Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Sep 10, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #1,786 of 3,305
Just got some Shure triple-flange tips today, and when I put them on the PFEs the sound and isolation improved noticeably. I trimmed about 3mm from the back of each tip to move the driver closer to the ear, and also removed the third flange to make them fit better. The PFEs seem to have noticeably more (and deeper) bass with these new tips compared with the Comply medium foams that came with the PFEs...and this is with the gray filters installed, so no clarity or detail is lost.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #1,787 of 3,305
Well, I think I'll be going back to the PFEs after all. Yes, that is right.
I now have an amp, and I finished making my LOD minutes ago. The bass with the LOD is sickening on my atrios, so I guess the 1st gen iPod Touch headphone out is a bit on the bright side. That is good news for the PFEs coming back, and with the new casing and cable these could be perfect after all.
My atrios also happen to be going in for replacement, and I will be getting an iPhone shortly. The mic makes these seem an even better option.
I sure can't wait for the v2 mic to come out.
EDIT: Why no price drop on the mic version? The first time I got them, I got the mic version in the normal version box, and paid for the normal version. Too bad I had no use for the mic then
wink.gif

Oh well, I guess I'd be paying that much for a bluetooth headset anyways.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #1,788 of 3,305
Received my pair this morning, 3 days after ordering.
First impressions, not bad at all. Setup in my sig. Coming from the X10`s I would say they are clearer alround. Joanna Newsom`s The book is right on sounds heavenly as I thought it would/always does. What I would say is they are the first pair of IEMs that I have used so far that can handle All Angels Sancte Deus without "losing it completely" when it comes to the complex vocal/string arrangement near the end.
Bass is there, not as powerful as the X10`s and nowhere near the Denon`s but precise and evident when listening to the Prodigy. Radioheads Jigsaw falling into place also sounds immaculate. As I said I only received them hours ago, used both filters and even no filters. Call me a freak but I am not using them as they should, over ear. I hate over ear soo have them upside down and shoved in. Great seal and personally think they have alot of potential to be my most favourite iem yet when I get more used to the way they sound.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #1,789 of 3,305
I tryed my pfe with my new Little Dot mk2 tube amp. And I have to say this earphone has an incredible driver. Even at max volume, everything fine and wery detailed. There is no any distortion or humb. I can compare it with my Beyerdynamic Dt880 2005 ed. as detail level. Beyer is a headphone and has much more punch and soundstage offcourse. But Phonak's basses sound more refined and controlled to me. Mids are definately better than Beyer. Highs are not harshfull as Beyers do. Well done Phonak!

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #1,790 of 3,305
Currently the Audéo is my preferred earphone for on the go. I'm constantly rotating between Audéo, modified ER-4P, IE 8 and HD 238, though. The latter two need heavy bass decrease for being enjoyable. Audéo and ER-4P can cope without equalizing, but for perfectioning the sound a little correction is beneficial (and easy to apply thanks to the iAudio 7's semi-parametric equalizer).

The Audéo is certainly the one with the best price/performance ratio. And maybe with the most natural presentation (especially vocals) among the IEMs.

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #1,791 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tryed my pfe with my new Little Dot mk2 tube amp. And I have to say this earphone has an incredible driver. Even at max volume, everything fine and wery detailed. There is no any distortion or humb. I can compare it with my Beyerdynamic Dt880 2005 ed. as detail level. Beyer is a headphone and has much more punch and soundstage offcourse. But Phonak's basses sound more refined and controlled to me. Mids are definately better than Beyer. Highs are not harshfull as Beyers do. Well done Phonak!

Same here
beerchug.gif

I used to run my DT880 unamped but the PFEs were clearly better unamped. Better bass control as you say and much softer treble. Much faster too. I found the Beyer's mids more neutral but that was against the PFEs with grey filters.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #1,793 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by zervis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rev2 released. anybody got it? any details?

Where did you hear this?

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #1,795 of 3,305
Sep 28, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #1,797 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by zervis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh. my bad. didn't read this -_-'

thats ok. we all want for the new model.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #1,798 of 3,305
I expected to get the 'new' PFEs by the mid of October. So, just another few more weeks to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #1,799 of 3,305
I heard a release date of "end of September" anyone receive any news. Mine are cracked and I'm waiting on a revision for replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back