Phonak Audeo PFE vs. Sennheiser IE8
Jan 31, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #61 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say ie8 have wider soundstage and funy sound than Phonak even I don't listen ie8. That's a Sennheiser standart and dynamic drivers offcourse. But more detailed, I realy doubt that.

Get em both and you can tell us your opinions
biggrin.gif

To my ears, with my sources and my music, I hear more detail coming from the IE8s. Lord knows I have put enough time into A/Bing these with the same 30 songs over and over, trying different tips, insertion angles, depth, filters, bass knob settings, etc.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #62 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say ie8 have wider soundstage and funy sound than Phonak even I don't listen ie8. That's a Sennheiser standart and dynamic drivers offcourse. But more detailed, I realy doubt that.

Yea I'm not sure if the IE8's could be more detailed than the Phonaks. Of all the dynamic based iems/canalphones I've owned/listened to they do pick up the details but never as defined across the spectrum as armatures and again their slow speed doesn't allow for all details to be audibly rendered. I will say that midbass is best represented on dynamics though.

Following your advice and a few others I've been extensively listening with the grey filters and the T130s (used the T100s before and didn;t like it). These really are something else! Three things I've noticed. Firstly, straight out the dap they are pretty loud and don't suffer distortion when the volume is cranked up like other single armatures at same vol. Secondly, these have now become seriously eq'able *especially the lower frequencies* unlike the black filters which didn;t seem to eq too well. Though to be fair with black filters I am pretty happy with their sound without EQ and only eq'd out of curiosity. Thirdly, these have become a paragon of transparent sound.

I think my journey ends here and will hope that perhaps Phonak release a filter that is just a shade darker than grey.
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #63 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get em both and you can tell us your opinions
biggrin.gif

To my ears, with my sources and my music, I hear more detail coming from the IE8s. Lord knows I have put enough time into A/Bing these with the same 30 songs over and over, trying different tips, insertion angles, depth, filters, bass knob settings, etc.

I'll have to get them to be sure but I'm satisfied, I just feel...like this opinion is wrong in some way. Clarity wise, detail wise I think the Phonaks should have won, you prefer a warmer sound so maybe that’s why....Warm or not I feel as if your ears would feel like the Phonaks have more detail period. Hmmm might have to get the IE8's I pretty much feel along with Tstarn that the Phonaks are perfect.....I find this weird...I've read threads stating that the W3's sounded better overall then the IE8's. Having heard the W3's I think the Phonaks sound better. Therefore naming them the top to me, if you ever decide you don't want your Phonaks let me know. If their black that is.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #64 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I'm not sure if the IE8's could be more detailed than the Phonaks. Of all the dynamic based iems/canalphones I've owned/listened to they do pick up the details but never as defined across the spectrum as armatures and again their slow speed doesn't allow for all details to be audibly rendered. I will say that midbass is best represented on dynamics though.

Following your advice and a few others I've been extensively listening with the grey filters and the T130s (used the T100s before and didn;t like it). These really are something else! Three things I've noticed. Firstly, straight out the dap they are pretty loud and don't suffer distortion when the volume is cranked up like other single armatures at same vol. Secondly, these have now become seriously eq'able *especially the lower frequencies* unlike the black filters which didn;t seem to eq too well. Though to be fair with black filters I am pretty happy with their sound without EQ and only eq'd out of curiosity. Thirdly, these have become a paragon of transparent sound.

I think my journey ends here and will hope that perhaps Phonak release a filter that is just a shade darker than grey.
biggrin.gif

I agree, with everything said.......try without the filters you might like. If to little bass for your taste then Eq it. Works perfect for me
darthsmile.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #65 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have to get them to be sure but I'm satisfied, I just feel...like this opinion is wrong in some way. Clarity wise, detail wise I think the Phonaks should have won, you prefer a warmer sound so maybe that’s why....Warm or not I feel as if your ears would feel like the Phonaks have more detail period. Hmmm might have to get the IE8's I pretty much feel along with Tstarn that the Phonaks are perfect.....I find this weird...I've read threads stating that the W3's sounded better overall then the IE8's. Having heard the W3's I think the Phonaks sound better. Therefore naming them the top to me, if you ever decide you don't want your Phonaks let me know. If their black that is.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, it is what my ears/brain is telling me. And just because the PFEs are BAs, does that mean that they will be clearer and more detailed? I think the PFEs have clearer vocals, but to me the highs and lows are clearer and more detailed on the IE8.

You can be happy with the PFEs and the lower cost, I will be happy with the IE8 even though they cost more
biggrin.gif

And there are threads that compare the IE8 vs. the W3, and from the poll, it seems more people prefer the IE8 (last time I looked).

Bottom line is all 3 are great, possibly the top 3 in the non-custom IEMs, and there will always be people that like one over the others. I have not heard the W3, but through reading here, I think I would like the IE8 better anyways.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #67 of 158
i've got both as of this morning. i'll post my thoughts here as well. i'll be burning in the ie8's overnight and continue to do so listening and when not in use. i have read that they open up starting at 20 hours majorly and then incrementally from there.

i also am trying out the sa6's so i'll comment on those as well.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #68 of 158
Sounds good is very personal. Just like some prefer the W3 over the PFE and others vice versa. I am sure some will prefer the ie8 over PFE and vice versa.

The bottom line is are you happy with what you have that you don't feel like upgrading. I am, even though reading more about the IE8 makes me want to try them.. but at 3x the price and no iPhone mic the decision is easy for me not to event think of IE8. My home system needs a subwoofer upgrade and all that cash can easily go into that.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #69 of 158
X2. Thought it over, and decided to keep the W3s. Don't have the heart to sell my wife's Xmas gift. After all, they aren't junk. But the PFEs are a major winner, no doubt, and will get much more play from me.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #70 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by gov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've got both as of this morning. i'll post my thoughts here as well. i'll be burning in the ie8's overnight and continue to do so listening and when not in use. i have read that they open up starting at 20 hours majorly and then incrementally from there.

i also am trying out the sa6's so i'll comment on those as well.

On the IE8 burn in, be ready for 20 hours to not be enough. It might be for you, but for me the IE8s didn't really shine until 150-175 hours. And before my experience, I read that their sound keeps changing up to around 250 hours.

And I am interested to see what others think of the 2 (not that my opinion will change).

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #71 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good is very personal. Just like some prefer the W3 over the PFE and others vice versa. I am sure some will prefer the ie8 over PFE and vice versa.

The bottom line is are you happy with what you have that you don't feel like upgrading. I am, even though reading more about the IE8 makes me want to try them.. but at 3x the price and no iPhone mic the decision is easy for me not to event think of IE8. My home system needs a subwoofer upgrade and all that cash can easily go into that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. Thought it over, and decided to keep the W3s. Don't have the heart to sell my wife's Xmas gift. After all, they aren't junk. But the PFEs are a major winner, no doubt, and will get much more play from me.

I hear both of ya! I am keeping my NE-7s which were a gift, even though the PFE is light years better. Also, I could use the PFE money for other audio equipment...toward full sized cans, Asus Xonar Essence STX, new mp3 player, etc.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #72 of 158
Quote:

On the IE8 burn in, be ready for 20 hours to not be enough. It might be for you, but for me the IE8s didn't really shine until 150-175 hours. And before my experience, I read that their sound keeps changing up to around 250 hours.

And I am interested to see what others think of the 2 (not that my opinion will change).

honestly, so far i can't imagine what these ie8's will be like if that's the case. so far one area they majorly excel is in their fullness. i'm still playing around with things but so far this is my major thought.

the pfe's are damn good but they simply can not compete with the ie8's thus far in terms of their fullness. by fullness i mean that i feel like i am listening to my speakers or full sized headphones.

i make no apologies for preferring a warm sound (not muddy mind you). if today was my last day with all three i would let the sa6's go at this point and keep the pfe's and the ie8's. if i had to keep one it would be real tough but i think the ie's would win out. mind you as i said before i'm not a real "headphone" guy but am definitely not new to what sounds good
wink.gif

that said, i'm glad this is not my last day (it's actually my first with the sa6's) since there is so much to play with.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #73 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good deal. Wonder if they will ever have them in stock again? Did you check to see if they are authorized seller (and provide a valid warranty)? Just curious, because some sites selling Klipsch very cheaply were not, same with W3s. Not that it matters much at that price, I suppose.

I didn't check to see about them being authorized, but in another thread a couple other people said they'd bought from them without any issue. So I'm not too terribly worried, especially as you said at that price.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #74 of 158
Quote:

I think you did make a good choice, but make sure you burn them in for 175+ hours before really passing judgment. 200+ hours would be better.

Did you use some specific track for the burn-in or just normal songs music?

I read that some people use some track of white-noise and something like that to do the burn-in!

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #75 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't check to see about them being authorized, but in another thread a couple other people said they'd bought from them without any issue. So I'm not too terribly worried, especially as you said at that price.

Wow Chris, $237! That's a terrific price, and way cheaper than the first time round. Anyway, I wouldn't be concerned about the seller, looks like other people had no problem. Oooh, and now we'll have the same rig again
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back