Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Nov 26, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #916 of 939
Hello guys. Does anyone know why when I plug in my earphones into the 3.5mm jack of the Pico Slim I hear some static noise?
Also, sometimes I need to turn the jack while it's plugged in, since the sound is extremely muffled and no bass can be heard. Sometimes, I only hear sound from one earpiece.
This all goes away after the jack stays inside the Pico for about 10 minutes or so. Any idea on why this happens and how it can be fixed? Please let me know, since it's been driving me crazy.

ionut

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #917 of 939
Hi and happy new year to all.
I bought this little amp and I must say I am surprised by the power that comes out of a machine of this size ! 
basshead.gif

I would be talking more but for now I'm delighted with my purchase!

I would like to test other amps (see DAC) to compare. Some were able to compare it  pico slim with the Oppo HA2 for example? Or Cayin C5 (he seems to have good press this one!) 
confused.gif

I'm also going to ask the question on each of these two amps forum 
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #918 of 939
  Well, I have for some time that Pico slim and I must admit that I am amazed by the power that emerges from such a small object. The stage width is not strong point but otherwise it is pretty excellent.

It's so good to read that Justin's little gem is still very much on the front pages of the portable amp forum.  So deserving.  I have had mine ever since they Pico Slim came out and it's been with me all over the world, but mostly in the gym with my iMod!  Actually, one of the sound features I have found amazing with the Pico Slim is the stereo width and separation (playing mostly classical lossless).  Maybe not so much all around sound, but some real right/left definition and calrity.  So, sorry to disagree - respectfully - but my experience is different in terms of "stage width".

As much as this little amp has travelled and been knocking around in my short's pocket, other than a little bit of wear on the charging port, this champ has held up and worked flawlessly.  Testament to Justin's remarkable talents.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #919 of 939
It's great isn't it? 

I must've got my chrome coloured first edition one about the same time as you.  Love it lots with my Sennheiser HD25/Amperior set up for running.   Works great for the Beyerdynamic T5ps - shockingly well!  The leatherette case is a bit battered but the little amp is so sweet!

Have to say, it's a bit mismatched with Ultrasone Pro900s which have a higher Ohm rating around 40, compared to 32 of the Senns.  They drive 32s comfortably but the Ultrasones, particularly for 1970's recorded classical music, I'm hearing more extraneous outside noise even at full volume for source mini-disc and amp.   

In ears are prob better than large overhead/circumaurals with higher impedances, but I've only tried it with the Sennheiser IE8s.  

Such a well designed micro portable amp!

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #920 of 939
  It's so good to read that Justin's little gem is still very much on the front pages of the portable amp forum.  So deserving.  I have had mine ever since they Pico Slim came out and it's been with me all over the world, but mostly in the gym with my iMod!  Actually, one of the sound features I have found amazing with the Pico Slim is the stereo width and separation (playing mostly classical lossless).  Maybe not so much all around sound, but some real right/left definition and calrity.  So, sorry to disagree - respectfully - but my experience is different in terms of "stage width".

As much as this little amp has travelled and been knocking around in my short's pocket, other than a little bit of wear on the charging port, this champ has held up and worked flawlessly.  Testament to Justin's remarkable talents.

That's ok, you have the right to have a different opinion than mine. After, may be it is due to my source (a Galaxy S5).
But that does not enpêche me to love and use every day

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #921 of 939
Hello guys. Does anyone know why when I plug in my earphones into the 3.5mm jack of the Pico Slim I hear some static noise?
Also, sometimes I need to turn the jack while it's plugged in, since the sound is extremely muffled and no bass can be heard. Sometimes, I only hear sound from one earpiece.
This all goes away after the jack stays inside the Pico for about 10 minutes or so. Any idea on why this happens and how it can be fixed? Please let me know, since it's been driving me crazy.

ionut

I don't own a Pico Slim, but my guess is that the headphone jack is getting worn out and is not always making good contact with the plug on your headphone. Maybe you can get the Jack replaced. Maybe you can go directly to the Headamp site and ask if you can send it in for repair.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #922 of 939

ionut

In fact, that's strange ! I dont think about a problem with the headphone jack, because the static noise as no reason to go away after somes minutes ? I think about intern electronics maybe ? But mzybe i'm wrong 

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #924 of 939
  Hello Jedaite 

So, what news with you problem? It is resolved, you sent your Pico Slim repair or you do "with" 
confused_face_2.gif

I hope this will never happen to my Pico 
frown.gif

Hey there, there's been no resolution for my problem. The static discharge when you plug in your eaprhones into the amp is normal from what I've read here and Justin (from HeadAmp, the guy who makes these) said it's normal, but that's all I remember. Idk what causes this static discharge issue, but it's a shame it's present in a $400 amp. As for the sound artifacts (missing bass, and other artifacts I have no knowledge or words to explain) it happened even with a new cable.

I just need to wiggle the cable a bit while it's inserted into the amp to fix the issue. This rarely happens now with my new Linum cable, (which features a straight 3.5mm jack), but I do have to wonder why it happens in the first place. I e-mailed Justin about it several weeks ago, but got no response. It's not an end-game issue or a deal breaker, but in some cases, especially if you have a right angle 3.5mm jack (like I did) it can easily get very annoying to keep wiggling the cable while it's inserted into the amp.

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #925 of 939
Ok, I hope you will find a solution.

To the right jack rather than angled jack,, I am not surprised because with the right jack, you will be less likely to hang the jack and thus create a problem.

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #926 of 939
  Ok, I hope you will find a solution.

To the right jack rather than angled jack,, I am not surprised because with the right jack, you will be less likely to hang the jack and thus create a problem.

Thanks, I'm not running into these issues anymore with the new Linum Bax cable but on extremely rare occasions. So it's all good at the moment :)

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #928 of 939
  Hi and happy new year to all.
I bought this little amp and I must say I am surprised by the power that comes out of a machine of this size ! 
basshead.gif

I would be talking more but for now I'm delighted with my purchase!

I would like to test other amps (see DAC) to compare. Some were able to compare it  pico slim with the Oppo HA2 for example? Or Cayin C5 (he seems to have good press this one!) 
confused.gif

I'm also going to ask the question on each of these two amps forum 
wink.gif

Power C5>>>>Slim
Soundstage C5>Slim
Clarity Slim>C5
Detail Slim>>C5
Treble and articulation slim>>C5
Bass quantity C5(w/o boost)>Slim,Detail slim>C5
Slim neutral,C5 warm.

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #930 of 939
The problem with the audio cutting out, lack of bass, right channel audio only, static issues are back. The 3.5mm audio port on the Pico slim is just poor quality. I've even brought this up to Justin, but got no reply. I've tried multiple cables, including 2 stock Westone cables and now the Linux Bax.

Does anyone know if the 3.5mm port can be removed and changed with a higher quality one? This is unacceptable for a $435 amp and makes listening to my music a pain and not a pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back