Phonak Audeo (PFE) VS UE tri fi 10 Pro VS IE 8
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

gameboy115

Headphoneus Supremus
Basically, my budget could let me buy ue tri fi 10 pro /IE8,but since I read “headphoneaddict” rating which PTE is far better than 10 Pro, it make me so confused what I should get for my next iem. Technically, 10 pro is 3 drivers IEM which seems to be ahead of PTE/ IE 8.

I like crisp, a bit warm vocal( which can touch my heart instead of ice cold sound), quality bass and good instrument separation and performance is must.

Now I am using UE 5 pro, a little muddy for me. Before that, I have been used im 716 for very little short period, cos I bought it from a headfierm, broke after a few days later. IM 716 was quite bright, I did not really like how it perfromed low, but it was detail for sure

Using Sony A728 most of time

Anyone have two of them, can make a brief comparison for me.

Thx

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 33
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me they are in the same league. It's just a matter of personal preference. And mine is reflected in the (portable) listening time these got in the mast months. PFE: 60%, IE8: 20%, TF10P: 10%. The remaining 10% were for ER4S.

Nice to know you have 3 of them. Mind sharing why you listen at PFE most.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to know you have 3 of them. Mind sharing why you listen at PFE most.

I like the PFEs (with black filters; the grey ones are just too bright for me - but others love them) and the IE8s (bass attenuator at minimal level) about the same. The PFEs to me are slightly more neutral sounding with great extension at both ends of the frequency spectrum. The Senns sound a bit fuller and lusher due to a slightly more pronounced midbass. The simple reason why the PFEs get more listening time is fit. I had to modify the IE8's double flange tips (by placing de-cored and cut-in-half Ety foamies under the first flange) in order to get a reasonable fit at all. I tried so many other tips, but either I didn't get any seal at all resulting in a lack of bass or I got overwhelming bass (like the one shown in the frequency diagram of headphone.com
smile.gif
). With the modded tips the IE8s sound very good but when walking or moving my head they don't stay firmly enough in my ears and isolation is mediocre at best. (Disclamer: I've got very wide ear canals so the fit problems described may affect only very few people). The TF10P were my favorites replacing the ER4S as the first choice but since I got the PFEs they tend to collect dust. I still reach for the ER4S when isolation is critical like in a plane.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 33
Hey Chi2. Your comparo of the IE8s and the PFEs is close to how I feel right now. When I can get the IE8s in properly, they sound very nice. But fit-wise, they are all over the map. I've started to like the W3s more (and good iso), but when I have the PFEs amped and with the black filters (after some back and forth), they sound so fine.

Still burning in the IE8s, but the iso for me is pretty bad. When I walk with them, I can hear cars and buses, so for planes and trains, not happening. I will use either the W3s or the Monster Turbines (new phones I obtained).

Edit:

I dug out a pair of biflanges I got with my RE2s, and the IE8 iso and fit is much better, plus, those tips really mesh well SQ-wise as well. Problem, solved, I think.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

I like the PFEs (with black filters; the grey ones are just too bright for me - but others love them) and the IE8s (bass attenuator at minimal level) about the same. The PFEs to me are slightly more neutral sounding with great extension at both ends of the frequency spectrum. The Senns sound a bit fuller and lusher due to a slightly more pronounced midbass. The simple reason why the PFEs get more listening time is fit. I had to modify the IE8's double flange tips (by placing de-cored and cut-in-half Ety foamies under the first flange) in order to get a reasonable fit at all. I tried so many other tips, but either I didn't get any seal at all resulting in a lack of bass or I got overwhelming bass (like the one shown in the frequency diagram of headphone.com
smile.gif
). With the modded tips the IE8s sound very good but when walking or moving my head they don't stay firmly enough in my ears and isolation is mediocre at best. (Disclamer: I've got very wide ear canals so the fit problems described may affect only very few people). The TF10P were my favorites replacing the ER4S as the first choice but since I got the PFEs they tend to collect dust. I still reach for the ER4S when isolation is critical like in a plane.

I do afraid of PFE being too bright. As I said before, I hate im716 sound sig for being so bright, overemphasizing on high end but not for low end, make the sound unbalance. Using black filters might suit me well

How is instrument performance for them? Cos I enjoy the background music as much as vocal. A good instrument performance for me is really making music alive.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Chi2. Your comparo of the IE8s and the PFEs is close to how I feel right now. When I can get the IE8s in properly, they sound very nice. But fit-wise, they are all over the map. I've started to like the W3s more (and good iso), but when I have the PFEs amped and with the black filters (after some back and forth), they sound so fine.

Still burning in the IE8s, but the iso for me is pretty bad. When I walk with them, I can hear cars and buses, so for planes and trains, not happening. I will use either the W3s or the Monster Turbines (new phones I obtained).

Hi tstarn06, I see you have T4 and E5 amp at the same time. I amnot going to invest too much money on this hobby for now. Is E5 doing fine with PFE while comparing to T4? I mean if PFE with E5 not lossing any detail while increasing quantity bass, that will be more then enough for me

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi tstarn06, I see you have T4 and E5 amp at the same time. I amnot going to invest too much money on this hobby for now. Is E5 doing fine with PFE while comparing to T4? I mean if PFE with E5 not lossing any detail while increasing quantity bass, that will be more then enough for me

I guess I have the same question.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I have the same question.

Agreed.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 33
With the E5, the PFEs definitely are not losing anything, so no reason to spend more. Just relax and enjoy the music. I found the black filters and the amp with silicone tips to be the best combo for me, like Chi2.

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Edit:
I dug out a pair of biflanges I got with my RE2s, and the IE8 iso and fit is much better, plus, those tips really mesh well SQ-wise as well. Problem, solved, I think.

Glad to hear that the fit problem is resolved, tstarn06. I wasn't too lucky with third party tips on my IE8s up to now. Even the UE single flange tips filled with de-cored Shure olives didn't convince me. They provide by far the best seal but the mid bass is somewhat bloated and the soundstage gets closed-in enough to loose the great lifelike quality.

Quote:

... I found the black filters and the amp with silicone tips to be the best combo for me, like Chi2.

I'm using different amps with them (Corda Move, Shellbrook Minihead, Penguin), but all of them are just too big and heavy. I've got a Fiio E5 on its way to me. If it doesn't convince me I guess I'm in for an iBasso T4.

I've got a second pair of PFEs fitted with the grey filters. They get very little use and mainly for listening to older or not so good recordings. For all the CDs of labels like Chesky, Stockfish or other high quality approaches, the black filters just sound great to me. No veil at all.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Glad to hear that the fit problem is resolved, tstarn06. I wasn't too lucky with third party tips on my IE8s up to now. Even the UE single flange tips filled with de-cored Shure olives didn't convince me. They provide by far the best seal but the mid bass is somewhat bloated and the soundstage gets closed-in enough to loose the great lifelike quality.

I'm using different amps with them (Corda Move, Shellbrook Minihead, Penguin), but all of them are just too big and heavy. I've got a Fiio E5 on its way to me. If it doesn't convince me I guess I'm in for an iBasso T4.

I've got a second pair of PFEs fitted with the grey filters. They get very little use and mainly for listening to older or not so good recordings. For all the CDs of labels like Chesky, Stockfish or other high quality approaches, the black filters just sound great to me. No veil at all.

I tried the UE single flange tips too (had a few sitting around), with no foam inside, and they made the IE8s way too bright to me (if you can believe it). Fit-wise, they were great, but really messed up the Senn sound. So I guess I got lucky with those old biflanges. I just need to find some more, since I only have the one pair.

Was listening to the PFEs last night with the T4 and the Touch LOD, and man, they sounded soooo nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back