Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Nov 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2,897 of 3,308
I just recently got my Grey filters and holy cow, first thing I notice instrument separation is very noticeable, very impressive for single-BA iem like this. It never sounds too narrow nor congested but more spacious than the green filter's....Wow, spatial location is really good on these. Cleanest sounding earphone I've had. I wonder how cleaner the Etymotic's ER4s compared to these.

Overall sound, I could say it could be...an analytic signature as I feel I should agree with ClieOs's opinion that these fall into analytic category, Bass sounds incredibly clean and still retain some punch although they lack of rumble. Should these bass be called "tight"?Treble? Great.They're bright but not peaky nor fatiguing.Thank God both green and grey filter never introduce harsh cymbals which I hate. These remind me of FXT90 which emphasizes instrument's clarity but  PFE022 is vastly smoother than those. Combined with high-isolating shure's olive tips, these earphones.....are just flawless. Very satisfied with my PFE022. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #2,898 of 3,308
I just recently got my Grey filters and holy cow, first thing I notice instrument separation is very noticeable, very impressive for single-BA iem like this. It never sounds too narrow nor congested but more spacious than the green filter's....Wow, spatial location is really good on these. Cleanest sounding earphone I've had. I wonder how cleaner the Etymotic's ER4s compared to these.

Overall sound, I could say it could be...an analytic signature as I feel I should agree with ClieOs's opinion that these fall into analytic category, Bass sounds incredibly clean and still retain some punch although they lack of rumble. Should these bass be called "tight"?Treble? Great.They're bright but not peaky nor fatiguing.Thank God both green and grey filter never introduce harsh cymbals which I hate. These remind me of FXT90 which emphasizes instrument's clarity but  PFE022 is vastly smoother than those. Combined with high-isolating shure's olive tips, these earphones.....are just flawless. Very satisfied with my PFE022. 

Yeah, it's amazing what a flatter response can do. As for the er4s, imagine a cleaner even more open sound. Then throw in some ear discomfort and you should have an idea what they're like. :)

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,899 of 3,308
Yeah, it's amazing what a flatter response can do. As for the er4s, imagine a cleaner even more open sound. Then throw in some ear discomfort and you should have an idea what they're like.
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to avoid analytic or flat earphones because I'm afraid the treble might be harsh. But this is the first time I listen incredibly clean sounding earphone. It's bright but I'm surprised it's not offending; combined with the great isolation of shure olives, these are just....wow yet pleasingly smooth. No need to crank up volume at all. Which "some ear discomfort" do you refer to?

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #2,900 of 3,308

I used to avoid analytic or flat earphones because I'm afraid the treble might be harsh. But this is the first time I listen incredibly clean sounding earphone. It's bright but I'm surprised it's not offending; combined with the great isolation of shure olives, these are just....wow yet pleasingly smooth. No need to crank up volume at all. Which "some ear discomfort" do you refer to?

I guess it's ear rape discomfort on the Ety 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #2,902 of 3,308
Hey guys, is the PFE still a good choice for a balanced IEM < $100? I'm not sure which to get, amazon has quite a few that have different numbers: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=phonak+pfe&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aphonak+pfe

Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #2,903 of 3,308
Hey guys, is the PFE still a good choice for a balanced IEM < $100? I'm not sure which to get, amazon has quite a few that have different numbers: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=phonak+pfe&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aphonak+pfe

Thanks! :)

I don't think they are balanced - more of a V shape sound but they are very good IEMs. You can get them cheaper on earphone solutions (50% off). Or you can buy mine (posted in classifieds).

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,904 of 3,308
Quote:

Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, PFE is still one of the best IEMs in that price range. All of the PFE1** models and PFE012 have the same drivers and should sound identical. The differences between them is that the PFE012 does not come with the carrying case and only includes one pair of green filters that are already installed on the IEMs. The green filters increase bass response, hence the "perfect bass" name, but at the expense of midrange and treble presence and resolution. The PFE1** models come with extra accessories, like a carrying case and various adapters, as well as sets of black and grey filters. However, you can buy the filters separately and thus I recommend getting the PFE012 and buying a set of extra filters for it, as that should save you some money. That is unless you want the carrying case and the extra accessories of the more expensive models. I recommend the grey filters for the most balanced, neutral sound, but the black ones can be good if you prefer more bass and low mirdrange emphasis. Ideally, you should try both black and grey filters and pick the ones you prefer.

The single driver PFE with grey filters installed is actually one of the most neutral headphones out there, having a similar frequency response to Etymotic ER4S, but with a few dB of extra bass. Other options you should check out are Hifiman RE-400, Apple In-Ear and Etymotic HF series, all of which sound great and are superb values for the money. They all sound different though - RE-400 is slightly on the dark side with a warm, smooth, forward and very musical, dynamic and involving sound. RE-400 sounds richer and smoother than the PFE, but doesn't quite have the clarity of the PFE. Apple In-Ear aka "ADDIEM" also offers a smooth, warm sound, but with more clarity and overall accuracy than RE-400. I think PFE is slightly more neutral sounding, but ADDIEM is actually the better IEM overall to my ears with more fullness to the sound, while offering a similar level of clarity and resolution to the PFE. The Etymotic IEMs have a very unique sound that I think is an acquired taste, They sound extremely sharp/well defined and precise, but are also quite dry and lacking in bass quantity and extension compared to the aformentioned three IEMs. Personally, I think that PFE, RE-400 and ADDIEMs offer a more balanced and versatile sound, but I think you should still give the Etys a try if you can. My personal favorite of the bunch is the ADDIEM as I think that it is the most balanced sounding of the bunch, with RE-400 being a close second, then PFE and then the Etys. I find PFE and Etys a little overly dry and thin sounding for my taste. ADDIEM is actually the most technically accomplished overall I think and a price/performance champ, as you can buy a brand new pair from Ebay for under $50.

I don't think they are balanced - more of a V shape sound but they are very good IEMs. You can get them cheaper on earphone solutions (50% off). Or you can buy mine (posted in classifieds).

Maybe you are thinking PFE232, because the single driver PFE is far from V-shaped. It's one of the most neutral headphones and the mids are fully present on it.

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,905 of 3,308

Maybe you are thinking PFE232, because the single driver PFE is far from V-shaped. It's one of the most neutral headphones and the mids are fully present on it.

Yes, I think you are correct.  It's been awhile since I've listened to my Pfe122.  Lately, I've been listening to the pfe232.

Either way, they are both very good IEMs.

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2,906 of 3,308
Most people think that flat headphone are too bright, funny thing because I actually prefer phonak with little boosted mid and treble. What I like about phonak is it is very comfortable, just wow.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,907 of 3,308
Agree; I had my PFE 022 green filter changed to grey ones and it sounded very very pleasant despite of its analytic nature. No wonder grey filters have becoming really rare but thank God, earphonesolution had restocked the grey filters.

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #2,909 of 3,308

Users who are viewing this thread

Back