Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Apr 21, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #151 of 939
hmmm, wasnt expecting a turn on thump
frown.gif
and not a small one by the sounds of it either. I dislike this as generally leave my JH13 plugged in. guess i'll have to form a new habit.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #152 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm, wasnt expecting a turn on thump
frown.gif
and not a small one by the sounds of it either. I dislike this as generally leave my JH13 plugged in. guess i'll have to form a new habit.

If you turn the volume pot down before power on, will that solve the problem? Or it doesn't matter what position the volumn pot is at, any power will give you that turn on thump?

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #153 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you turn the volume pot down before power on, will that solve the problem? Or it doesn't matter what position the volume pot is at, any power will give you that turn on thump?

Even at 0 setting on the vol. pot, the pop/thump is very noticeable. I would be concerned with the tiny armatures in iems/customs suffering possible damage from the sudden power surge. Whenever I turn on the amp, I have been unplugging my iems/hp's FWIW.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #154 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused now. (Or even more confused than usual...) The feature that returns the volume to previous level is gone but the volume control has an indcator line. Does it not follow that when you turn the Pico Slim on, the volume returns to the point indicated by that volume control indicator line?

The volume level will remain at the level it was left at prior to shutting the amp off.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #155 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even at 0 setting on the vol. pot, the pop/thump is very noticeable. I would be concerned with the tiny armatures in iems/customs suffering possible damage from the sudden power surge. Whenever I turn on the amp, I have been unplugging my iems/hp's FWIW.

But then plugging and unplugging a headphone while the amp is on is not suppose to be wise either.

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #158 of 939
Don't hurt me now. A slightly off topic question.

Between the Slims (Pico/TTVJ), which of the two is better prepped to drive serious cans the likes of the HD600, nada, nada, nada?

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #159 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Between the Slims (Pico/TTVJ), which of the two is better prepped to drive serious cans the likes of the HD600, nada, nada, nada?

AFAIK, the Pico Slim was not designed to drive full size cans. That's not to say it can't but correct me if I'm wrong please guys but it's aimed at IEMs

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #160 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I simply turn the amp on before I put my items in my ears. It's a pretty easy solution.

for your ear drums, but doesn't solve the problem for the armatures in the IEM. I must add that I ordered the Pico Slim based in large part on the reputation of Justin's other products and I'm disappointed with this thump--sure didn't expect he'd release a product with this issue.

Can anyone measure the frequency of this thump? Does it have high frequency content and are high frequency armatures more sensitive like tweeters?

For those who had access to samples did this problem exist or was it masked by the slow ramp up of the volume? I understand that the volume increase could be annoyingly slow but as I understand digital volume control that should be a software problem and solved by new software, i.e., increase the speed of the ramp up.

Hope to hear from others on a possible fix, George

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #161 of 939
NVM, i'm hoping for a solution too. at least with those caps on the output its unlikely to have a DC component

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #163 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I simply turn the amp on before I put my iems in my ears. It's a pretty easy solution.

I agree with your method and that is what I have been doing. I made the statement yesterday that it didn’t bother me, but let me qualify this statement. If this thump or pop is bad for my armatures then yes it does bother me and I too would like a solution, so I fully agree with gsawdy’s statement (post # 160). I’ve been very happy with my standard Pico/DAC and this is not an issue with it, I can have my customs in my ears turn it on and the power up sound is negligible. That said, I can not have my customs on during the power up with the Slim ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For a full size headphone solution, the original Pico would be a better solution, it has both low and high gain, it drives my hd650’s (300 ohms) fine …

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #164 of 939
Just got mine, I love the form factor and the look of it! Super precise volume control, probably the most quiet portable amp I've heard and no noise when changing volume (unless you go to ear bleeding levels). Very pleased so far.
cool.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #165 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what she said?

yer momma? she did yes
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back