Phonak Audeo PFE vs. Sennheiser IE8
Jan 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #31 of 158
The Phonak being this good that it is compared to the top of the line IEM by a company that has been making earphones for years is saying something.

This is Phonak's first earphone. Sennheiser is one of the leaders in this field. It is just amazing that this comparison is even taking place that too with such a huge difference in price.

$139 to $250 is still quite a margin. You can pay a little more and get two Phonak PFE for the price of one ie8 in the UK. In US prices the ratio is even worse.

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #32 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered the IE8's back on Jan 11 of this month from advancedmp3players. Received an email that they had shipped this past Monday. I used a code word and was able to order them for $236.00 US shipped. As I recall, the discount code was good through the end of January, but ya better hurry! (Good Luck!)
wink.gif

(Another thread list the code, sorry, I can't recall it).

Out of Stock
frown.gif

They cost 226 GBP = $322 USD (without S&H).

Still almost $200 more than the PFEs...or a good portable amp...or another set of high-end IEMs.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #33 of 158
OK, so listening with the grey filters the PFE presentation is more forward and brighter, but with the Comply tips the highs aren't harsh. I only used Hotel California as a comparison, as I have limited time right now. When I A/B on my Fuze, the PFEs make the IE8s sound dark, and the IE8s make the PFE sound bass lacking.

When using my Icon Mobile, the IE8s still sound noticeably better than the PFE. But the PFE does sound better than with the Fuze, as it sounds more balanced (less treble/more bass). But again the IE8 is still more detailed and has a much wider soundstage and is more 'fun' and involving to me.

The grey filters do give a larger soundstage than the black filters, and more detail, but the IE8s still have more detail. I think the grey filters also smooth out the highs compared to the black filters, but need more listening time to truly tell. I will update the initial review when I get a chance.

The grey filters do give the PFE extra life for me, as when I initially used them it was with the silicon tips, and the combo with the black filters sounded too bright/harsh for me.

The grey filters make me want to adjust the value rating
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #34 of 158
@average joe grey filters show their magic with perfect fit and isolation. I only reach that sound after one week. If you can't fit your Phonak correctly, bass is slighlty lacking and trebles are tooths set on edge. Medium silicones works for me. Bass is tight and higs are amazing.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #36 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@average joe grey filters show their magic with perfect fit and isolation. I only reach that sound after one week. If you can't fit your Phonak correctly, bass is slighlty lacking and trebles are tooths set on edge. Medium silicones works for me. Bass is tight and higs are amazing.

I know I have a very good fit with the Complys, these are not bass lacking with the black filter, but with the grey filter, the bass is recessed to me compared to the mids and highs. As I stated in my comparison, the bass is almost on par with the IE8 with the black filters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey average_joe thanks so much for the excellent review and also being open to trying again with the grey filters.

No problem...I will try anything to get the best sound (well, almost anything
tongue_smile.gif
). And to be fair, I never tried the grey filters with the Comply tips until today, and I am not disappointed, but I still prefer the IE8 sound sig.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #37 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem...I will try anything to get the best sound (well, almost anything
tongue_smile.gif
). And to be fair, I never tried the grey filters with the Comply tips until today, and I am not disappointed, but I still prefer the IE8 sound sig.

No doubt. But if the grey filters made the PFE stand a little bit better against the ie8 then it keeps my wallet happy.
icon10.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #38 of 158
Thanks for the review. I was suprised based on your review and ratings that you said the IE8s are worth almost twice the price of the Phonaks.

I really don't know if I could consider another dark IEM after owning the E500. While I think the HD650 is a nice sounding headphone, it was boring to me and not my taste at all, and it sounds like the IE8 has a similar kind of sound to it. I'm still thinking the Phonaks are more to my taste. I'm into accuracy more than being sucked in by heavy bass. I do like the instrument placement accuracy though that you and others have mentioned. But highs are sooo important for my tastes. Now we need an ety ER4s vs Phonak comparison. The W3s hold no intereste to me anymore.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #39 of 158
Quote:

No doubt. But if the grey filters made the PFE stand a little bit better against the ie8 then it keeps my wallet happy.
icon10.gif

In some ways it improved, but in other ways it regressed...

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #40 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. I was suprised based on your review and ratings that you said the IE8s are worth almost twice the price of the Phonaks.

I really don't know if I could consider another dark IEM after owning the E500. While I think the HD650 is a nice sounding headphone, it was boring to me and not my taste at all, and it sounds like the IE8 has a similar kind of sound to it. I'm still thinking the Phonaks are more to my taste. I'm into accuracy more than being sucked in by heavy bass. I do like the instrument placement accuracy though that you and others have mentioned. But highs are sooo important for my tastes. Now we need an ety ER4s vs Phonak comparison. The W3s hold no intereste to me anymore.

Haven't seen any extensive ER4P v. PFE comparisons yet, but there have been a couple of posters who favored the PFEs over their Etys in a head to head. One of them, Great Dane, is keeping his ER4Ps for very specific listening, but on balance prefers the PFEs (it's in the post dubbed ER4P...PFE...ER4P. Of course, that post was started by someone who sold his Etys, bought the PFEs, sold the PFEs, and rebought the Etys). Doh!

I owned the ER4Ps once upon a time, and even with the S cable and an amp, I just found them great on details but something was lacking. I don't get that feeling with the PFEs. Oddly, I sold off the Etys to buy the Atrios, which I sold to buy the SA6...on and on and on. I guess I am somewhat of a FOTM fool, but that's just my need for trying new things and the thrill of the hunt. Having said that, I really haven't hit a sweet spot like I have with the PFEs before. Through all the purchases and trials, there usually was one thing or another (not enough treble/mids, durability, microphonics, comfort, etc.) that made the purchase imperfect. The Phonaks meet all those criteria, which is saying something for a $135 phone.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #41 of 158
Nice review!! Thanks!

I'm burning-in my IE8 in my ears, as I wanted to hear to difference myself.
I m guessing it's on around 130 hours and I can hear it getting better everytime I put it on. At least to me, its amazing!

But imh, the PFE has exellent value. Its amazing of the performance it offers.

otto

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #43 of 158
Quote:

icon10.gif

Okay, I had dismissed the gray filters for some reason, but now, after reading some of these posts, and wow. Though the Minibox and the bass gain on, wow. Holly Cole never sounded so great, and she's pretty damn good. I guess I just didn't give the gray filters enough listen time. With a little EQ (sans the amp) on my phones, they really kick some butt. It is really amazing how much the filters can change the sound signature. Admittedly, the bass does recede a bit, but the amp's bass gain and the EQ on my DAPs can be used to adjust. Thanks for getting me back to the gray filters.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #44 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just purchased the Ie8, thank you to everyone for informations, advices and patience!
biggrin.gif

I hope i did a good choice!

Hope so too. The only downside I have seen on them is the burn-in time (which is not really a downside), and potential fit issues (a very few just can't get them to fit right). If they fit well, then you have no doubt made the right purchase on balance, especially if money isn't an issue.

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #45 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope so too. The only downside I have seen on them is the burn-in time (which is not really a downside), and potential fit issues (a very few just can't get them to fit right). If they fit well, then you have no doubt made the right purchase on balance, especially if money isn't an issue.

Yes for that reason I bought the comply T400 too!
I read that it could fix fitting's problems!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back