Philips HP550 review
Oct 28, 2001 at 12:07 AM Post #32 of 86
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin

This coming from a K1000 lover...
tongue.gif

LOL! Yeah, but I never once said that the K1000 were pretty in the slightest!
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2001 at 12:15 AM Post #33 of 86
Imho, they actually look pretty damn spiffy when they are curled up in a ball next to your silver top pana pcdp....but.....chique turns to geek when you put the buggas on yer head
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2001 at 12:31 AM Post #34 of 86
And speaking of Philips headphones, I did try that company's most expensive "sport/street-style" headphone model, the SBC-HS800 - and though it doesn't sound quite as good as the Koss KSC-55 (my info on the KSC-55 is hearsay), for $18 (at that same Target mass-merchandiser retail store) it simply blows away EVERY one of those crappy, WAY overpriced ($20~$40 list) Sony Street Style headphones! (Sure, the HS800 looks crappier/cuter than most of those Sony models, but what the heck?)
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2001 at 1:25 AM Post #35 of 86
These things kind of look like those sony egg shells headphones from years ago. Or do they still make those?

I had one question about the color. I've seen them with cans that are slightly blue and others that are just plain silver on a couple different websites. Which is it?

Oct 28, 2001 at 6:31 AM Post #37 of 86
The earpieces look like they're completely round. I don't think they'll really be circumaural, it'd at least sit over your earlobes or something--unless those are *huge* earpieces
eek.gif

blr? Was it really 'circumaural' for you?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 28, 2001 at 6:24 PM Post #38 of 86
These are advertised on Amazon.com as the best sounding headphones under $100. This kind of irritated me since I have the Sony V6s and i thought that there was no way that these would be better. About a week after seeing them on Amazon, I noticed that a coworker had them. Since I was wearing the V6s then, i traded cans for a day. The bass isn't as deep or powerful as the V6, but it's nice and tight. It also sounds a little grainy compared the V6. They are very light. The pads are about the same size as the V6 but they have a weird shape to them which made them a little uncomfortable.

they are pretty awesome for thirty bucks. also they looked perfect sitting next to my RioVolt

Oct 28, 2001 at 7:17 PM Post #39 of 86
Joe Bloggs
Indeed the earcups are round (hemispherical) and big. My ears are rather small, but there is enough space to spare inside the pieces for someone with larger ears. IMO they're clearly circum aural cens unless used by elephants.

Oct 29, 2001 at 2:40 AM Post #40 of 86
I just bought a pair of these phones. I thought they sounded pretty good until I started comparing them to other phones. The vocals sound a little muffled compared to my sr60s. The hp550 seem more efficent than the sr60s though. I wish I could find my dang v6s.

I'm not so sure if they are closed headphones. I think hear sounds coming out of the little vents on the side.

Oct 29, 2001 at 6:04 AM Post #41 of 86
Semi-closed? Seems like a good compromise to me
smily_headphones1.gif

And I could never figure out what 'grainy' means...
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 29, 2001 at 11:29 AM Post #42 of 86
The HP550 are closed. I also got tricked by the grills, but they serve only decoration purpose, i.e. I couldn't find any more sound leaking through them compared to the rest of the shells.
Tvhead, I guess You wouldn't expect 30USD closed phones to sound better than 70-80USD open ones. I sold my SR60 some time ago, so no direct comparison. Perhaps you can tell us how HP550 compare to SR60 in the bass and treble. From memory I could tell that the bass of HP550 may go a bit deeper, but you have both...

Oct 29, 2001 at 1:42 PM Post #43 of 86
I'll let the headphones burn in all day and tell you guys what I think tonight.

If these things were all black or dark dark gray, these would be the coolest headphones.

Oct 29, 2001 at 6:49 PM Post #44 of 86
I have used the term grainy in the past on a few occasions, and I have always been under the impression that it meant that the upper treble sounded like it was breaking up slightly, or perhaps just a frequency hump somewhere around 10Khz-14Khz where they would be easy to hear and somewhat obtrusive.

I have considered the SB Live's sound to have somewhat grainy treble (Probably due to the 44-48 and 48-44Khz conversions)

Oct 29, 2001 at 11:45 PM Post #45 of 86
well, I believe it was Coolvij who described it very well. some thing like "there's little pieces missing in the reproduction of the cymbals". like looking at a grainy picture, you can see what's going on, but there's little pieces missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back