sounds quicker and has more impact. It also seemed to resolve better. But these good qualities do come with the slight drawback of a sound that I sometimes found a bit strident. I would basically described the sound of the TTVJ as more rounded and the Slim as more angular if that's at all helpful.

I think the Pico wins on a couple of important points: volume control and form factor. The volume control is the best I've used on a portable amp. I also think Justin struck a nice balance between small size and usability. The fit & finish is superb, too. The TTVJ is well-built too, but Justin's products are in another category these days compared to similar manufacturers when it comes to attention to detail.

The good news is I don't think you can go wrong here; these are excellent amps.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
Warp08

Beside better resolution with the RSA Protector how did its sound signature compare to TTVJ using the JH13's?

Also, after you have had a chance to do more detailed comparisons, I would really appreciate any of your thoughts on any differences between the TTVJ and Pico Slim amps with the JH 13.
I am trying to decide which one to get with the JH16,

Thanks 

I cannot comment on the Pico Slim yet, because mine is still on its way from Qusp, but based on what I've heard seems to collaborate Monkey's post above.  From an overall SQ perspective, I have heard nothing better than the Protector with the TWag balanced JH16 Pros.  It's form factor is a bit odd compared to both Slims, but not too much, besides the balanced connector Ray uses itself is thicker than the standard TRS S/E socket.

As to how the JH-3A/JH16 Pro combo will change this pecking order when it finally ships, is anyone's guess, but it will be another contender for sure for the top crown, based on what little I've heard at Can Jam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back