Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Oct 1, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #1,801 of 3,305
How long have they been promising a new model? My white PFEs have a crack and I have to clean and wipe it regularly to keep the dirt/dust from piling up.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #1,802 of 3,305
Agreed. The custom IEMs are the 'final destination' or end of the IEMs road
smily_headphones1.gif

I really looking forward to try the 'new' PFEs with custom sleeves/tips which are now attached to the UM3Xs. I pretty sure, the custom sleeves may tame down the 'brightness', and enhance the bass of the PFEs, but, just wait and see.
smily_headphones1.gif
If I like it, I may order another custom sleeves just for PFEs.
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried IE8s briefly, and they are NOT the most comfortable IEMs/buds. To my ears, by default, the PFEs are more comfortable, and the UM3Xs are the MOST comfortable, a bit better than PFEs just a small margin.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #1,803 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. The custom IEMs are the 'final destination' or end of the IEMs road
smily_headphones1.gif

I really looking forward to try the 'new' PFEs with custom sleeves/tips which are now attached to the UM3Xs. I pretty sure, the custom sleeves may tame down the 'brightness', and enhance the bass of the PFEs, but, just wait and see.
smily_headphones1.gif
If I like it, I may order another custom sleeves just for PFEs.
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried IE8s briefly, and they are NOT the most comfortable IEMs/buds. To my ears, by default, the PFEs are more comfortable, and the UM3Xs are the MOST comfortable, a bit better than PFEs just a small margin.

If you consider the PFE's to be "bright" than you should try the black filter. If you already have than I don't know what to tell you.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #1,804 of 3,305
I ttried the black filters, and there were not my taste.
smily_headphones1.gif
The PFEs strength is it's analytical and 'brighter' sound, and I prefer the gray filters + silicone tips and I still need the 'brightness' too. TBH, the custom sleeves do change sound signature, at least for the UM3Xs, and that's why I am hoping the custom sleeves also can bring the 'magic' to PFEs (grey filters) too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #1,805 of 3,305
Good point. I too find myself looking for a sound sig somewhere between the grey and black filters.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #1,806 of 3,305
Exactly
smily_headphones1.gif

I will post some more PFEs' with several tips' type reviews, when I got it in few weeks time. BTW, I am enjoying the PFEs ampped, by the D10.

Thank you.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #1,807 of 3,305
Comparing them with the RE0s made me realize the flaws of the PFEs. They're way too veiled with the black filters on, with the mids being recessed (almost a V shape). The mids are almost on par with the grey filters on but they sound somewhat too thin, not as realistic as the RE0s. EQing the low mids can fix a part of the problem. I just wish Phonak made a more expensive IEM with a more balanced signature. Otherwise they're a big step up from the RE0s.

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #1,808 of 3,305
hi mobbaddict, i have the PFE driven by my Fuze+T4-E5 (daisy chained with T4 connecting to Fuze HP Out then the PFE to Fiio E5). I'll post pic later if I have the time. does the RE0 sound better for you than the PFE? My PFE amped as above sounds very good. This is my first real IEM and hoping to hear more in the future. Thanks.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #1,809 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrazmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi mobbaddict, i have the PFE driven by my Fuze+T4-E5 (daisy chained with T4 connecting to Fuze HP Out then the PFE to Fiio E5). I'll post pic later if I have the time. does the RE0 sound better for you than the PFE? My PFE amped as above sounds very good. This is my first real IEM and hoping to hear more in the future. Thanks.

Hi
both work well with the E5's bass boost, as long as the source is good (which is not always the case with my Clip, but maybe it's my E5 that doesn't work too well).
I haven't decided which one i'll keep yet but i think i prefer the PFEs overall. They do a lot of things better than the RE0s: large and airy soundstage, more detail, they're faster, slightly deeper bass, slightly emphasized treble.
What the RE0s have on the other hand is their marvelous dead neutral mids and their more realistic tonality. But i think you can fill the gap by EQing the PFEs. To me it's not worth changing but keep in mind they don't have exactly the same signature, the PFEs are definitely more airy.

edit: i must say i only liked the RE0s with the silicone tips, with the biflanges they sounded very thin to my ears, making the PFEs almost sound like a warm IEM.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #1,810 of 3,305
Dear Mr. Brownie,

We are waiting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #1,811 of 3,305
Someone here suggested putting the Comply tips on backwards and I must say it works nicely. So thanks to that someone.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #1,812 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats ok. we all want for the new model.

and are still waiting...................

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #1,813 of 3,305
I haven't been here in a while but my PFE's right cable ripped and some of the line is exposed. I did email them and they said there's a new model coming in by the end of the month, which you guys seem to already know about
wink.gif
. I'm excited to see how this is going to work. I lost my medium tips so if they gave me a whole new set of everything that'd be awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back