Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Aug 23, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #946 of 1,072
And at the same time please spend some time to read on reviews/comparisons on vsd3S and B3,imo....it will give you some ideas for sure. And bass enhanced vsd3 doesnt mean its tuned to overpower the lows or bass dominant either and B3 has dual micro drivers and the way they are designed and tuned to,needs an amp.....The change in sound between your philips 35** and these will be day and night for sure....these IEMs are must to have in our collections and no way it let you down for its sound and price....

The tighter bass on the vsd3s seems nice.... the thing is i dont know how much i will like the smoothed highs... i liked them on the momentums but sometimes rolled off highs mean too dark or muffled sounding and i hate that. For instance i hated the sony mdr 1r for sounding too colored and muffled.

The havi's seems really well made but since i like a bit of bass i dont know if they would work for me... read a comparison of both the havi b3 and vsd3s and it seems like the havi are clearer but have that type of akg bass wich is really to light for me (also the reviewer says he has and loves the q701 or 702 or something like that...).... i had the k550 wich is already one of the bassiest akg's and i hated the lack of bass.... 

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #947 of 1,072
whats ur budget? Whats ur music style(genre)?other than philips 35** series and those senn HPs, what was/is your IEM collection? And pls throw your 35** out of your mind for now.....
wink.gif

Love when people ask that.... XD
Prepare to be confused....

IEM's i only had 2.... sennheiser cx300 wich i loved at the time but its been 2 years since those died.... and now i have a pair of she3580.... as you can see i am more of a headphone investor....

Headphones i had some and here i can give you some more info on wich sound i like...

Sony mdr 1r - too colored and muffled soundinf to my ears, liked the soundstage though...
ATh-m50- liked the bass, hated the mids, the soundstage and the bulkiness but al so the highs sounded a bit plastic and artificial to me. I prefer the hd25 because it just has a bit less of bass and has much better mids and highs.... too bad about the soundstage on them wich is rather confined... i also had the momentums wich i love but had to sell. i loved the tunnin of the sound on them but the pads were just too small and therefore fit and seal were very affected by this...

I have a sony mdr v6 but it lacks a bit of bass when compared to the hd25 or momentum and also sounds dry.... this week i got a senn amperior but i prefer the hd25. I think the amperior bass messes with the mids and i like the more forward and agressive mids on the hd25-1 II. SO basically hd25's and over ear momentum are my top choices for now...

I listen to some indie stuff like radiohead, metronomy and james blake, some rock, from artic monkeys to bloc party to biffy clyro... mainstream pop and a big piece of my listening is also edm. Love group therapy with above & beyond..... 

I want to spend 100 euros tops but if i could spend 50 its even more perfect..... :p

Cheers....

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #949 of 1,072
  The VSD3 is much more controlled than the 3580. The only genre they don't do well in is classical, but that takes a certain kind of IEM to shine in (the Havi sounds like it would). The bass is not going to be too much compared to the 3580 either. You'll like it for indie rock and EDM alike. I listen to both frequently and I love the way the 3s handles them. The VSD1 is similar but has a more congested soundstage and not as good separation between instruments. Clarity sounds a little better on the 3S to me and the VSD1 has a bit more bass. I compared them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/669510/the-new-iem-of-vsonic-vsd-3s-impression-updated-by-smailbz/1695#post_10687161

Hum..... looks nice..... well at least that description made me forget the vsd1.... i dont like very boomy bass. I like the hd25 type of bass. Also the vsd3s is prettier than the vsd1, not that it matters that much though.... my only quible from what ive seen of the vsd33 is the lack of a strain relieve on the jack.... i am affraid the cable will bend and damage easily and stop working with time.... ;(

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #950 of 1,072
  The highs are smooth compared to other VSonic IEMs, but they're quite bright and can be hot with certain tunes. If you're worried about them being dark or colored, you needn't.

Glad to know about that.... the mids are not to recessed as well? That only leaves the bass to discuss.... how boomier is the vsd3? Wich do you think is the best all rounder?

Curious thing.... a couple of weeks ago i was moaning on a portuguese forum about loving the mometums but having to let them go due to the fit.... someone suggested me the weston 4r as the iem with the closest sound signature to the momentums (over ear)..... Dont know if you tried both the momentums and the westone's, but if you did.... do you agree with the statement? If yes, wich do you think is closer to the westone 4r and therefore the momentumms type of sound, the 3 or the 3s?

Ps: I am totally off topic now so i am posting theses on joker's thread.... XD

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #951 of 1,072
  Glad to know about that.... the mids are not to recessed as well? That only leaves the bass to discuss.... how boomier is the vsd3? Wich do you think is the best all rounder?

Curious thing.... a couple of weeks ago i was moaning on a portuguese forum about loving the mometums but having to let them go due to the fit.... someone suggested me the weston 4r as the iem with the closest sound signature to the momentums (over ear)..... Dont know if you tried both the momentums and the westone's, but if you did.... do you agree with the statement? If yes, wich do you think is closer to the westone 4r and therefore the momentumms type of sound, the 3 or the 3s?

Ps: I am totally off topic now so i am posting theses on joker's thread.... XD

i agree with almost everything said above from the other members.

the vsd3s doesn't have a rolled of treble ( theres actually a bit of spike (not a big one) in the lower treble that gives it some excitement 

the rest of the sound like the bass and mids are quite smooth. 

Tbh like everyone said the havis or the vsd3s would be a great step up from the she3580s.

if your worried about the lack of the bass on the havis theres two reasons why i think you in particular (being a hd25 and amperior user) shouldn't have to worry about:

1) just a narrow bore eartips (like the sony hybrids or the vsonic ones) anything narrow would bump up the bass on the havis (its one of the first earphones that i found to be extremely tip dependent in terms of sound)

2) just get a cheap fiio e6 amp(30$) or e11 and that will hit that 100$ mark, to give it more warmth and bass to it, (they come with eq preset as well, so you can play around with that) personally during my time with the fiio e6 amp i just used it without any eq

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #952 of 1,072
 i agree with almost everything said above from the other members.

the vsd3s doesn't have a rolled of treble ( theres actually a bit of spike (not a big one) in the lower treble that gives it some excitement 

the rest of the sound like the bass and mids are quite smooth. 

Tbh like everyone said the havis or the vsd3s would be a great step up from the she3580s.

if your worried about the lack of the bass on the havis theres two reasons why i think you in particular (being a hd25 and amperior user) shouldn't have to worry about:

1) just a narrow bore eartips (like the sony hybrids or the vsonic ones) anything narrow would bump up the bass on the havis (its one of the first earphones that i found to be extremely tip dependent in terms of sound)

2) just get a cheap fiio e6 amp(30$) or e11 and that will hit that 100$ mark, to give it more warmth and bass to it, (they come with eq preset as well, so you can play around with that) personally during my time with the fiio e6 amp i just used it without any eq

Hi tom... :)

Already replied on youtube by the way.... :)

That sounds like "the vsonics will be good for you but i am liking the havis more...."... Am i wrong?

But put yourself in my place tom.... You love the hd25 and the momentum... Wich sound signature resembles more to this 2?

Cheers...

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #953 of 1,072
Hi tom... :)

Already replied on youtube by the way.... :)

That sounds like "the vsonics will be good for you but i am liking the havis more...."... Am i wrong?

But put yourself in my place tom.... You love the hd25 and the momentum... Wich sound signature resembles more to this 2?

Cheers...

vsd3s

i like the havis because its really atypical for a sub 100$ iem. its really lean so you might not like it if your fan of the hd25 and momentum

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #959 of 1,072
Nov 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #960 of 1,072
  Just a heads up though, the sound is said to be worse in the mic'd version.

FWIW - I have several pairs of the original mic'd Philips SHE3575 (as well as the SHE3580 and SHE3590) -
I bought them initially when the opinion here on this thread was they were the same sonically as the SHE3580 -
I did find them so -
then there were opinions that said they were inferior to the SHE3580 -
but there were also opinions that said they did not like the SHE3580 and fitting problems -
and the SHE3590 were not the same sonically as the SHE3580.....
these might or might not be related -
but because the SHE3575 (mic'd version) were so cheap at places like Amazon and eBay
and because I could not hear the difference -
I bought several more pairs since they can function as headsets for me on my phone(s) and tablet.

BUT I have noted that opinion was that the mic'd SHE3575 were supposed to be inferior.

However I have accidentally grabbed a mic'ds SHE3575 (meaning to use the SHE3580) on occasion to listen to something critically -
to discover after the audition that I was using the mic'd pair (SHE3575) -
and re-did my listening with the non-mic'd SHE3580 - I could not detect any notable difference.
If there was any difference for me it was insignificant enough to be less than the difference between samples of the SHE3580 -
I put this down to perhaps the difference in insertion.

Again this is only my opinion and worth no more or less for anyone unknown to this thread

The only thing I may have is owning several pairs of the mic'd SHE3575, and non-mic'd SHE3580 and SHE3590 -
as well a pair of the now legendary Sony MDR-V6 monitors (see also |Joker| review search for (B21) Sony MDR-V6)

Best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back