Phonak Audeo PFE vs. Sennheiser IE8
Jan 30, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #46 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I had dismissed the gray filters for some reason, but now, after reading some of these posts, and wow. Though the Minibox and the bass gain on, wow. Holly Cole never sounded so great, and she's pretty damn good. I guess I just didn't give the gray filters enough listen time. With a little EQ (sans the amp) on my phones, they really kick some butt. It is really amazing how much the filters can change the sound signature. Admittedly, the bass does recede a bit, but the amp's bass gain and the EQ on my DAPs can be used to adjust. Thanks for getting me back to the gray filters.

You'll probably find the Grey filters help with the volume issue on your clip. I don't have a clip but to enjoy a similar mid range and high end response as the Grey filters I need more volume input on my iPhone 3g with the black filters.

Give that a shot and see if it makes a difference.

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #47 of 158
Think I remember that from the short time I had the gray filters on. I just did another listening comparison with the Westones, and I am starting to think I don't need both, gift or no gift. Have to think it over, but I just can't get the same clarity (to suit my humble tastes) from the W3 as I can from the PFEs. I know Headphoneaddict thinks I am nuts. Are there any other W3 owners out there with PFEs who feel the same? I know Chi2, an early PFE fan in the original thread, said he preferred the PFEs, same with Confispec, I believe, over the Westones. Anyone else? I am starting to think I am going crazy. How is this possible? The IE8 seems to deliver a better overall sound. I guess if I was 100 percent thrilled with the W3s from the get-go, I would never have purchased the PFEs, right?

The only thing the W3s really seem to have over the PFEs is the efficiency to play loud enough no matter which DAP I use. I give up. I have to let my ears decide.

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #48 of 158
Quote:

Hope so too. The only downside I have seen on them is the burn-in time (which is not really a downside), and potential fit issues (a very few just can't get them to fit right). If they fit well, then you have no doubt made the right purchase on balance, especially if money isn't an issue.

Seems to have a rolled off treble too. That's the biggest issue I worry about with them. While there will always be those that defend this and say it's got plenty of treble, it's been mentioned too many times to not be an issue. Soooo hard to get good treble extension in IEMs I guess.

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #49 of 158
Quote:

I know Headphoneaddict thinks I am nuts.

He thinks anyone that doesn't LOVE the W3s over all other IEMs is nuts
tongue.gif
(kidding) - I think they suit him perfectly, but others have felt differently, so it's gotta be about taste. You're not nuts
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #50 of 158
I was beginning to wonder, but I know that to be the case (not nuts). I just can't seem to love the W3s like I do the PFEs. And there is a reason for it...the music. I guess that makes me lucky, cause I can sell the W3s and be happy with the PFEs, since I am not gonna get the IE8s and find the treble isn't what I like (though Average_Joe seems to think it's pretty good) or they don't fit well and have to sell them too (that would really suck). Enough already. Think of all the things $300 could buy...new sneakers, a new racquetball racquet, music, a couple of Blu-Ray DVDs, etc. Oh, and a backup pair of PFEs in black for my Touch (the iPhone version). Hmmm.

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #51 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to have a rolled off treble too. That's the biggest issue I worry about with them. While there will always be those that defend this and say it's got plenty of treble, it's been mentioned too many times to not be an issue. Soooo hard to get good treble extension in IEMs I guess.

I don't see ER4 listed as your current monitors but you have owned them?

If you were to compare ER4 to PA , I think you would be pleased with the HF response with the PA. This seems to be a worry for you. This issue of HF extension is very important to me.

For me, the ER4 is no slouch with HF but the PA do it better. Seemingly higher extension. Quite a bit better airyness and effortless HF detail is what I hear with the Phonak.

You mentioned in another reply that you fear a dark sound(from IE8?) as it might compare to HD 650. The PA is not like HD 650 in this regard. I like my modded HD 650 as is with no EQ/processing but I'm able to transform them with my Aphex 204. At that point the HD 650 becomes a much brighter HP with a perceived increase in detail...at this point they are close to the Phonaks. I know that comparing full size cans to IEMs is difficult. I do love the bigger sound stage with HD 650 but I'd be lying if I claim they have more detail than the Phonaks.To my ears, IEMs do give up the spatial advantage compared to full size but excel at fine detail, which is what I crave. I do prefer the Grey filters with the Phonaks which are quite different than the Black.

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #52 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see ER4 listed as your current monitors but you have owned them?

If you were to compare ER4 to PA , I think you would be pleased with the HF response with the PA. This seems to be a worry for you. This issue of HF extension is very important to me.

For me, the ER4 is no slouch with HF but the PA do it better. Seemingly higher extension. Quite a bit better airyness and effortless HF detail is what I hear with the Phonak.

You mentioned in another reply that you fear a dark sound(from IE8?) as it might compare to HD 650. The PA is not like HD 650 in this regard. I like my modded HD 650 as is with no EQ/processing but I'm able to transform them with my Aphex 204. At that point the HD 650 becomes a much brighter HP with a perceived increase in detail...at this point they are close to the Phonaks. I know that comparing full size cans to IEMs is difficult. I do love the bigger sound stage with HD 650 but I'd be lying if I claim they have more detail than the Phonaks.To my ears, IEMs do give up the spatial advantage compared to full size but excel at fine detail, which is what I crave. I do prefer the Grey filters with the Phonaks which are quite different than the Black.

Yes. I've owned the Ety's for quite awhile until they broke
frown.gif
- they were a perfect compliment to the Shure E500s (polar opposites), but I would have kept them. The Phonaks seem to be what I am looking for indeed from everything that I've read.

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #53 of 158
Quote:

Think I remember that from the short time I had the gray filters on. I just did another listening comparison with the Westones, and I am starting to think I don't need both, gift or no gift. Have to think it over, but I just can't get the same clarity (to suit my humble tastes) from the W3 as I can from the PFEs. I know Headphoneaddict thinks I am nuts. Are there any other W3 owners out there with PFEs who feel the same? I know Chi2, an early PFE fan in the original thread, said he preferred the PFEs, same with Confispec, I believe, over the Westones. Anyone else? I am starting to think I am going crazy. How is this possible? The IE8 seems to deliver a better overall sound. I guess if I was 100 percent thrilled with the W3s from the get-go, I would never have purchased the PFEs, right?

The only thing the W3s really seem to have over the PFEs is the efficiency to play loud enough no matter which DAP I use. I give up. I have to let my ears decide.

No your not crazy I do indeed prefer the Phonak's over the W3's. The bass on the W3's just seems to withhold some of the clarity. I really don't want to Eq a phone I just brought in search of perfection either. Everyone agreed on Average_Joe's comparison I for one don't. I don't own the IE8's but to me the test was not fair. How I would want to even the playing field would probably not have appalled to Joe at all. The grey filters limit the Phonak's to a certain extent, the black filters even more. Both limit the quality, clarity, details, the true sound quality shines thru, without the filters I promise. You will receive more detail in the overall spectrum. I think you should try again with the filters off if you still don't like a warmer sound signature is what you truly prefer.

(By the way im not saying the filters are bad at all. The black serves as more bass and highs, and the grey as the mids. Try without the filters and see do you hear more detail and LOUDNESS.)

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #54 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. I was suprised based on your review and ratings that you said the IE8s are worth almost twice the price of the Phonaks.

I really don't know if I could consider another dark IEM after owning the E500. While I think the HD650 is a nice sounding headphone, it was boring to me and not my taste at all, and it sounds like the IE8 has a similar kind of sound to it. I'm still thinking the Phonaks are more to my taste. I'm into accuracy more than being sucked in by heavy bass. I do like the instrument placement accuracy though that you and others have mentioned. But highs are sooo important for my tastes. Now we need an ety ER4s vs Phonak comparison. The W3s hold no intereste to me anymore.

Maybe I didn't explain the IE8 properly...it is not dark. It started that way, but with extensive burn in, the treble has really come out. Not all the way to the PFE level, but close. Now the sound is balanced and fun. I am actually preferring the IE8 to the PFE on my Fuze as well as my Icon Mobile via computer.

And they are not bass heavy (at least with the bass knob all the way down), but they do have strong, punchy, full, accurate bass. And I do think the IE8s are more detailed, have better instrument placement, and a wider soundstage.

But also, the PFE is a very good IEM, and if you never hear the glory of a burned in IE8, I think the PFE is exceptional, especially for the price.

You can also read the IE8 threads that talk about lack of treble, and later the same poster talks about the treble coming out (exactly like I experienced).

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #55 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just purchased the Ie8, thank you to everyone for informations, advices and patience!
biggrin.gif

I hope i did a good choice!

I think you did make a good choice, but make sure you burn them in for 175+ hours before really passing judgment. 200+ hours would be better.

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #56 of 158
Quote:

I was beginning to wonder, but I know that to be the case (not nuts). I just can't seem to love the W3s like I do the PFEs. And there is a reason for it...the music. I guess that makes me lucky, cause I can sell the W3s and be happy with the PFEs, since I am not gonna get the IE8s and find the treble isn't what I like (though Average_Joe seems to think it's pretty good) or they don't fit well and have to sell them too (that would really suck). Enough already. Think of all the things $300 could buy...new sneakers, a new racquetball racquet, music, a couple of Blu-Ray DVDs, etc. Oh, and a backup pair of PFEs in black for my Touch (the iPhone version). Hmmm.

Well, I am in a similar situation...do I really need the PFEs and the IE8s? I am trying to think of when I would use the PFEs now that the IE8s are blossoming. I guess I will take this weekend to think it over. I really like the PFEs, and if it weren't for the IE8s, I would be satisfied with them.

Honestly, I am surprised that the IE8s sound more detailed and instruments sound more natural than the PFE with all that I have read about it before purchase.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #57 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I didn't explain the IE8 properly...it is not dark. It started that way, but with extensive burn in, the treble has really come out. Not all the way to the PFE level, but close. Now the sound is balanced and fun. I am actually preferring the IE8 to the PFE on my Fuze as well as my Icon Mobile via computer.

And they are not bass heavy (at least with the bass knob all the way down), but they do have strong, punchy, full, accurate bass. And I do think the IE8s are more detailed, have better instrument placement, and a wider soundstage.

But also, the PFE is a very good IEM, and if you never hear the glory of a burned in IE8, I think the PFE is exceptional, especially for the price.

You can also read the IE8 threads that talk about lack of treble, and later the same poster talks about the treble coming out (exactly like I experienced).

I think dynamic drivers are better - that seems to be the ticket for IEMs. I'm suprised they aren't used more often.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #58 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am in a similar situation...do I really need the PFEs and the IE8s? I am trying to think of when I would use the PFEs now that the IE8s are blossoming. I guess I will take this weekend to think it over. I really like the PFEs, and if it weren't for the IE8s, I would be satisfied with them.

Honestly, I am surprised that the IE8s sound more detailed and instruments sound more natural than the PFE with all that I have read about it before purchase.

So your not going to test without the filters......?
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #59 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No your not crazy I do indeed prefer the Phonak's over the W3's. The bass on the W3's just seems to withhold some of the clarity. I really don't want to Eq a phone I just brought in search of perfection either. Everyone agreed on Average_Joe's comparison I for one don't. I don't own the IE8's but to me the test was not fair. How I would want to even the playing field would probably not have appalled to Joe at all. The grey filters limit the Phonak's to a certain extent, the black filters even more. Both limit the quality, clarity, details, the true sound quality shines thru, without the filters I promise. You will receive more detail in the overall spectrum. I think you should try again with the filters off if you still don't like a warmer sound signature is what you truly prefer.

(By the way im not saying the filters are bad at all. The black serves as more bass and highs, and the grey as the mids. Try without the filters and see do you hear more detail and LOUDNESS.)

Trying with the filters off now...wow, the treble quantity, are my ears bleeding? Seriously, I do not like the sound sig at all. And not sure if I just need to get used to it or what, but the bass doesn't sound as controlled, sounds kind of sloppy to me.

Yes, the soundstage is a little wider, guitars sound better, and I do notice more mid/treble detail. But I have to crank it to get the bass response I am looking for (and used to with the black filters), and when I do, to me, it throws the highs out of whack. And the bass does sound less controlled on both Hotel California, Flo Rida - Low, and various electronic favorites with a lot of bass.

My overall rating with the grey and black filters is about the same, without filters it rates a fair amount lower to me.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #60 of 158
I can say ie8 have wider soundstage and funy sound than Phonak even I don't listen ie8. That's a Sennheiser standart and dynamic drivers offcourse. But more detailed, I realy doubt that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back