Phonak Audeo PFE vs. Sennheiser IE8
Feb 1, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #91 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways, glad most of you are enjoying my comparison
icon10.gif

Absolutely!!!! You did a fantastic job reviewing both phones. And from what I've gathered so far (correct me if I'm wrong), but you seem to prefer the IE8 by a small margin, due to the bigger soundstage and fullness that it delivers. I do love the soundstage! And I don't mind sacrificing a little detail for the extras that the IE8 has. Nice work
smile.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #93 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes we have to do this. We can't buy every equipment in the world. Still we can try to understand how their sounds are. That's why are we here. Brainstorm but not arguing. 'Shot up your mouth if you haven't one!' I think this is not so nice, is in't it?

You missed the point. What I meant is how can you say something "definitive" about a phone if you haven't heard it yourself (other than, "It has an L-plug, etc.). No one says you have to buy everything, but making comments as if they are fact when you haven't even heard a piece of gear is not helpful. Heck, making comments as if they are fact even if you do own the gear is dubious.

We all buy things based on the views of others, but in my case, I at least hope the person making the comment has heard any piece of gear he/she is touting.

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #94 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You missed the point. What I meant is how can you say something "definitive" about a phone if you haven't heard it yourself (other than, "It has an L-plug, etc.). No one says you have to buy everything, but making comments as if they are fact when you haven't even heard a piece of gear is not helpful. Heck, making comments as if they are fact even if you do own the gear is dubious.

We all buy things based on the views of others, but in my case, I at least hope the person making the comment has heard any piece of gear he/she is touting.

Totally agree with this reasoning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06
Great Dane, what combo of filters and tips do you use? I just can't seem to get happy with the grays, and keep gravitating back to the blacks. I guess I will keep comparing/listening, as I want to get the most from the PFEs.

I'm using Grey filters with the Phonak medium silicone. I have briefly experimented with ety black foam and bi-flange but I didn't spend enough time for any conclusive preference with those. I want to try Shure yellow foams because I have a few left over from my E4 days. I even tried Marshmallows tips, they sounded OK and had serious isolation but then they got stuck in my ears so I won't be doing that again.

The silicone tips work great for me, nothing to complain about so I'll probably stay with those. I tend to prefer silicone tips for their longevity and ease of cleaning/low maintenance. I do use foam tips with my ER6 because I use them for sleeping and the bi-flange silicone aren't comfortable enough for lying down for that long.

I have used the Comply tips that are included with the PFE. They work for me but I prefer the silicone.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #95 of 158
Interesting. I have a ton of those Shure yellow tips, but can't seem to get them into the PFE sound tube. I like those tips, despite their gross color after a few days of use. I might try another wrestling session to get them on.

I am back to the black filters with the medium silicones. On this one, I am with Chi2, as he also went back and forth and settled on the black filters. Seems like musical tastes can also affect choice of filters.

That's another plus of the PFEs, the customization options. Something like the Sleek modular system, but much less to deal with, and a much sturdier IEM from the get-go.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #96 of 158
Quote:

Interesting. I have a ton of those Shure yellow tips, but can't seem to get them into the PFE sound tube. I like those tips, despite their gross color after a few days of use. I might try another wrestling session to get them on.

I am back to the black filters with the medium silicones. On this one, I am with Chi2, as he also went back and forth and settled on the black filters. Seems like musical tastes can also affect choice of filters.

That's another plus of the PFEs, the customization options. Something like the Sleek modular system, but much less to deal with, and a much sturdier IEM from the get-go.

I haven't had shures in a couple years, but the yellow foamies have the little plastic tube in the middle? you should be able to stretch it out if you take a really narrow paintbrush or skewer. Something that gradually gets larger, and stretch it so it would fit over the pfe tube. Or you could take a lighter and warm up the foamie tube and then stretch it over the pfe

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #97 of 158
Quote:

Not even tempted to try the Phonaks, just for kicks (or as a backup IEM)?
They do play very well with the Touch 2G.

But I'm dumping the Touch as soon as the Sony is released
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #98 of 158
Quote:

Not even tempted to try the Phonaks, just for kicks (or as a backup IEM)? They do play very well with the Touch 2G.

Did you address me?

Anyway ... in november I bought the IE8 as a backup IEM for the SE530. But their rols have switched somehow.
wink.gif
Thought about ít again and yes, I think will try to sell the SE530 as soon as possible and then buy the Phonak instead. I really want to own two very good IEMs, you never know what happens ...

...but, only to be sure, the Phonaks are better than SE530? (just kidding, I'm pretty sure that's the case)

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #100 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by zardos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you address me?

Anyway ... in november I bought the IE8 as a backup IEM for the SE530. But their rols have switched somehow.
wink.gif
Thought about ít again and yes, I think will try to sell the SE530 as soon as possible and then buy the Phonak instead. I really want to own two very good IEMs, you never know what happens ...

...but, only to be sure, the Phonaks are better than SE530? (just kidding, I'm pretty sure that's the case)

No, that was for Sooz.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #101 of 158
Quote:

Did you address me?

wink.gif

Can't help you on that one, never owned the 530s. But I doubt the PFEs will disappoint. I am with you about owning two "go-to" IEMs.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #102 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol you got ripped dude, i know a wholesaler/online store in AUstralia selling em for about $240AUD.

Where? I have looked everywhere.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #103 of 158
Quote:

Im so confused now. How can these beat a triple drive B/A when they are only songle B/A it just doesnt seem possible, if you only need a single B/A then why would the like of Westone, UE and Shure all have gone Double and Triple drivers? somthing just doesnt seem right how these are so cheap and single driver yet people saying they rival some of the top IEM's. Can someone clarify this for me?

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #104 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol you got ripped dude, i know a wholesaler/online store in AUstralia selling em for about $240AUD.

hi, I'm in australia, where do you get IE8 for 240AUD? MIght end up selling my IE7 if I can get that price though.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #105 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely!!!! You did a fantastic job reviewing both phones. And from what I've gathered so far (correct me if I'm wrong), but you seem to prefer the IE8 by a small margin, due to the bigger soundstage and fullness that it delivers. I do love the soundstage! And I don't mind sacrificing a little detail for the extras that the IE8 has. Nice work
smile.gif

Thanks
tongue.gif
Yes, I prefer the IE8s most of the time (probably 95% if I had to quantify it). The PFEs do sound very good with the grey filters and EQed, so if I didn't have the IE8, I would probably run that setup. I prefer them because of the soundstage, fullness that makes the music more fun to me, and to my ears I can hear all the same details in the IE8s as with the PFEs with the grey filter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MythNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im so confused now. How can these beat a triple drive B/A when they are only songle B/A it just doesnt seem possible, if you only need a single B/A then why would the like of Westone, UE and Shure all have gone Double and Triple drivers? somthing just doesnt seem right how these are so cheap and single driver yet people saying they rival some of the top IEM's. Can someone clarify this for me?

I think it might be different technology (BA drive mounted on its side), check out this review if you haven't seen it: Phonak Audéo PFE (Perfect Fit Earphone) Review and this post.

I have not heard the W3 or 530, and may never hear them, but there are no set absolutes in the engineering world. People have questioned me saying a dynamic driver (IE8) is as detailed as the PFE. Maybe I need a better source, maybe it is my ears, but that is what I hear.

The links will probably help you more than my answer, but think of it this way, isn't this a great world where one of the top 5 IEMs is $150 or less! And it doesn't really matter why it works, just that it creates beautiful music to your ears
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back