Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
May 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #271 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be a novel idea but I really don't understand what the point of having a Pico DAC and the Slim is, as opposed to just having a one-box Pico amp/dac. The Slim can't sound that different (or better) than the original Pico (which is a great amp, even if a bit pricey). If you're into Justin's gear and looking for portability wouldn't it be a better idea to just have the original Pic/Dac? Just wonderin'....
confused_face.gif

I have both the Pico DAC/Slim and the Pico Amp/DAC combinations. When I am traveling I will always have the Pico Slim strapped to an iPod so it is actually no different to carry the Pico Dac to combine them all than it is to carry the Amp/DAC to use on the iPad.

I do not try to use the iPad as a giant iPod when I am out and about, it is only used in that manner when I am at my desk or in a hotel room. Any other times I will be using the Nano/Slim which is greatly preferred to the Nano/Pico Amp/DAC package when carrying in my pocket all day.

May 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #272 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the Pico DAC/Slim and the Pico Amp/DAC combinations. When I am traveling I will always have the Pico Slim strapped to an iPod so it is actually no different to carry the Pico Dac to combine them all than it is to carry the Amp/DAC to use on the iPad.

I do not try to use the iPad as a giant iPod when I am out and about, it is only used in that manner when I am at my desk or in a hotel room. Any other times I will be using the Nano/Slim which is greatly preferred to the Nano/Pico Amp/DAC package when carrying in my pocket all day.

I plan to do much the same, though with a MacBook Pro. It's funny to think that now I feel my (expensive at the time I bought them) TF10s are now inadequate IEMs.

May 2, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #273 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be a novel idea but I really don't understand what the point of having a Pico DAC and the Slim is, as opposed to just having a one-box Pico amp/dac. The Slim can't sound that different (or better) than the original Pico (which is a great amp, even if a bit pricey). If you're into Justin's gear and looking for portability wouldn't it be a better idea to just have the original Pic/Dac? Just wonderin'....
confused_face.gif

Like VPIvinylspinner said, the Slim is more portable and you can leave the DAC behind.

But also at CanJam I found the Slim to sound fuller and warmer sounding than the original Pico, and it suited me better. The differences were subtle but there. That missing warmth and fullness with some of my headphones was the one thing that kept the Pico with it's superior DAC from being my number one DAC/amp. It was so close to my first choice that I'd be happy if it were my only one, but when alternatives were available I found myself using them at the expense of the improved micro-detail and soundstage the Pico w/DAC offered. The differences in my top choice portable DAC amps is all very small and subtle lately, and so it's hard these days to answer "which one is best" because they all excel now.

When size isn't an issue for portable, the Pico w/DAC likely is a better choice to avoid having to carry around two pieces and a mini-mini cable, in return for more power with full size phones.

May 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #274 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny to think that now I feel my (expensive at the time I bought them) TF10s are now inadequate IEMs.

Aargh, Currawong. Do I really have to hear this? I know that there are ES3X or JH13/16s on my horizon but I keep being amazed by how much I like my Triple-fi's. Perhaps ignorance is bliss?
wink.gif

May 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #275 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
64 gb Touch and Nano will be fine. Just wanted to have something to compare that set up to. If it is better, by how much? Thanks.

Don't necessarily know how to quantify such a thing but I think the sound using a good DAC and amp instead of the stuff inside the iPod is dramatically better.

I have never held the iPod as a source to get too excited about and feel the Computer/iPad interface to outboard DAC and amp is better in every way.

May 3, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #276 of 939
I just received mine (serial #23). It's very very small... much smaller than I thought
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm feeding the Slim with AMB y2, driving a JH16 Pro. It's dead quiet with smooth & precise volume control. This is the only portable amp that I can live with. Now, I just have to wait for qusp to make a low profile LOD for my iPod.
biggrin.gif

4575848237_29ca2cb57e.jpg
4576483644_07e37b9013.jpg

May 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #277 of 939
No one have ANY high end universal iem to pair with the pico slim and give us some impressions?I am amazed by how many headfiers have jh13 and no one commented on universal iems with the slim or even the protector.I am really considering one but the price tag is high,at least for me and I want to know if there will be a great effect on iems.
HPA,I am waiting for your slim impressions as you seem like one of the few who have high end universal iems to compare with.
Thanks.

May 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #279 of 939
So in the end, i got through 3 charges on my slim, roughly 130-140 hours, and it hadnt changed. Everytime i switched from the Slim to the protector again, i enjoyed the music more. All the same things i talked about before. I was hoping that the little bit of mid bass hump would go away or that it would get a little deeper, but it didnt. Also, i found that at listening volume when i unplugged my headphones i could tell, like i couldnt hear the noise, but once it was gone i noticed, with the protector i dont even get that.

So because of all that, i decided to sell my slim, its going to a good home down in southern california though, and the proceeds will go towards me buying a Phoenix, which ive decided to purchase as a desktop amp for my jh-13's
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #280 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one have ANY high end universal iem to pair with the pico slim and give us some impressions?I am amazed by how many headfiers have jh13 and no one commented on universal iems with the slim or even the protector.I am really considering one but the price tag is high,at least for me and I want to know if there will be a great effect on iems.
HPA,I am waiting for your slim impressions as you seem like one of the few who have high end universal iems to compare with.
Thanks.

I only just unboxed my Slim about an hour ago. It sounds as good as I remember. I posted impressions in the Protector thread about the Slim demo vs Protector, and also likely posted a few thoughts here in this thread. But now I want to spend more time with it getting to know it better. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can offer impressions while I delve deeper into the amp for the next couple of days.

May 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #281 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, I just have to wait for qusp to make a low profile LOD for my iPod.
biggrin.gif

yes, well if Justin would ship mine I would have something to make it perfect with (apparently would be in the post today at some point, but nada, guess tomorrow, though I actually think i've got you covered already
biggrin.gif

check you're email in 30 mins.

@ Larry, I think we can survive without your impressions for a little bit longer
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #284 of 939
jc9394 - That is the same combo I am putting together. Is that a Micro TWag LOD? How is the overall synergy using your JH13's? I am still trying to decide which would be better (JH13 or 16) for my listening needs. I am also interested to find out if the 60-70% dial position is normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back