Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Aug 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #2,881 of 3,305
Hey all. Was listening with my 111s today and all of a sudden the vol. in the left side dropped compared to the right. First thing I did was change filters.... no joy. Even without the filters in I can hear that the right side is much louder than the left. Tried the old reliable 'jiggle the cable' trick with no luck either. I'm wondering since its really hot & humid today if maybe some moisture/sweat managed to seep in. Got em in a jar with some of that dessicant stuff right now.

Anybody have any other suggestions to relay?

I've experienced the same situation before when moisture sips into the IEM. All I did was to let it completely dry out a couple of days and everything returns to normal again

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2,882 of 3,305
I've experienced the same situation before when moisture sips into the IEM. All I did was to let it completely dry out a couple of days and everything returns to normal again

I tried drying em for a few hrs, but it made no difference. While trying to figure what next, I cranked up the volume, and the earpiece made a click/pop noise (kinda like a vinyl scratch) and then everything was back to normal. So far so good. Hopefully they hold out. They suckiest thing was that a few months back Headphonebar got a shipment (small) of pfe012 for $65, but I decided I didn't need another pair. If only I knew.....

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,883 of 3,305
  Regarding the filters: I got tired of cleaning them on a regular basis so I tried using the PFEs without filter by EQing my source. I use the Google music app EQ so it's not very accurate (basically I'm setting all the frequences above 1 khz at -15 db!) but it makes them quite enjoyable to listen to. They sound less muffled this way than with my 5 years old filters. Glad I can still enjoy these IEMs anyway.

Now I'm wondering what IEMs should I buy to replace them when they break down, maybe some Earsonics SM64? Any opinion from former PFE owners?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want a similar sound to the pfe112, the zero audio tenore isn't far off if you get a pair that has more neutral bass. otherwise, some sets vary in the bass and you might get a slightly bassier pair that is still very linear in the treble. For a consistent sound, the kc06 by ostry is at least in the same vein as the pfe112. A bit darker, but really no less detailed. I might even prefer it. Not sure though. Both are very neutral-ish thought and the ostry is only $50. But definitely don't judge it by the price. It's up there with the best.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #2,885 of 3,305
I am about to list my pair of 232 with 2 of the regular cables no volume control cable. They r in great condition and I also have a brand new kit of black filters. $350

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,886 of 3,305
It appears this thread is turning into a classified thread, so here is my pair of PFE-232

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728458/audeo-pfe-232-phonak-iems-add-with-lots-of-grey-filters-and-tips

You can buy extra grey filters with that if you like :wink:

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #2,887 of 3,305

If you want a similar sound to the pfe112, the zero audio tenore isn't far off if you get a pair that has more neutral bass. otherwise, some sets vary in the bass and you might get a slightly bassier pair that is still very linear in the treble. For a consistent sound, the kc06 by ostry is at least in the same vein as the pfe112. A bit darker, but really no less detailed. I might even prefer it. Not sure though. Both are very neutral-ish thought and the ostry is only $50. But definitely don't judge it by the price. It's up there with the best.

Thanks for the suggestion! I see I have a lot to catch up since the last time I visited Head-fi. The Ostrys look like a bargain!

The PFEs are really terrific without the filters, I adjusted the mids (1khz) as well in order to make them sound darker/flatter. Wondering if the current top dogs really have better detail than these.

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,890 of 3,305
  I just purchase this pfe 022. and so I found this that you can turn green filter into grey filter equal, just puncture a hole on green filter with needle, it sound the same!

It might "sound" the same, but it isn't technically the same. The grey filter is a different filter density/design. It doesn't just have a hole in it. There is no hole in the grey filter. While they may seem the same, without a proper measurement and comparison it's impossible to say. Our ears aren't good enough to compare something like that in the time it takes to switch filters, etc. I'm not saying it might not improve the sound, but I wouldn't claim it's the same, that's all... :)

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2,891 of 3,305
My thought was that by puncture a hole on green filter so it acoustic resistance can reduced close to the grey filter, think it sound same or close at FR, I tuned it with grey filter itself, it sound no different for my ear:)

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #2,892 of 3,305
Returned Beyerdynamic DTX 102 IE's for Audeo Phonak PFE 122's which sound amazing with my Sound Blaster Z, and much better than the DTX's with my Sansa Clip Zip, but know I need a better portable source.  The PFE 122's sound significantly better than my AKG K712's as well which is nice.  Guess I need to buy a Fiio X3 or X5.

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #2,894 of 3,305

Users who are viewing this thread

Back