Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Mar 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #1,006 of 1,072
F.... My 3590s started to sound muffled without any reason.... Gonna send this guys for repair under warranty bu i think ill buy 3 more pairs.... 6 euros on spanish amazon right now and i love them. They have served me very well for the last 2 years....

Those cx3.00 are that good?
Has anyone upgraded from the philips to the cx3.00, yamaha eph 100, rha ma750 or vsonic vsd3s?

How do those iems compare with the philips? Is it a very big upgrade in terms of sound quality.....?

Cheers...

i think the cx 3.00 is comparable, its smoother and less fatiguing and splashy in the treble 

build quality wise its a huge step up ( cable is less prone to retaining memory and thicker too). nozzle is also made of metal!

the yamaha eph 100 you listed there is 1 of my favorites! love them so much (sonically speaking) i've been debating on getting a second one for a long time now. (since its been discontinued for a while now)

they have a nice boost to the bass, which makes them a bit warmer, but the midrange isn't lacking either, its neither forward or recessed (quite liquid sounding in fact), treble is on the thinner end but it retains decent clarity (i personally would like a bit more for electronic music) but i'm nit picking now

my only problem with the yamahas is the cable (which is only slightly better then the philips), its not as rubbery, but its just as thin, and prone to memory (you won't get the kinks out completely.

the vsd3s (i'm assuming your talking about the old ones, not the 2016 ones) is somewhat similar to the yamahas in a sense.

but more sibilant and lacking in terms of separation, and the midrange can sound a bit indistinct compared to the yamahas (still love my pair though). for the price ( i think at $42-50) they are amazing! i personally prefer over my $99 brainwavz s5, or my 79$ rha ma600i. 

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #1,007 of 1,072
@tom22 so the yamas are better than the vsonics? Wich would you recomend as a upgrade for the philips? I did not know there was a new vsd3s..... Very different from the 2014 ones? I never tried any but from the things i read about them i always though they had a more laidback bass and not as punchy as the philips.... I like punchy bass, stuff like the hd25, amperior, the philips, ath m50x and etc.....
Never tried the rha ma750?

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #1,009 of 1,072
My one's been serving me for about a year and I just can't stop loving this tiny thing. Lately I'm feeling more intrigued to try out some double/triple flange tips on my IEMs including this of course.

So, any suggestion for some quality double/triple flange tips for SHE3590?

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,010 of 1,072
For the $8 I paid for them 3 years ago they are pretty good. Now the 3590 are $21 and the 3580 are $13. Too much for the price. 

May 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,013 of 1,072
Sep 2, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,014 of 1,072
If u want the best sound out of these earphone.....

There are certain mod

First use spinfits.....dont use other buds because i have tested 20 people and they were getting best sound

Equalisation part:

This comes from the "s/w equalizer for multiple audio formats" thread, but I decided to start writing in a post because I think this can be interesting enough to have its own thread and title:

The advantage of using a convolution plugin for equalization is that it allows to equalize your playback using any equalization you can have access to, including the ones available at wave editors, mastering programs, DirectX/VST plugins, hardware equalizers (both analog or digital), etc.

So, in practice, all this can be achieved on realtime playback using a convolution DSP plugin, such as RealReverb convolution plugin for Winamp. However, this doesn't allow realtime adjustments from the plugin or from Winamp, and requires to generate an adequate impulse respose externally. Still, you can do your real-time adjustments outside Winamp (for example, using any of the eq./filtering possibilites from CoolEdit), and generate an impulse respose that corresponds to the desired equalization, and feed the convolution plugin with it.

How to generate an impulse response? Well, I played with this some time ago, and there can be some details that could be optimized. Still, the basic procedure would be:

- Find the eq. you need/want.
- Pass a "perfect" impulse through this equalization.
- Feed the convolution plugin with the resulting impulse response.

In detail:

1 - First, you have to generate an "perfect" impulse signal. For this, using an audio editor (CEP in this example), generate 0.5 or 1 second of silence, in mono, 32 bit, 44.1 KHz (or the rate your music is recorded at). At the middle of this silence, edit 1 sample and set it to full scale. This is a delta of Dirac impulse signal, it contains all frequencies from 0 to fs/2. you can save it, so that you don't have to repeat this step again.

2 - Now, find the equalization you are going to use. You can use anything you want, from external analog equalizers, or FFT, FIR, IIR, short, long, filters, anything that can accept a signal, equalize it, and ouput the result. For example, in CEP, you could use the built-in graphic equalizer, or any of the other filters it has. Play your pink or test signal from CEP, and make your eq. adjustments so that you get the tightest and clear response.

3 - Now, you have to generate the impulse response equivalent to this eq. For this, simply apply your equalization to the delta impulse generated at (1), and there you have it. In order to optimize the convolution, edit the impulse removing as much zero samples as possible before and after the impulse. You will have to use the zoom to check this properly. Convert this impulse response to 16 bit, using preferably flat (no noiseshaping) dither with triangular pdf, 1-bit amplitude. Haven't tested what effect would have noiseshaping dither. Save this as a wav file, and you have your desired impulse ready to be used.

4 - Now, just downloadand install the RealReverb Winamp convolution plugin (Google for it), and configure it in Winamp so that it uses as impulse response the one you have generated.

The Winamp output should have the exact equalization you "designed" at CEP.

Now, some things to know:

- Convolution is slow to compute. The shorter the impulse response, the faster it will run.
- RealReverb just accepts 16-bit data, IIRC, although 24-bit or floating point impulse responses would result into less noise at the end.
- RealReverB doesn't dither the result, but in practice this is not much of an issue.
- Using this same procedure you can add reverberation to your music, using a suitable impulse response, including impulse responses recorded at real auditoriums or theatres.
- An convolution DSP plugin for FB2K would be nice

This way we correct the eq with least load and lag on music

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #1,015 of 1,072
I think I should chime in here - I am one of those who likes the sound of the unEQ SHE3580.
  BUT let me quote a few people with better credentials than me:
ljokerl ; Dsnuts ; Joe Bloggs

Of course all this is down to personal preference - nevertheless the Philips SHE3580 (and now the SHE3590) seem to be great by consensus with or withOUT EQ.

above is a very abbreviated quote from my post #695 9/1/2013

None of those reviews used any EQ (as confirmed by others - please see replies to post #695 )

The SHE3580/3590 is still listed in the latest 2016 Recommended Buyer's Guides on THL (TheHeadphoneList) -
Quote:
Philips SHE3580 / SHE3590 ($9 – $15) – These bargain-bin miracles may look like average dollar-store in-ears but their sound tells a completely different story. With excellent presence across the frequency spectrum, enhanced bass, and crisp, clean treble, the sound of the Philips is worth much more than what you pay. Small and comfortable, they come in several color combinations and are the perfect small gift for music fans of all ages.

(http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/)

Creds : The Authors (http://theheadphonelist.com/about/)
|joker|; average_joe; jelt2359; twister6; flinkenick; MikePortnoy; Wildcatsare1; doctorjazz

The SHE3590 seems more readily available than the SHE3580 now - and they sound the same to me, within margin of error.

Had been using the mic'd version SHE3575 interchangeably with the SHE3580/3590 -
and have found these sonically virtually indistinguishable from the non-mic'd versions (have multiple pairs of each).
(please see my post #960 )
and the mic'd ones are just great to use with my phone.

But only recently realized the mic'd version of the SHE3590 is the

SHE3595 (link to Philips listing:  In-Ear Headset SHE3595BK/28 | Philips )

The Philips SHE3595 - are still relatively available both new and used for less than $10 on places like Amazon and eBay.

I just ordered a pair to sort of complete my "collection".

Hope this helps.

EDIT to ADD (rather than making a new post)
THL (The Headphone List)
in reply to a query ljokerl on April 2, 2016 12:33 am -
Philips should be $10-12, maybe $15 with the mic. There’s at least four models that are all the same sound-wise – SHE3580, 3585, 3590, 3595. Prices on all of them fluctuate, as you saw. Even at $15 it’s worth a buy, though.

It should be noted Philips had a slight difference in its model numbering convention -
the mic'd version of the SHE3580 is SHE3575 (link to listing on Philips USA) -
the SHE3585 (link: SHE3585/28 | Philips) is actually the Red colored version of the SHE3580 (which strictly speaking is only the Black color - link: SHE3580/28 | Philips)
In the "SHE3580 series" the Colors were determined by the numbering SHE358x (x= 0-6)

EDIT to ADD 2
Received  2 pairs of SHE3595 (mic'd version of the SHE3590) yesterday (9/12).
Initial but very careful listening confirms that (at least to my ears) those both sound the same as my SHE3580, SHE3575 and SHE3590/10 (see below post #1016) - within margin of error. 
More listening just now with my set of test tracks - has re-affirmed the initial impressions.  Because of the "expectations", I was very conscious of, and listened for any possible differences.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,016 of 1,072
Different SHE3590's?

The consensus is that the Philips SHE3590 is the same as the SHE3580 - enough that ljokerl and THL (The Head List) refer to them interchangeably.

Search for SHE3590 on the USA Philips site - the top result is:

SHE3590BK/28

click on Specifications tab (http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SHE3590BK_28/in-ear-headphones/specifications)

Sound
Frequency response    20 - 20 000  Hz

BUT that is not the frequency response of the SHE3580 (http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SHE3580_28/in-ear-headphones/specifications)

Sound
Frequency response    12 - 23 500  Hz

So are we all wrong, including all those well respected reviewers?

No... not quite -

I had studied the specs of the SHE3590 some years ago, and thought they were the same as the SHE3580 -
so what's changed?

OK, half a step back -
search for SHE3590 on the USA Philips site gives a list of different colors earphones -
http://www.usa.philips.com/c-w/search#q=SHE3590

as already mentioned the top of the list is the SHE3590BK/28
looking more carefully further down the list there is another Black model -

SHE3590BK/10 (http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SHE3590BK_10/in-ear-headphones/specifications)
and its specs says:
Sound
Frequency response    12 - 23 500  Hz

Ah... this is more like it, and what I remembered.

A little more digging -

SHE3590BK/28 (http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SHE3590BK_28/in-ear-headphones/support)
Leaflet Version:4.0.8, PDF file, 410.9 kB, published May 20, 2016

SHE3590BK/10 (http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SHE3590BK_10/in-ear-headphones/support)
Leaflet Version:4.2.8, PDF file, 394.6 kB, published May 13, 2014

So perhaps the SHE3590 has changed(?) some time around May/2016?

Please note: I have NOT listened to the SHE3590/28 version compared to my older SHE3590(/10?) versions

However, for me, if I were to buy the SHE3590 I'd make sure it's the SHE3590xx/10 version (xx=color)

A bit OCD/pedantic, perhaps - but might just be important....

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #1,018 of 1,072
What is the most updated version of the 3580 (alikes) or better asked, what are the best versions/iterations currently available?

The "current" versions are the Philips SHE3590 - but be careful when buying see the post directly above yours, and for the mic'd version is the Philip SHE3595 - please see details 2 post above yours.

Both of which are still available.

Best.

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,019 of 1,072
What is the most updated version of the 3580 (alikes) or better asked, what are the best versions/iterations currently available?

Well if you want a "successor" then there are SHE3850 and SHE3900. However, the 3900 is considerably harsher than the 3590/3580... Dunno about the 3850 but it has a "metalized coating", don't know if it's plastic or not - the 3900 has a shiny plastic housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back